• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypovolemia as a Model of Space Flight (NASA)

voner

I came across this little tidbit at a NASA site and I just thought I'd post this to see if it's stimulated any thoughts in relation to our orthostatic intolerance. orthostatic intolerance in astronauts is a very well-known phenomenon, but I did not know they had been studying hypovolemia.

I did not find the text of the study, I just found this description of the NASA site:

This study has demonstrated that plasma volume loss contributes to, but does not fully explain, space flight-induced orthostatic intolerance and decreased cardiac function. Thus, pharmacologically-induced plasma volume loss may be an acceptable tool to test the efficacy of some countermeasures against orthostatic intolerance (i.e. compression garments). Hypovolemia may be an appropriate alternative model to a more costly and time-consuming analog (i.e. bed rest) in certain circumstances.

The testing of pharmacological countermeasures to orthostatic intolerance, original objectives of this project, was canceled prior to the start of data collection.

here is the website.

http://humanresearchroadmap.nasa.gov/Tasks/task.aspx?i=939