• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I think I'm losing the ability to chew

This really sucks, but I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that my jaw just doesn't seem to have the strength to chew harder foods, and what I used to be able to do unconciously while eating now requires a lot of focus and effort. I have to be aware and force myself to chew each time, even with soft foods, and some harder things are almost impossible to chew at all.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it related to ME?
Hoping it's not a new permanent symptom! (Already got some new back pain over the last month to add to the list)

Sidny

Does anyone else have this issue? Is it related to ME?
Hoping it's not a new permanent symptom! (Already got some new back pain over the last month to add to the list)

I have this issue and I wish I knew how or why it was happening. Feels like generally my jaw and muscles around it are shrinking and losing mass so I'm not surprised it's happening but just another symptom among an endless list and I've only been sick less than a year.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
That's happened to me from time to time when I've been really tired. For me it comes and goes depending on my energy level, so hopefully it's not a permanent thing for you. But I've figured out some good chew-free things to eat for those days when the jaw muscles don't feel like muscling: yogurt (my favorite!), applesauce, chocolate pudding, mashed sweet potatoes, etc.