• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I have some questions for anyone who has ever taken Valcyte...

SOC

I took Valcyte for 6 months to address HHV-6 titres. I started at 450 mg/day and went up to 900mg/day and held there. I don't remember many more specifics because my memory is so bad

It gave me no discernable effect. Didn't feel better or worse and zero benefits, zero side effects. I think a couple times I may have gotten nauseous but it was very short lived.

I had weekly blood tests done and while on it my white blood cell count dropped but Dr Enlander said that's normal since hhv-6 lives there. During the 6 months my titres dropped from 1.16 to 1.4, still a little high but lower, nonetheless. No symptom changes, though.

It was damn expensive. Even with my insurance I was still paying over $1,200 / month. After 6 months of no changes we decided I should come off it.
FWIW, I didn't see any positive affects until after 6 months. I think that's pretty common with PWME. A longer trial is probably necessary to tell if it's going to do any good. If the major effect is Valcyte's impact on microglia, it may be that it takes that long to see a substantial change. Just speculating... ;)

The stuff is dreadfully expensive. :( Good news, though -- I goes off patent (or whatever the medicine equivalent is) this year, I think, so it should get much cheaper very soon. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Thank you to everyone for all the additional feedback and I am so sorry it did not work for you @Aerose91. I can tell from your recent posts how much you are suffering and I am so very sorry.

Valcyte is temporarily on hold for me per my doctor until my vertigo goes away. My RBC count is low (and was low even prior to starting Valcyte) and not sure why. I started at 1/8 tablet and I clearly now have some kind of hypersensitivity to even micro doses of meds that others can tolerate and at least part of it has to be genetic.

I cannot even express how frustrating this is and I am still going to do another attempt with Valcyte at an even lower dose and possibly in liquid form. I also need to raise my RBC some how.

I also want to stress that my doctor is very supportive and caring and I worry that I am frustrating him with my inability to tolerate meds that others tolerate. He of course did not say or even imply this, it is just my own fear. I want to get better and want to be able to take these meds!!!!

SOC

I started at 1/8 tablet and I clearly now have some kind of hypersensitivity to even micro doses of meds that others can tolerate and at least part of it has to be genetic.
Did your doctor tell you to take 1/8 tablet? I was told never to break Valcyte tablets or touch broken ones. You can find this information from multiple sources, but here is one:
  • Do not get broken or crushed tablets on your skin or in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If contact occurs, wash your skin thoroughly with soap and water and rinse your eyes with plenty of clear water.
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/valcyte.html

And from the official Valcyte website:
  • Valcyte tablets should not be broken or crushed

It's also very important to be well-hydrated when you are taking Valcyte. If you are not, that could also be causing problems.

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with it. I hope you can work it out. :hug:

Gingergrrl

Yes was told by my doctor to cut the pill. Dr. Montoya (not my doctor) also said it is okay to cut the pills and many patients are advised to do this who must start at lower doses.

ETA: I should clarify that I have never spoken to Dr. M but several of his patients have reported this to me (in addition to my own doctor.)

Last edited:

SOC

Yes was told by my doctor to cut the pill. Dr. Montoya (not my doctor) also said it is okay to cut the pills and many patients are advised to do this who must start at lower doses.
Okay, as long as the doctor knows what you're doing. :)

Gingergrrl

Okay, as long as the doctor knows what you're doing. :)

He absolutely knows and the main concern is that you do not touch your eyes when you cut the tablets (which I did not do!) I really appreciate your concern though and I had the same questions myself.

RUkiddingME

Somehow I stopped getting notification of posts on is thread so I'm a bit behind. Oh Gingergirrl my toes and fingers are crossed that you can somehow tolerate the Valcyte. About your question about taking it with food- I always do and even though I don't eat fatty foods with breakfast very often, I always take it with my 2000 mg of fish oil which I am on for chronic dry eyes. I also take NAC N-Acetile cystene which was recommended to me by Heapsreal. It help protect the liver etc. I will be thinking about you. Hang in there girl!

Gingergrrl

@RUkiddingME Thank you and I haven't really updated this thread b/c nothing to report yet. My Dr wants the vertigo to stop before I restart the Valcyte and it is not stopping :mad:. It's been a full week and I have had some days like yesterday where the vertigo didn't start until evening but today it started right away.

My BP this morning was 85/55 which always causes me some extra weakness and dizziness when it gets that low so it is sometimes hard to know what is due to what. I decided to try Midodrine again today which in general did not work for me but sometimes when my BP is this low, it brings it up to the 90's/60's.

The vertigo feels different though as if the room is spinning especially when I close my eyes or turn my head to the side. I really think I could tolerate it though if the Valcyte could help me long term. I am not anemic from the test results and the vertigo seems more neurological. It says that Valcyte can sometimes cause hypertension which for me would be a great side effect!!!

When I restart it will be the tiniest dose possible like 1/32 of a pill and then increase every week to 1/16, 1/8 etc. We think this is my best chance of tolerating it or else trying the liquid version. I am still motivated to make this work and have not given up. Micro doses of meds have helped me in the past and I might have a genetic issue behind this.

