• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IAPT - Improving Access to Psychological Therapies - manages CG53!!

Countrygirl

PS: are they implying from that flow chart that a headache which is medically unexplained (sic) can be dx as 'mild CFS'?

The chart does seem to suggest that a headache is/can be treated as 'mild CFS'. They clearly live in an alternative universe......well, it is UCL's ME services, led by Trudie C :rolleyes:. :p They clearly don't know what page they are on.:thumbdown:

Edited to say I was reading the staff list of King's by mistake, where Prof TC is the lead, and not UCL At least I was in the right city which is something to be grateful for, especially at this time of night.

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
The chart does seem to suggest that a headache is/can be treated as 'mild CFS'. They clearly live in an alternative universe......well, it is UCL's ME services, led by Trudie C :rolleyes:. :p They clearly don't know what page they are on.:thumbdown:

To get this right, this is the UCLH adolescent service, which is separate from the UCLH adult CFS service. UCLH is the clinical service associated with UCL but they are different institutions. Neither involves Dr Chalder, who is at King's.

One of the UCLH paediatricians is at least aware of the Norwegian work (I told her about it) but has no particular reason to be aware of Jo Cambridge's work. There are several thousand researchers at UCL and Jo's work has no immediate clinical significance so a busy general paediatrician is not necessarily going to know anything about it. I do not see any particular issue of lack of communication, to be fair.

I do worry about the lumping of MUS with CFS. It is not clear that they regard them as the same - they just treat them in the same way - although it is not clear that they do not. The capitalisation of Medically Unexplained Symptoms, presumably suggesting that it is a Real Disease is the sort of thing I hate and regard as intellectually bankrupt. So it looks bad. What I cannot understand is why the clinical team do not realise that patients are going to see right through the capitalisation of three words that mean nothing at all - other than ignorance.

I am afraid I am reminded again of girls waving flags at Trump rallies. Why? I guess we know why. People are people. Sigh...

Countrygirl

To get this right, this is the UCLH adolescent service, which is separate from the UCLH adult CFS service. UCLH is the clinical service associated with UCL but they are different institutions. Neither involves Dr Chalder, who is at King's.

Thank you for spotting the error. I was reading the staff list of King's instead of UCL, but have now edited my post.