• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig respond to the Chilli ME Challenge on July 1st

Bob

lol, the spice-o-meter seems to be all over the place today!
As daisybell says, it's on Thai now!
Those checks/cheques must have cleared after all!

Things are getting hot at the CII labs!

spice-o-meter - Thai.gif

Valentijn

lol, the spice-o-meter seems to be all over the place today!
As daisybell says, it's on Thai now!
Excellent ... now we're into some serious spice :D

The progress bar gets updated on the site by linking to a new photo each time it goes up a level ... so maybe someone meant to change it from spice-o-meter-3.gif to the next hotter one, but went in the wrong direction. That would be understandable, since the numbering could start from either the top or the bottom, and it was right in the middle at 3 :p

Last edited:

Bob

The progress bar gets updated on the site by linking to a new photo each time it goes up a level ... so maybe someone meant to change it from spice-o-meter-3.gif to the next hotter one, but went in the wrong direction. That would be understandable, since the numbering could start from either the top or the bottom, and it was right in the middle at 3 :p
Yes, I think you're right - they had meant to change it up to Thai yesterday but accidentally attached the wrong image.

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
its back to Jalapeño again!

I notice it doesn't say anywhere what dollar amounts correspond to each level, so maybe they have reworked what these correspond to?
It would be nice to know what the actual :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag: goal is !

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
I suspect they're just having admin issues in relation to running the website.
maybe.
but uploading the correct one of 5 possible Gifs doesn't seem like it should be quite so challenging!

Bob

...uploading the correct one of 5 possible Gifs doesn't seem like it should be quite so challenging!
Well, you might think so, but researchers can be quite distracted by their work, you know. They are a busy team at the CII, and crowdfunding isn't their specialty; It's an addition to their main duties so that they can maximize their ME/CFS research. I don't think they crowdfund for any other aspects of their work. I think it's great that they're doing this to support ME/CFS, and I think I can forgive them a few minor glitches in the process. Hopefully, lots of people will notice that Ian Lipkin is doing this for ME/CFS. It's an awareness-raising stunt as well as a fund-raising stunt. And it's a bit of light-hearted fun as well.

BTW, Vincent Racaniello has already mentioned it on the latest Twiv episode.
Twiv @47.50: http://www.twiv.tv/2015/06/21/twiv-342/

Last edited:

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
Researchers can be quite distracted by their work, you know. They are a busy team at the CII, and crowdfunding isn't their specialty; It's an addition to their main duties so that they can maximize the ME/CFS research that they can carry out. I don't think they crowdfund for any other aspects of their work. I think it's great that they're doing this to support ME/CFS, and I think I can forgive them a few minor glitches in the process. Hopefully, lots of people will notice that Ian Lipkin is doing this for ME/CFS. It's an awareness raising stunt as well as a fund-raising stunt. Vincent Racaniello had already mentioned it on the latest Twiv episode.

Twiv @47.50:
http://www.twiv.tv/2015/06/21/twiv-342/

@Bob it was not my intention to criticize at all!
I think it is amazing and inspiring that they are doing this!

and of course we can excuse minor glitches. Honestly I just assumed they had hired someone to make the website, graphics etc. and was vaguely amused that that darned gif seems to be causing so much trouble. (having done many similar tasks in the past I can assure you it would take about thirty seconds to switch out that image) :)

anyways, whatever the spice-o-meter is at this is a great idea, and seems to be raising funds pretty quick. I'm excited to hear what the total is...and of course to see some researchers get their spice on.

aimossy

They are doing this on top of their usual work load. I hope folks cut them some slack. Either way its fun and games and the hotter chilli got plugged so they will have to do the hotter chilli! Poor ian and mady!! Lol!! Hope they get donations for their extra mile efforts for us. They are red hot for research and could be looking into any other illness with a lot less hassell.