• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypothalamus Plays Key Role in T2 Diabetes.

Ema

http://www.washington.edu/news/2013...od-sugar-metabolism-and-diabetes-development/

November 6, 2013

Brain may play key role in blood sugar metabolism and diabetes development
Michael McCarthy
UW Health Sciences and UW Medicine

Posted under: Health and Medicine, Research, Science

A growing body of evidence suggests that the brain plays a key role in glucose regulation and the development of type 2 diabetes, researchers write in the Nov. 7 ssue of the journal Nature. If the hypothesis is correct, it may open the door to entirely new ways to prevent and treat this disease, which is projected to affect one in three adults in the United States by 2050.

In the paper, lead author Dr. Michael W. Schwartz, UW professor of medicine and director of the Diabetes and Obesity Center of Excellence, and his colleagues from the universities of Cincinnati, Michigan, and Munich, note that the brain was originally thought to play an important role in maintaining normal glucose metabolism With the discovery of insulin in the 1920s, the focus of research and diabetes care shifted to almost exclusively to insulin. Today, almost all treatments for diabetes seek to either increase insulin levels or increase the body’s sensitivity to insulin.

“These drugs,” the researchers write, “enjoy wide use and are effective in controlling hyperglycemia [high blood sugar levels], the hallmark of type 2 diabetes, but they address the consequence of diabetes more than the underlying causes, and thus control rather than cure the disease.”

New research, they write, suggests that normal glucose regulation depends on a partnership between the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas, the pancreatic islet cells, and neuronal circuits in the hypothalamus and other brain areas that are intimately involved in maintaining normal glucose levels. The development of diabetes type 2, the authors argue, requires a failure of both the islet-cell system and this brain-centered system for regulating blood sugar levels .

cont...

Valentijn

It's fascinating how Type II diabetes is sold as being almost entirely based on lifestyle choices.

Yet there's so much research showing that if you have a certain dysfunction or SNP (and/or a virus to trigger it), you're basically screwed no matter what you do.

alex3619

I read research in about 1993 that showed a strong link to brain in diabetes. Dysfunctional liver stuffs up the hypothalamus, and poor regulation of fat by the liver is tied to type 2 diabetes. All these systems are connected. ME also has problems with both liver metabolism and hypothalamic metabolism.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I think the reason behind using cycloset(quick acting bromocriptine) a dopamine agonist is its function on the hypothalamus, possibly fixing/adjusting cortisol/circadian rthym and improving insulin sensitivity.
Wow thats alot in 2 sentances??

Interesting mentioning fat metabolism in the liver as a recent article i posted on here showed how australian scientist proved howe metformin improved insulin sensitivity, which was through fat metabolism in the liver.

I think its showing that most illnesses require a multi pronged attack.

alex3619

[quote="heapsreal, post: 403020, member: 187"Interesting mentioning fat metabolism in the liver as a recent article i posted on here showed how australian scientist proved howe metformin improved insulin sensitivity, which was through fat metabolism in the liver.[/quote]

Yes, I am wondering if Metformin can treat ME. I think it might indicate mulitple targets, but I think it has more to do with the observation that complicated as-yet-not-understood diseases are often multi-systemic. Isolate and test, reductionist science, has limited value in complex systemic disease.

Ema

[quote="heapsreal, post: 403020, member: 187"Interesting mentioning fat metabolism in the liver as a recent article i posted on here showed how australian scientist proved howe metformin improved insulin sensitivity, which was through fat metabolism in the liver.

Yes, I am wondering if Metformin can treat ME. I think it might indicate mulitple targets, but I think it has more to do with the observation that complicated as-yet-not-understood diseases are often multi-systemic. Isolate and test, reductionist science, has limited value in complex systemic disease.
Metformin raised my liver enzymes so I ended up stopping it. It also didn't do much for lowering my blood sugar either which was a big disappointment (and a surprise!). I was really hopeful about Cycloset as well but the side effects were intolerable. Whatever is going on in these systems, it seems (at least in me!) to be very resistant to intervention!