• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I am having the best day...

TiredBill

@TiredBill - Gosh, I want to apologize if I sounded cavalier. I've read that some people just cannot tolerate cytomel - even name brand and some will opt for Armour or another natural T replacement. Being more tired is even listed as a rare side effect on Web MD.

I hope your doc can help figure out something for you.

Best,
Diane

No need to apologize, I didn't mean to sound defensive either. I don't know anything about cytomel. Other than I do know it really messed me up. Very cryptic notes from the Endo suggest any ill-effects should not have persisted, as I'm lead to believe it clears quickly. But with me, it lasted.

So I dunno what's going on.

Bill

TiredBill

@TiredBill, have you ever tried Armour or one of the other natural brands? I do well with Nature-Throid. I had been on Armour for years, but it disagreed with me when they changed something about the formula.

Synthroid didn't work out for me at all, and neither did Cytomel. I go to an integrative medical clinic now, and that's where I was given the opportunity to try Armour, and now, Nature-Throid. I don't know if regular doctors are willing to prescribe them.

It's been so long ago that it's hard for me to remember, but I think when I started at the integrative clinic, my P.A. got me to address adrenal problems, too. It all took some trial and error, but I ended up feeling a lot better than when I was on synthetic thyroid supplements.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I think someone provided a link to Stop the Thyroid Madness. This site helped me a long time ago:

https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/

I have not tried a NDT. My Endocrinologist is one of the few in my medical group that sometimes prescribes it. I'd wondered about it. The disaster with Cytomel (generic) has me a little gun-shy now.

I've had no issues with levothyroxine. Other than I'd hoped for more benefits. But no downsides.

Bill

2Cor.12:9

No need to apologize, I didn't mean to sound defensive either. I don't know anything about cytomel. Other than I do know it really messed me up. Very cryptic notes from the Endo suggest any ill-effects should not have persisted, as I'm lead to believe it clears quickly. But with me, it lasted.

So I dunno what's going on.

Bill

@TiredBill - perchance are you Spy Car?

TiredBill

BTW, I spoke with my Endocrinologist, my adrenal function is fine.

She was very stumped about the Cytomel provoking such a bad reaction, especially since it clears the body so quickly. I reminded her that I have had CFS for 3+ decades and that sometimes "we" can have cascading effects that others might not have. She said she'd put an assistant on a search of the medical literature.

The good news is the crash has been lifting. Feeling better.

Bill