• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If You're Feeling Sinister, by Belle and Sebastian

Ember

Every Song I Ever Wrote Was Written for You: Belle and Sebastian

February 27, 2013
By Amy Lepine Peterson
At the age of 21, Murdoch was diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis, or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. He dropped out of college and moved in with his parents. In the mornings, he would eat breakfast, play piano for as long as he could, and then rest. For the better part of seven years, he struggled with this debilitating illness; yet he credits those isolating years with forming him into the songwriter he is today.
- See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christ...you-belle-and-sebastian/#sthash.Y9zi2K4W.dpuf

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister - Pitchfork Classic

Published on Feb 19, 2013
An oral history of Belle and Sebastian's seminal record If You're Feeling Sinister.

Misfit Toy

Interesting. I think with many people with illness, when you are so sick, you have to get creative. I did. I wouldn't have become a jeweler if it wasn't for CFS. I am happy for that. But, I never recovered and prior to CFS, I was wanting to be in the world of communications. I would still choose to be well and do that then to do what I am doing now. But, I am grateful that I have a job at all. He is very lucky to have recovered.

Ember

I liked this line: “His illness and isolation emptied him out, creating space for art to emerge.” It reframes our illness, suggesting perhaps a silver lining.