• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypoxia = Insulin Resistance.

Ema

Well this seems applicable!

Scientists have gained new insights into the molecular process of how some people get type II diabetes, which could lead to new ways of preventing people from getting the condition.

The research, led by the University of Southampton and UCL, which took place on Mount Everest, assessed the mechanisms by which low oxygen levels in the body -- known as hypoxia -- are associated with the development of insulin resistance.

Insulin resistance is when cells fail to respond to insulin in the body. Insulin enables the body to regulate sugar levels. Too much sugar can be toxic and leads to type II diabetes.

The research, published in PLOS ONE, found that several markers of insulin resistance were increased following sustained exposure (6-8 weeks) to hypoxia at high altitude and that this change was related to increased blood levels of markers of inflammation and oxidative stress. The data came from a study called Caudwell Xtreme Everest, which took place in 2007 and was coordinated by the UCL Centre for Altitude, Space and Extreme environment medicine (CASE Medicine).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...cedaily+(Latest+Science+News+--+ScienceDaily)

pattismith

I discovered I have chronic hypoxia with high Arterial PCO2 (respiratory acidosis) and insulin resistance + urine calcium oxalate crystals + restless legs.

It is known that hypoxia acidosis produces low bicarbonate and citrate in urine, acidic urine and nephrolithiasis.

Acidosis is also known to be associated with insulin resistance;

It's also known that restless legs is associated with peripheral hypoxia, which can be reverted by Pramipexole!

Peripheral hypoxia in restless legs syndrome (Willis-Ekbom disease) - PubMed (nih.gov)

Last edited: