• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I found something that makes me feel significantly more energetic and happier

MonkeyMan

The supplement that is making me feel so much better is cocoa extract. I've been on this stuff for about 9 weeks now, and there has been a significant improvement in my energy level and mood. In addition, I've been able to lose some weight thanks to this stuff, which I really needed to do. Cocoa extract supposedly has powerful antioxidant and cardiovascular benefits. It's the best thing to happen to me in a long long time, and I would strongly encourage anyone with ME/CFS to try it.

Here is the brand I take, but I would imagine other brands have equal effects, as long as you make sure they have no other ingredients besides cocoa extract (like silicone dioxide and magnesium stearate, nasty additives that make me feel HORRIBLE).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13049756185...61852&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

I take 3 capsules every morning. Years ago I'd read findings about the benefits of chocolate for CFS'ers and started upping my chocolate intake and noticed a lift from it. However, I also started to put on weight, of course. Then in early '09 I tried a cocoa extract supplement that unfortunately made me feel horrible -- because, I am certain, it contained the aforementioned additives. Something inspired me to do another Internet search a few months ago to see if there was a cocoa extract supplement without the additives, and ... voila!! I was really careful at first because I can tolerate almost no supplements at all. But this stuff really agrees with me!! It ain't a cure, but it certainly helps.

I did have concerns about caffeine in the cocoa, and still do, to some extent. The active ingredient, theobromine, is apparently a "cousin" of caffeine, so this is a supplement that you definitely want to take in the morning, not in the evening. I understand that cocoa also contains true caffeine as well, but I've read conflicting reports as to how much. And apparently, cocoa contains compounds similar to THC too ... a nice little fringe benefit. ;)

Drew

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Very interesting

I am glad that it is helping you. Do you know if it would be a vaso restrictor or dilator? It is so hard to find the pure form of many things that may help us.

glen

*GG*

I eat about 30 grams (200 cals) of Ghirardelli 60% cocoa every day. FYI

GG

PS What is the advantage of the stuff you take over regular chocalate? Calories?

baccarat

Yep, it's my favourite antidepressant when I feel down... apparently has powerful antidepressant effects, though it doesn't do much for my physical energy levels.
I don't take pills, just two/three tablespoons of pure cocoa powder boiled in a bit of water until it gets to a creamy consistency, then I add some xylitol as sweetener... yummy!

MonkeyMan

Glen: vasodilator

GG: no calories, more concentrated, and less expensive

Yungas: capsules are more convenient than powder

Thanks to all for your replies!

Drew

Lotus97

I thought the caffeine in regular cocoa powder was making me overstimulated so I tried alkalized cocoa powder which has less caffeine, but it had the same effect. Now it seems like it might have been the theobromine causing me problems. I guess I'm more sensitive than most.

Acai berries are supposed to have theobromine too, but those don't seem to bother me.

If anyone wants a low sugar recipe for cocoa powder just mix the cocoa powder with Vitol Vanilla Ice Cream flavored egg protein powder (all natural flavors and sweetener). LifeTime also has some hemp/rice/pea protein powders with stevia and xylitol, but they're not as good as Vitol's egg protein.

m1she11e

Only bad thing about any cocoa extract is the Arginine content. It cancels out Lysine and makes virus' replicate like crazy. It will indeed lift your mood but not a good idea if you are dealing a virus.

Lotus97

Only bad thing about any cocoa extract is the Arginine content. It cancels out Lysine and makes virus' replicate like crazy. It will indeed lift your mood but not a good idea if you are dealing a virus.
All amino acid chains (protein) have lysine and arginine. Even if you eat a very low protein diet one cup of broccoli for example has 287mg Lysine and 296mg Arginine. One tablespoon (5000mg) of cocoa only has 51.6 mg Lysine and 58.3 mg arginine. I don't see how the ratios of the cocoa extract would be any different.

m1she11e

Lotus,

I know that cocoa and nuts and even broccoli are on the list that tip the scale toward Arginine. I guess if you are consistently tipping the scale in the Arginine direction, even in small amounts it adds up. For those of us doing everything we can to stop viral replication restricting Arginine dominant foods would seem fairly important.

I wont pretend to be an expert. Just I am dealing with viral issues and I know Cocoa is on the top of the NO NO list.

Lotus97

Lotus,

I know that cocoa and nuts and even broccoli are on the list that tip the scale toward Arginine. I guess if you are consistently tipping the scale in the Arginine direction, even in small amounts it adds up. For those of us doing everything we can to stop viral replication restricting Arginine dominant foods would seem fairly important.

I wont pretend to be an expert. Just I am dealing with viral issues and I know Cocoa is on the top of the NO NO list.
I recently found out I have Lyme so I am interested in what you are saying. I stopped taking Flonase nasal spray because I read that corticosteroids could reactivate viruses. However, I'm on a moderate to high protein diet right now because I feel better doing that. I mix cocoa with my egg protein powder which has 1252 mg Arginine and 1624 mg Lysine. Another thing I've been doing which I might have to stop after looking into what you say about Arginine is that I've been taking Arginine, Citrulline, and Ornithine to detox ammonia that comes from a high protein diet. There are other ways to remove ammonia so maybe I'll focus on those. As far as Arginine from foods, couldn't you just supplement with Lysine?

tyson oberle

I tried buying this on ebay, but the seller was unable to accept my payment right now. I've never seen that before. Well anyway I"ll try again tomorrow.

m1she11e

I recently found out I have Lyme so I am interested in what you are saying. I stopped taking Flonase nasal spray because I read that corticosteroids could reactivate viruses. However, I'm on a moderate to high protein diet right now because I feel better doing that. I mix cocoa with my egg protein powder which has 1252 mg Arginine and 1624 mg Lysine. Another thing I've been doing which I might have to stop after looking into what you say about Arginine is that I've been taking Arginine, Citrulline, and Ornithine to detox ammonia that comes from a high protein diet. There are other ways to remove ammonia so maybe I'll focus on those. As far as Arginine from foods, couldn't you just supplement with Lysine?

I was diagnosed with Lyme by a LLMD at one point. Igenex was negative but I had certain bands. I dont remember the details but I treated orally with abx for some time. Finally the Doctor wanted me to do IV abx but insurance wouldnt go near it. After trying all kinds of things for Lyme and getting frustrated I just gave up on treating it. I still wonder if it is a part of my problem along with the viral issues AND the Myclplasmas and God knows what other pathogens.... The whole Lyme thing is as frustrating as CFS. No real answers and nothing is cut and dry.

Im sure that you can load up on Lysine to tip the balance in your favor. That would make sense. The anti-viral diets have you do both. I did he Arginine and Ornithine years ago to detox but that was long before I knew about the viral issues. I actually was taking a skin care supplement that was high in both Lysine and Arginine when I started feeling horrible. This was years ago and I kept thinking there was nothing in that supplement that would make me sick. Finally I stopped and started it enough to know it WAS that supplement. That is when I did the research and realized how important that ratio was. I only threw it out there because of my own experience. I would have saved myself a lot of trial and error had I known way back when.

Coffee is bad too!!! That is a killer for me.... (I know coffee isnt healthy for other reasons too btw)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I regularly drink a heaped teaspoon of cocoa powder dissolved in boiling water, maybe four or five times a day - it's my zero-calorie 'treat' drink. It makes me feel a bit unwell, though! It's better if I eat something small, maybe just an oatcake before. I think that's something to do with the theo-whatsit in it - it makes me feel slightly nauseous.

Not sure if I'm helping or harming myself but I can't drink decaff instant coffee (gives me cracking headaches whatever the brand) and this is my treat...

helen1

My experience with arginine is I took it for 2 days to reduce ammonia levels and my herpes returned. I hadn't had an outbreak in at least 4 years. I know that's just one anecdote but you can be sure that was one anecdote enough for me. I dumped the arginine.

taniaaust1

I have heard that high % chocolate helps but sadly it didn't do anything for me

You're not the only one. High percent of cocoa choc dont help me either. I love my unsweetened choc and do eat a lot of it, I wish it did help. (Cause I cant drink caffiene things or milo, II also have 2 teaspoons of pure cocoa in my hot drinks a day with no improvement)