• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Huge “All of Us” NIH Initiative Offers Possibilities for ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
“It will be transformative.” Francis Collins

Neither chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) or fibromyalgia (FM) exactly feel welcome at the NIH. Funding for both diseases is pitiful, but a program has just opened up which welcomes everyone’s participation. A top Harvard neurologist has suggested that the ME/CFS community look into participating in one of most ambitious medical projects ever attempted. If you live in the United States and are over 18, you are invited.

hero-image-journey%402x.jpg

All of Us is on tour across the U.S.

The All of Us precision medicine program, created by the NIH, is looking for one million people in the United States who are willing to have their genomes sequenced and provide their medical record,s along with blood and urine samples over the next ten years. The goal is to provide insights into how and why people come down with chronic diseases.

The All of Us precision medicine program is the latest and easily the largest of recent efforts to create GIANT biobanks that will help researchers understand diseases better. Over the next ten years, the NIH is going to spend — get this — about $1.5 billion dollars on the initiative.

It’s been in planning and testing mode for about three years. The sheer size of the project will require building new infrastructure. There aren’t, for instance, enough gene sequencing machines currently available in the U.S. to do all the sequencing All of Us is going to do. (All of Us is hoping the project will spur new, less expensive and more effective gene sequencing technologies.)

The program will ask you to give blood/urine samples, participate in surveys, and provide your digital medical information. It will do your genetic sequencing for free – and provide it to you – and possibly provide tracking devices such as FitBits. (Its enticement for the blood draw is a $25 Amazon.com gift card).The program which has just been opened to the public is already getting about 10,000 blood samples a day.

Francis Collins believes projects like this are the only way to generate enough data to understand how our genes interact with the environment (e.g. history of infections, toxic exposures) and lifestyle (exercise, smoking, drinking, etc.) to create disease.

It’s also a way to get people with poorly studied diseases like chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia to get their medical data into a major research database for free. Because the program will also be tracking health over time, it provides the opportunity for researchers to track the disease progression and even possibly assess treatment effectiveness.

Data from the project will, of course, be anonymized and be available to ME/CFS and FM researchers who can apply to use it. All at no cost to the patients. If we get enough ME/CFS and FM patients in there, it could be a gold mine.

When I enrolled in All of Us, it took me about 45 minutes to go through the videos and questionnaires. (You can stop, log out and then start the program later.) The beginning questionnaires are very basic.

Some parts of the program are off to a rocky start. Neither the digital data upload or health tracking systems were available when I logged on. I was also asked to provide a blood sample but the system could not find a nearby blood draw location (in Las Vegas (lol)). My goal was to get established in the program. I have some nice medical data I want in that database and I’m going to be getting more in the future.

Let’s put our hard-earned data to work and get that database packed with data from ME/CFS and FM patients.

Find out more about All of Us here and enroll here.

Dan_USAAZ

This sounds like a very exciting and massive initiative!

“It will be transformative.”
The program will ask you to give blood/urine samples, participate in surveys, and provide your digital medical information. It will do your genetic sequencing for free – and provide it to you – and possibly provide tracking devices such as FitBits. (Its enticement for the blood draw is a $25 Amazon.com gift card).The program which has just been opened to the public is already getting about 10,000 blood samples a day.

@Cort, Can you point me to a link where they indicate that they will provide the participant with their genetic sequencing. I see in their literature that if you participate, you will fill out health surveys/questionnaires and that you MAY be asked to provide bio-samples (blood, urine, saliva). I have found nothing in regard to them providing the genetic data back to the participant. All I can find in the literature are generic statements like the following:

“Participants will get information back about the data they provide, which may help them learn more about their health.”

Providing the participant with their genetic sequencing would be a huge enticement to participate, but getting that volume of data back to them might be a little challenging.
Thanks.

Dan_USAAZ

I have found some more detail in regard to the genetic sequencing and what might be provided to the participant.

The following links provide some information, but suggest to me that the genomic strategy and what would be provided to the participant are still being worked out. As an example, one scenario suggests providing the pathogenic variants.

Genomics Working Group of the All of Us Research Program Advisory Panel

Considerations Toward a Comprehensive Genomics Strategy

The second link/document is dated December 5, 2017. If anyone finds more recent info, please share.

rel8ted

Forgive me while I refrain from being excited to the government having access to my electronic health record and bio-samples. If we use VA as an example of how the government handle such matters, there is no way would agree to this. Sounds terrific.I hope for those participating that it turns out well.

I like the idea of the research, just not who is behind it.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Given my history and how public I am privacy isn't much of an issue I guess but I understand how you feel. Hopefully the NIH will do better than the VA which has had massive issues over the years.

On the flip side giving researchers access to your laboratory data, co morbidities, genomic data, health status over time could be very helpful for the ME/CFS field. I wonder where the research will be in ten years and how valuable those samples and information will be. Who knows?

Hopefully we'll have a thriving field by then which will be ready to take advantage of whatever data is gathered.

Last edited:

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Yes it is still being worked out. I wondered about that as well and then I found an article where Collins discusses how to provide genomic data to the participants - which I'm having trouble finding (lol)
I have found some more detail in regard to the genetic sequencing and what might be provided to the participant.

The following links provide some information, but suggest to me that the genomic strategy and what would be provided to the participant are still being worked out. As an example, one scenario suggests providing the pathogenic variants.

Genomics Working Group of the All of Us Research Program Advisory Panel

Considerations Toward a Comprehensive Genomics Strategy

The second link/document is dated December 5, 2017. If anyone finds more recent info, please share.

Last edited:

rel8ted

Given my history and how public I am privacy isn't much of an issue I guess but I understand how you feel. Hopefully the NIH will do better than the VA which has had massive issues over the years.

On the flip side giving researchers access to your laboratory data, co morbidities, genomic data, health status over time could be very helpful for the ME/CFS field. I wonder where the research will be in ten years and how valuable those samples and information will be. Who knows?

Hopefully we'll have a thriving field by then which will be ready to take advantage of whatever data is gathered.
It's not really about privacy, per se, Court. it's about what power will the government usurp once they have the data. IT's a horrible pattern. We are not so far removed from the policies of other countries that awful things like sectioning or refusing to allow parents to seek medical treatment for their infants could not happen here. I AM for research. I believe with every fiber of my being that we need a reason for this disease so that not one more human being has to endure the degree of suffering that some families have. I simply need to trust the entity that gets my data. I don't mean this in a politicized or conspiratorial way.I just know from experience what can happen when Uncle Sam gets health data. I'm leaving it at that.

Last edited:

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Cool idea! I do have one concern:

It will do your genetic sequencing for free – and provide it to you

If people don't yet have life insurance or long term care insurance, they might want to obtain it before doing any sort of genetic testing. If your results indicate an elevated risk of any kind of medical problem it may affect your ability to get these types of insurance in the future.