RUkiddingME

You poor thing!! Vertigo sounds aweful. My seventeen year old daughter had it for a couple of weeks recently and it was aweful. She was placed on medication to help short term. For her most recent episode she tried this technique invented by Colorado doctor which helped her. (Link below) If yours is caused by medication I'm not sure if it's the same benign proximal positional vertigo but might be worth a try. I hope you can get your BP up and things settle down soon :ill:. The very slow increase of Valcyte sounds like a good plan.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/04/23/colorado-doctor-finds-way-to-treat-common-vertigo/

Gingergrrl

You poor thing!! Vertigo sounds aweful. My seventeen year old daughter had it for a couple of weeks recently and it was aweful. She was placed on medication to help short term. For her most recent episode she tried this technique invented by Colorado doctor which helped her. (Link below) If yours is caused by medication I'm not sure if it's the same benign proximal positional vertigo but might be worth a try. I hope you can get your BP up and things settle down soon :ill:. The very slow increase of Valcyte sounds like a good plan.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/04/23/colorado-doctor-finds-way-to-treat-common-vertigo/

@RUkiddingME I am sorry to hear about your daughter and do you have any idea why she got vertigo? Does she also have any symptoms of ME/CFS? (Please, God, I hope not!) Do you know what medication she was given for vertigo and did it help? My doctor is hesitant to give me anything for the vertigo b/c I react badly to so many meds and we are just trying to wait it out before I re-try Valcyte. It is getting better but is still not gone after a full week!

Obviously the Valcyte is out of my system now but it seems to have triggered something that a few people have told me may affected the vestibular neurons in my brain. (My doctor did not use this phrase so I don't ever want to misquote him.) I do not believe it is an ear issue and it feels like something neurological within my brain. But it is definitely positional and is worst when I turn my head to the side or look down to read something and then look back up, etc. I also feel it when my eyes are closed as if the room is spinning. It is totally different than feeling dizzy or lightheaded when my BP is low. My BP was 88/60 this morning (fairly normal for me in the morning before I drink fluid and take salt tablets) but I did not feel dizzy or weak and the vertigo is a very different feeling.

It's frustrating b/c I really feel that Valcyte could help me but am waiting for the vertigo to subside as recommended by my doctor and several friends here on PR.

Gingergrrl

I wanted to post an update that I re-started Valcyte today at 1/32 dose. So far so good and no return of vertigo! I know the dose sounds homeopathic and some are probably thinking I am ridiculous to do it this way but it is my best chance to tolerate the med.

I actually feel a little better today but it is either random, placebo affect, or just due to the hope that I am trying something new. If I tolerate this dose for 4-5 days, I am going to move it up to 1/16 pill and then keep tapering forward. I will post updates on this thread but they will be S-L-O-W at the rate I am doing this, but that is okay.

Thank you from the bottom of my :heart: to everyone who has been helping me with this process and sharing your Valcyte stories and ideas (and in case anyone wondered, I am doing this process with my doctor who also thinks this is my best hope of tolerating it.)

Gingergrrl

Significant improvements after Six days on LDV... (Low dose Valcyte :D)

I really debated posting this, both because of the fear of jinxing myself and the fear of people telling me that what I am experiencing is not possible, but I decided to go ahead in case anything that I share could help another PWC down the line. I also want to preface this that nothing I am saying is medical advice and is only my own personal experience based on my extraordinary sensitivity to medications. I am also doing this plan very closely with my doctor and not going rogue LOL. The term "LDV" is made up by me and not a real medical term- but I thought of it when I compared my experience to the concept of LDN.

Initially, the 1/8 pill gave me severe vertigo and we feared it might have triggered anemia so I stopped the Valcyte. But, my safety labs were perfect with no anemia so once the vertigo subsided, I re-started Valcyte at 1/32 pill. Luckily the pills are large and easy to cut and 1/32 of a Valcyte is about the size of 1/4 Atenolol so it is tiny but not too tiny.

In the last six days at this dose I have had the following improvements:

1) More physical energy

2) Increased mental clarity

3) Return of being able to feel thirsty so I am able to drink 8-10 cups fluid per day. Prior to this it was as if the thirst center in my brain was broken and forcing myself to drink was torture.

4) Significant improved noise tolerance- I was able to do paperwork and type on computer while vacuum, music, etc, in background which was impossible before and I required total silence. I was also able to ride in car (as passenger) and appropriately filter and process all the stimuli of moving cars, music, and talking all at the same time! I was so amazed by this that it made me cry b/c I love music and have been unable to listen to music for a very long time.

5) No new bruises on my legs after two straight years of unexplained bruises.

6) But the biggest improvement is to my blood pressure. When I wake up, my BP is in the 80's/50's but about two hours after LDV (low dose Valcyte) it raises to about 104/74 and this has happened for six days in a row! This did not happen with Midodrine or any other meds that I tried and it is measurable on BP machine. I hope with LDV, I will reach a point that my BP is over 100 when I wake up in the morning but am not there yet.

