• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ian Lipkin receives a 31 million NIH grant

rosie26

Sure is great ! Hope he is able to use some of it for ME research. Wouldn't that be 'Oh, happy day':balloons:

SOC

Will this give him the money he needs for the microbiome study?
Not at all. The money is for creating research center, not for doing any research itself. In addition, there is nothing about this research center that is directly connected to ME/CFS. It's a center for research addressing infectious agents in general. On the positive side, Dr Lipkin's interest in ME/CFS may lead to this center taking some interest as well. They'd still have to get funding for ME/CFS research, though -- always a problem.

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
That will keep him busy for a while :thumbdown: and it was just coincidence that probably he cannot do that study on MECFS? :whistle: I hope he still has the time if we find the money :bang-head:

alex3619

That will keep him busy for a while :thumbdown: and it was just coincidence that probably he cannot do that study on MECFS? :whistle: I hope he still has the time if we find the money :bang-head:
Lipkin's forte is team building and directing. He has lots of research teams that work with him. I expect this wont detract much if any from his ME and CFS research. Indeed with a new institute he will be better placed to help us in the future.

SOC

Lipkin's forte is team building and directing. He has lots of research teams that work with him. I expect this wont detract much if any from his ME and CFS research. Indeed with a new institute he will be better placed to help us in the future.
True, but setting up a research center still takes a lot of the director's time and energy, which is then not spent on other things. Ask Dr Klimas about that. ;)

However, since Dr Lipkin's ME/CFS microbiome research is highly unlikely to start in the next year, the fact that he won't have much time to dedicate to it in the next year or so is moot. By the time the money is raised, the research is planned, the right people hired, and so on, the research center will be up and running and, as @alex3619 said, in a better place to help us. So, all told, probably a good thing for us in the long run.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
True, but setting up a research center still takes a lot of the director's time and energy, which is then not spent on other things. Ask Dr Klimas about that. ;)

It's Dr Hornig who is the Principal Investigator for the microbiome project - Dr Lipkin is Director of the CII and driving the thing but the project doesn't rely on him to be hands-on.

However, since Dr Lipkin's ME/CFS microbiome research is highly unlikely to start in the next year, the fact that he won't have much time to dedicate to it in the next year or so is moot. By the time the money is raised, the research is planned, the right people hired, and so on, the research center will be up and running and, as @alex3619 said, in a better place to help us.

The microbiome study will be done at Dr Lipkin's 60-strong CII and they're ready to go as soon as they get the money. They don't need to hire anybody - they're already in-house. As a US-based crowdfunding project, I expect fundraising to be very fast. I see this starting this year, no problem. Look at MEandYou (Norway population 1/60 of the US)! Look at 'Canary' - $200k in 31 days! It's there for the taking. :)

The faster we raise the money, the faster it gets done.

taniaaust1

Our minds are thinking alike.. my thought was he's probably been given that oportunity and all that money to try to turn him away from ME/CFS by giving him other big things to work on and keep him too busy to be thinking much about the ME/CFS field.

taniaaust1

I so hope that the case..

vli

I received this email following an enquiry to the Department of Gifts at Columbia University.

"The large $31M grant that Dr. Lipkin just received has nothing to do with ME/CFS research and has no impact on our fundraising goal [for the microbiome study]."