• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypertension following Vitamin D supplementation

I normally have mild hypertension 135-150/85-100. But following a 10 day supplementation of vitamin D which would have totaled 115,000IU(5000-15,000 IU per day) I had a case of what would be classed as severe hypertension 165-178/95-115. It lasted around 7-10 days and now my blood pressure has returned to the original mild hypertension range.

From what I have read vitamin D deficiency can cause hypertension and I do actually have low vitamin D, hence the supplementing. But also Vitamin D toxicity can cause hypertension. There's 3 possible reasons I have come up with for the cause of the hypertension:

1) Vitamin D causing magnesium depletion
2) Short term vitamin D toxicity
3) coincidental and unrelated to vitamin D supplementation.

Early on(day 2-7 of supplementation) I felt my mood was better and it felt like the bone pain in my feet that i notice in the mornigns went away. It could have been placebo.

Seven7

Seven
I have issues with Vit D, in my case is allergy like symptoms, I am mutated in the VDR gene (I think is the Vit D one). I am low but I felt so miserable on it that I just go outside and get sun instead. But what kind of D are you doing D3????

rwac

Large doses of vitamin D can cause hypercalcemia. Have you checked for elevated serum calcium? What are your normal levels of vit D like? Have you tested for elevated PTH, it can increase conversion to the active form and increase serum calcium.
Vitamin K2 MK-4/vitamin A should work to lower the calcium.

I was taking Now's vitamin d3 cholecalciferol

Rwac, that was one of the theories I had actually. However, during my severe hypertensive period I had a blood test done that showed that calcium I think was 9.86 and Parathyroid was 3.5, smack bang in the middle of the range. I was actually disappointed that I dont have hyperparathyroidism. It seems like an easy fix.

rwac

Do you have units and a range for those values?

Might be worth trying vitamin A(retinol), K2(MK4) and perhaps vitamin E(vegetable oil free for best effect). All of them will reduce blood pressure.