• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ian Lipkin's talk to patients about his research inc plans for ME/CFS

Simon

Action for M.E. | Our news | Prof Lipkin seminar video now online

On his way back from the CMRC conference to the US, Ian Lipkin stopped off to talk to patients in London at an event organised by Action for ME and the ME Association:

Prof Lipkin seminar video now online
16 October

Our video of infectious disease expert Prof Ian Lipkin's seminar hosted in London by Action for M.E. and the ME Association on 3 September 2014 has finally been approved by Prof Lipkin's PA and is now live on our YouTube channel.

Clocking in at just over 40 minutes, we decided to split the video into four parts so that people with M.E. can dip in and out of them in their own time more easily.

We had to edit out part of the seminar in part four of the video series at the request of Prof Lipkin's PA because Prof Lipkin began discussing research that hasn't yet been published, so don't be too confused when the video fades out and back in.

ukxmrv

Thank you Simon!

That's wonderful and very useful to have them split into "bite size" chunks.

The sound isn't very good on the one I just started looking at and I hope it improves on the others? He talks very fast which doesn't help.

That's just a remark and I am very grateful that you have done this.

If anyone comes across a transcript could they please post a link here.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks for letting us know Simon - unfortunately the sound is truly awful - I can barely hear him and their is also a nasty high pitched noise in the background. I don't have severe sensitivity to noise and sound, but this is unbearable for me to watch - what a shame, was so excited to hear this. I wonder if anything can be done to clean it up by AFME? Or if their is a transcript available?

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Just quickly dipped into video 3 and 4 and their is still too much background noise - it will require too much concentration by most PWME to be able to watch. Sorry to be a downer - just a shame that these sorts of things cant be done right for patients - its a bit like having Dunkin Donuts sponser a diabetes conference!

Thanks for your feedback on the films, and apologies that you are experiencing such poor sound quality. We are trying to clean this up as we speak, and hope to upload improved versions as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please do see Simon McGrath's excellent overview of Prof Lipkin's presentation at the UK CFS/M.E. Research Collaborative conference - he covered much of the same ground in the filmed seminar, which took place the day after.

Sean

I have been playing around with the audio, using a bit of compression, denoising, and a lot of EQ, and it is a tricky one to clean up. There are several factors in the problems which seriously limit what can be done with it. (At least what I can do with it.)

See what I can do in the next day or so. Whatever I can do it will sound a bit odd. :alien: :wide-eyed:o_O;)

Even if it can't be made easy to listen to, it should be able to be cleaned up enough to make it easier to transcribe.

I take it this is the only recording we have? Don't want to do a bunch of work on this if a better recording exists.

Last edited:
We've run a short clip from our film of the Prof Lipkin presentation through a piece of software that cleans up audio - it's still not perfect but we'd appreciate your feedback on whether it's any better. If so we'll use it on the whole film. Thanks in advance for your help with this.