• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IBS and Serotonin

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
So my IBS has mostly been in remission for several years now but in order to change my sleep patterns I recently I tried 5-htp and later L-Tryptophan.

It was such a bad decision for me and I wish I had researched it more. These supplements have triggered the worst episode of IBS I have had in years and none of my go-to remedies are working so far. :(

@Gondwanaland helpfully pointed out that there have been several studies on the relationship between serotonin in the gut and IBS in this post.

I also found a really good explanation for the mechanism for this here.

Just wanted to let others know (in case I'm not the only one who doesn't know about this relationship) so they can avoid this happening to them.

(Maybe we should have a section called Anecdopes [misspelling intentional] to show remedies to undo the things we have tried that backfire on us.) :ill::vomit:

RWP (Rest without Peace)

@Judee

Yes, we've had poor results with 5-HTP (regarding effectiveness for sleep---actually backfired), and so that's no surprise. We look forward to reading more about this, using your link.

RWP + PWR

Gondwanaland

The attached papers address FMS - one of the symptoms is insomnia so maybe they can help. After reading them I have been avoiding to eat fruit after 5PM and also eat them away from meals and these small changes greatly helped me with pain, migraines & headaches, cramps and insomnia.

Attachments

• Fibromyalgia Metabolic Approach 2017.pdf
    210.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Fibromyalgia Remission 2018.pdf
    171.8 KB · Views: 10

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
After reading them I have been avoiding to eat fruit after 5PM and also eat them away from meals and these small changes greatly helped me with pain, migraines & headaches, cramps and insomnia.

Thank you, @Gondwanaland and @RWP (Rest without Peace) .

I don't eat fruit that often because Dr Wilson in his adrenal fatigue book advises against it, I think because in adrenal fatigue the body tends to go hyperkalemic and fruit is high in potassium.

However, I was once on Suzanne Somers diet and she also advises eating fruit away from other things and after I finished her diet I was able to drink coffee which used to "tear up" my stomach. I had not been able to drink it for years. I think you/they are definitely onto something with these studies and not mixing certain foods.

RWP (Rest without Peace)

@Judee

That link you provided was very helpful. I was diagnosed with IBS in 1988, about 6 months before my "CFS" diagnosis (that's what it was called then). I have found quite a bit of help through the years, but it's still a weak area.

I look forward to sharing more info with my PR friends when I can finish my writing project (3-part series).

RWP