• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I wish someone had warned me when I first got ME... therapies and treatments

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
You can have orthostatic intolerance and not necessarily have POTS. I had thought they were the same.
Yes, that is my understanding, too. But I guess some doctors use these terms differently? I don't claim to be an expert so take my comments with a grain of salt - pun intended!

Here's a quote from the Johns Hopkins handout found on the Dysautonomia International website:
(PDF file found here - http://www.dysautonomiainternational.org/pdf/RoweOIsummary.pdf )
The medical term “orthostatic” is defined as relating to, or caused by, an upright or standing posture. Orthostatic intolerance, then, is an umbrella term for several conditions in which symptoms are made worse by upright posture and improve with recumbency. This document provides further information about neurally mediated hypotension (NMH) and postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS), two common forms of chronic orthostatic intolerance. Hypotension is the medical term for low blood pressure (BP), and tachycardia is the medical term for an increased heart rate (HR).
Getting back to the thread topic, I definitely wish I had known how much of a problem standing was - or even sitting upright for long periods of time - when I first got sick.

This may not apply to all ME patients (depends on the diagnostic criteria) but if it does then it is very helpful to know about.