• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to supplement potassium ?

Dear all,

I have read that potassium is needed in big ammounts wether you try Fredd or Rich's protocol. I've read people that needs grams of potassium x day to keep the methylation working.

However, I've read that potassium supplementation is limited to 99g per pill because more can cause you stomach problems.

How should one supplement potassium then ? I've read elsewhere Fredd recommending to use 500mg potassium in a glass of water. Is this safe ?

*GG*

It's probably "safe", will not kill you, but as you write, perhaps it could cause intestinal distress?

GG

Adster

I use Potassium Chloride as a salt substitute with meals, with a bit of normal salt too. Don't ever take this with water or on an empty stomach or without food though, it's really hard on the gut. Maybe the other potassium types are gentler. The salt is a convenient way to get it though.

Ema

I take slow release potassium which comes as 20 mEQ tablets which is equivalent to 1500 mg.

My doctor says that slow release potassium is the best way to raise potassium levels due to the feedback mechanism which causes potassium to be excreted in the urine if a large amount coming in at one time is sensed by the body. Potassium is tightly controlled by the body because too much is deadly as is too little.

I have to get monthly electrolyte labs while taking potassium to make sure my levels are good. I would not recommend taking high doses of potassium without planning to make routine labs a part of your life as well.

That said, having good potassium levels finally has eased my muscle pains and PMS. Totally worth it!

Ema