• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IACFS/ME International Research and Clinical Conference, 20-23 March 2014

Firestormm

From IACFS/ME December 2013 Newsletter:

The 11th IACFS/ME Biennial International Research and Clinical Conference
co-sponsored by Stanford University
Translating Science into Clinical Care
20-23 March 2014

President Fred Freidburg:

"
An interesting and diverse multidisciplinary program is nearing completion for our 11th biennial international research and clinical conference to be held in San Francisco, March 20-23, 2014.

The conference is co-supported by Stanford University and will be held at the Parc 55 Wyndham Hotel, conveniently located in the Downtown area.

The special discounted room rate is $199/night. Our call for late breaking poster abstracts is now underway (www.iacfsme.org). And early bird registration for the conference is now open (www.iacfsme.org).

We have very exciting news! Dr. Ian Lipkin, called the "master virus hunter" by The New York Times will be our special guest speaker on March 20, 2014, the opening talk of the four day meeting. Dr. Lipkin is a professor of epidemiology and neurology and director of the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University.

He and his team have discovered or characterized more than 500 infectious agents including Borna disease virus and West Nile virus. He also led the definitive scientific study that found no link between CFS/ME and the XMRV retrovirus.

Dr. Lipkin was the first to use purely molecular methods to identify infectious agents, assisted the WHO and the Peoples' Republic of China during the 2003 SARS outbreak, and pioneered the use of high throughput sequencing in pathogen discovery.

And we have more pre-eminent speakers on our agenda!

Our keynote is physician-author Abraham Verghese, Professor for the Theory and Practice of Medicine at Stanford University Medical School. Few people combine a career as physician, professor and author as well as Abraham Verghese, who has been on The New York Times bestseller list with all three of his books, including his most recent work, Cutting for Stone. In 2011, he was elected to be a member of the Institute of Medicine.

Today, in his writing and his work, he continues to emphasize the importance of bedside medicine and physical examination in a time when advanced technology frequently results in the patient having less attention than the patient data in the computer.

Our plenary speaker will be Noel R. Rose, MD, PhD, Director of the Center for Autoimmune Disease Research and a Professor in the Department of Pathology (with joint appointment in the Department of Medicine) at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

He is also a Professor in the W. Henry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology at the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public health. Dr. Rose's pioneering studies on autoimmune thyroiditis and myocarditis helped to initiate the modern era of research on autoimmune disease. He will address the issue of fatigue and autoimmune disease.

Attend a Unique International Conference:The First to Focus on Fatigue in Illness and Health

We expect our 2014 research and clinical conference to be unique, innovative and exciting -- given its broadened focus on fatigue in illness and health. I have already learned through publication of our new fatigue journal how the challenges of studying CFS/ME can be informed and advanced by important research in related fields that we may be less familiar with."

For more information on the conference and registration:
http://www.iacfsme.org/Conferences/2014Conference/2014ConferenceRegistration/tabid/533/Default.aspx

For hotel information:

http://www.iacfsme.org/Conferences/2014Conference/2014Hotel/tabid/538/Default.aspx

Keynote speaker: Abraham Verghese, MD, Professor of Medicine, Stanford University and best-selling author of Cutting for Stone.

Plenary speaker: Noel R. Rose, MD, PhD, Director, Center for Autoimmune Disease Research, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.

Bob

It looks like it will be an important and dynamic conference.

Fred Friedberg said:
The special discounted room rate is $199/night.
That's the discounted rate? I wouldn't like to see the un-discounted rate!

Fred Friedberg said:
We have very exciting news! Dr. Ian Lipkin, called the "master virus hunter" by The New York Times...
He's also seems to be very good at not finding viruses! Or not finding viruses that he considers significant!

(Please ignore my nit-picking! I'm over-tired.)

Last edited: