• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I sprained? my wrist holding my phone book

taniaaust1

I have a very painful wrist (waiting to see if its going to swell).

I still dont know how the following happened. I picked up my phone book and was holding it about to look something up.. when suddenly the phone book (the weight of it I guess) caused my wrist to be bent right back.

Usually if my hands give out I'll just drop something (that used to happen a lot but dont tend to happen to me anymore.. well much anyway). Im still confused about what happened with my wrist which has caused me to hurt myself.

So Im now having to type without moving my actual wrist.

What next.. Im a bit shocked Ive injured myself with a phone book. (its the other hand to the one I blistered the other day).

Calathea

I'm not sure at what point you consult a doctor over this, but meantime, don't type with that hand! Ice it if you can, and rest it. How's it looking now? Have you lost movement significantly (although that might be normal up to a point, but it's worth checking)? What's the pain like?

when I read something like this my heart just sinks. I'm horribly sorry that this has happened to you, because I imagine that it has to be very frightening. When I sprained my ankle they had me wear a brace and keep it elevated. I would assume that it might be a good idea for you to consider getting a brace from the local pharmacy and try to keep it above your heart as much as possible. What I'm curious about is why do you think this has happened? It's odd to say this, but because you've been so helpful to me i now feel some kind of a kinship with you. Thank you for that and I wish I could be of more help to you

Googsta

Doing Well
I've done that, it's like the brain forgets to tell your hand to let go, lol.

If you have any analgesic gel give that a go, they are great just don't get it on your blister sister :p

taniaaust1

What I'm curious about is why do you think this has happened?

I still got no idea. Im guessing now that my hand must of actually just suddenly given way and the small weight of that book must of caused it suddenly to just drop backwards with the book acting like a push. I still cant get around book causing my wrist to be pushed that much that it really hurt.

I'm not sure at what point you consult a doctor over this, but meantime, don't type with that hand! Ice it if you can, and rest it. How's it looking now? Have you lost movement significantly (although that might be normal up to a point, but it's worth checking)? What's the pain like?

Its all better now. Fortunately it didnt swell.

I think it was painful for only about 6-8hrs. I didnt get movement loss wit the issue.. the type of pain out of that mishap was the kind which goes from the wrist and runs down the inner wrist some.

Ive never see a doctor over my wrists just suddenly giving way (always has been other more bothersome or worrisome stuff to bring up in appointments), even when it was bad and I was dropping things heaps. My hand wouldnt even know it was about to drop something.. it just would let go suddenly.. hot drink in hand one moment but gone the next kind of stuff.

I dont tend thou to get that any more... I just hope this incident dont mean Im going to head back into some old symptoms of it. I wont worry unless its happening a lot.

SilverbladeTE

yeah our strenght/joints ain't what they used to be :/
takes many months or even years to build up strength of tendons especially, always warned that to folk taking up weight training (amount of idiots I saw starting out being told to use heavy weights by nitwits...omg)

ironic, I used to like ripping phone books in half:
"Me pea brain primitive macho man, watch me rip book, raaaaa!" :p

Calathea

Glad to hear it's doing better, hon.

I find that when I drop things suddenly, it's not so much about strength as it is about having difficulty gauging weight. If it's a strength issue, either I can't pick the item up at all, or it gets worse gradually.

lansbergen

I had it not only in wrists and it fluctated.

I wondered why one moment muscles couldn't do their job and at other times had full strenght. Unfortunately the full strenght moments were sporadic.

I think it is endplate neurotransmission problem at the places where the infection is active at that time.

hurtingallthetimet

hope you are feeling better, maybe someone has already suggested but if laying down prop up the arm so the blood flow doesnt go down it and make it throb, and maybe ice will help or putting an ace bandage..

again hope you are feeling better

Seven7

Seven
Glad to hear it's doing better, hon.

I find that when I drop things suddenly, it's not so much about strength as it is about having difficulty gauging weight. If it's a strength issue, either I can't pick the item up at all, or it gets worse gradually.

Cala, I had this where I drop things, Neuro just raised his eyebrow! It happens when I am doing something w the other hand, if I do not do a conscious effort to think what I am doing w the hand, then I drop.

T, Not sure if you are taking something, I get pain in my Joins like that, Dr told me to back off meds (imunemodulator) when this happens, and so far it has work for me. I skip a dose and then it goes away. For the latic acid pain like (lifting weight like pain), I use the PH balance drops. So far good also.

taniaaust1

I wondered why one moment muscles couldn't do their job and at other times had full strenght. Unfortunately the full strenght moments were sporadic.

I think it is endplate neurotransmission problem at the places where the infection is active at that time.

Your post got me thinking.. maybe its the same kind of thing as when Im standing and my legs suddenly are like gone out from under me as they just suddenly give out at times, no warning at all. (fortunately this doesnt happen often to me)

Suddenly no power in legs at all to support any body weight (I cant even support myself holding onto something at such times.. legs completely useless).

I do find that interesting as babies even new born babes if one stands them on their legs, they them to be able to push stronger and hold their bodies up except they just have no balance, so a new born babies legs seem to be stronger then mine at times when they suddenly loose it.

umm must be all neurological I guess.

thank you everyone for the posts

lansbergen

Your post got me thinking.. maybe its the same kind of thing as when Im standing and my legs suddenly are like gone out from under me as they just suddenly give out at times, no warning at all. (fortunately this doesnt happen often to me)

Suddenly no power in legs at all to support any body weight (I cant even support myself holding onto something at such times.. legs completely useless).

You have got it.

Calathea

Cala, I had this where I drop things, Neuro just raised his eyebrow! It happens when I am doing something w the other hand, if I do not do a conscious effort to think what I am doing w the hand, then I drop.

Good time to raise this point: I trust I'm the only person who finds that the perceived weight of objects changes all the time, depending on how I am? Some days the kettle seems to double or even triple in weight, for instance. In order to pick something up and carry it, you need to be able to gauge its weight and that controls how much muscular strength you employ when you pick it up. If you get this wrong, that seems to be (for me) what causes those incidents when I pick something up and promptly drop it, even though it wasn't actually too heavy for me to handle in terms of strength. I'd tried to pick up a bowl of food as if it were something as light as a box of tissues.

taniaaust1

Good time to raise this point: I trust I'm the only person who finds that the perceived weight of objects changes all the time, depending on how I am? Some days the kettle seems to double or even triple in weight, for instance. In order to pick something up and carry it, you need to be able to gauge its weight and that controls how much muscular strength you employ when you pick it up.

Things feeling heavier then they should.. or once I picked up something and it was almost then ended up thrown, it actually bounced up out my hands as Id picked it up with too much force as I seemed to have 20 times my normal strength or something that day.

Like body cant guage how much energy to naturally put into the "picking something up" act. (cause all this judgement stuff happens on subconscious levels.. we dont consciously think about weight of simple objects when we go to pick something up).

Fortunately that issue handly happens to me at all but has clearly happened at times. It sure is a weird issue and I dont know if the problem is coming from the muscles themselves or the brain.