• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I had forgotten so much ... A description of Neurological Brightening

Freddd

Sometimes when we put information out in little bits and pieces, I, and I'm sure others, fail to see it all put together or that it is possible not see it. I'm thinking right now of "neurological brightening". I picked that as a literal description of what it was like to have a whole lot of symptoms reversing. One of the deficiency symptoms of B12/folate is a literal visual dimming. My experience was an approximately 4 times increase in visual brightness. I was a photographer. I know 2 f-stops when I see it. Hearing is about the same. It "cleared up", like got rid of lots of static and missing bits. Without even noticing it specifically over 50 years, I had lost about 90% of my senses of taste and smell and they had gotten "weird" and unbalanced. I had lost much of my sense of touch and what was left was abnormal. I had a "summing" effect in which an ordinary stimulus such as my wife (or anybody, even me) resting her hand on my hand or anywhere else, became painful pretty quickly. And my energy was so low it was near total collapse. Towards the end I couldn't focus my eyes a lot of the time.

Now turn that all back on and all heading for normal at the same time. What does that look and feel like?

I am right now experiencing somebody else going through it in person. She is regaining her sense of taste and is experiencing distinctions in odor and taste not previously experienced along with very increased sensitivity. Her changes are reflective of her damage. She feels the damage in her body more specifically than before. Everything is brighter. "Mood" is better. Neurological problems are changing, and feeling more and more detailed. And a whole lot more is happening.

NilaJones

I just came across this.

When I first found this forum, and read about methylation, I thought it was odd that people used this term with no explanation. But as soon as I tried some B12 I recognised it. Yes, vision and hearing are much clearer, and it is like my whole mind pricks up its ears.

I also have emotions coming back, and this is sometimes confusing. After years of flattened affect, I do not always know how to manage emotions, or what level of emotion is appropriate. I am always checking with my friends -- asking them if they perceive a person or situation the same way I do. Anger is the main puzzle. I have to ask people if it makes sense that this thing makes me angry. But they always say yes.

NilaJones

Nowdays, when I feel a strong emotion, my first thought is, 'Why am I feeling like this? Did I take too much B12?' and my second thought is, 'Maybe I just don't know what normal emotions are like.'