Next week (on day 9) I will be increasing to 1/16 of a pill and then continuing with my very slow taper. I still have intermittent tachycardia, shortness of breath, muscle pain and weakness, etc, and still require the wheelchair when we go out as I can only walk a few feet. But I am hoping as I increase the Vaclyte, that all of these things will improve.

I cannot explain why this is happening but I am very grateful for ANY improvements and to my doctor who is open-minded and understands that I cannot tolerate doses of meds that even another PWC can tolerate. I may be a mutant :sluggish: in this regard but in case there are other mutants out there, I wanted to share my story. And please, do not do this without your doctor and weekly safety labs.

I know it is too small a dose and too soon to be having any anti-viral effects (and I am still taking Famvir concurrently) so it must be working as an immune mod or anti-inflammatory. I really cannot explain the mechanism of what it is doing and am very afraid it will not last!

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

@RUkiddingME Thank you and I felt so much better on the Valcyte that I completely overdid it (by PWC standards) for three days in a row.

Sadly this led to a crash which for me included tachycardia, severe shortness of breath, muscle weakness, chest pain, etc, and I ended up trying the Nitroglycerin in case it really was a micro vascular spasm (which now I don't think it was.)

So I learned my lesson that when you feel better with Valcyte, you still need to rest (which is exactly what SOC and others told me but I didn't listen.) :aghhh:

I did my safety labs and tomorrow I increase to 1/16 pill. My improvements have maintained (noise intolerance almost gone, BP higher every day after Valcyte around 100/65 or higher, no new bruises, etc). I have more energy but my cardiac and autonomic ability is still so low that I pay a heavy price for trying to use the energy.

But I am hoping as I continue to increase the dose, these things will also improve. It would be a true miracle if they did and at least I have no vertigo or side effects so hoping with this super slow taper that I will continue to tolerate it.

Thanks for all of your support on this journey!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So I learned my lesson that when you feel better with Valcyte, you still need to rest

In Dr. Montoya's initial study there was a requirement that patients in the study "do almost nothing but rest" while taking Valcyte. The exact wording will be here somewhere but I do't have time to look for it right now.

Best wishes for tomorrow.
Sushi

Matt_C

I took Valcyte for about 2.5 months. I started with one 450mg tablet per day in the morning for a few days, then 900mg per day in the morning, then added an additional 450mg tablet in the evening after two weeks. This is according to Dr Lerner's antiviral protocol for ME/CFS. I didn't have too many noticeable side effects, nothing that stood out anyway. I was still dealing with tiredness and broken sleep, perhaps that increased marginally.

I had to stop taking Valcyte due to elevated liver enzymes about a week and a half ago, and I stopped Valaciclovir as well due to surgery. Since stopping i've noticed I have more colour in my skin and I feel a little brighter and chirpier. I can't be sure whether this improvement was due to Valcyte or both antivirals.
I am doing the protocol to treat Epstein Barr Virus and HHV-6.

I had my bloods tested every four weeks, and am now testing every two weeks. I will resume Valaciclovir in another week or so, and Valcyte as soon as my liver enzymes are in the normal range. I will start on lower doses, increase gradually and monitor every two weeks to be sure my liver is coping ok.

I recommend Valcyte and am eager to resume dosing. I plan to take it for a full year and perhaps longer if necessary. I believe it's going to resolve the lingering CFS issues I live with.

I take generic, I live in Australia and pay about $1200 for a 2-3 month supply depending on dosing. Insurance doesn't cover it here.

If you have HHV-6 and are unwell, I think you're on the right track by taking Valcyte.

Gingergrrl

@Matt_C Thank you for sharing your experiences with Valcyte (here and in your thread) and I am having very good results with it too (although at much smaller dose!)

SOC

In Dr. Montoya's initial study there was a requirement that patients in the study "do almost nothing but rest" while taking Valcyte. The exact wording will be here somewhere but I do't have time to look for it right now.
Dr Lerner, probably the most experienced doctor in treating ME/CFS with Valcyte, also insists that patients get a lot of rest. It's my experience that not resting a lot slowed my improvement on Valcyte to a crawl during the first round. I have not had to rest as much during the second round, though.

Last edited:

Misfit Toy

I'm hoping this helps me like you, Gg. I started this whole thing in 1989 with Epstein-Barr virus, which is always still very high. I can't remember which virus Valcyte works with or if it works with them all. Every month at the time of my cycle, I have horrible fever blisters in my mouth. I can't remember if Valcyte helps that, but I will look it up. Tomorrow I see my CFS doctor and I will tell him that I'm joining in. He's very tolerant and open-minded and will allow me to try anything and I have these two bottles of Valcyte here. If I continue at such a small dose it will last for two and a half years.

Sjogrens is believed to be brought on by EBV. And my intercostal neuralgia, too.

My blood pressure is always 90/54. Incredibly low and sometimes it's 80/54. I've had so much fog lately and fatigue and I was telling Z tonight that I just can't go on like this. I've been spending half my day in bed. Of course, it's been way worse since the surgery.

Fingers crossed!! I'm so glad you're feeling better, Ginger- you deserve it.