• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to stop my hair getting oily so I don't have to wash it so much?!

Sea

A hairdresser once told me that it takes 6 weeks of washing with water only for the scalp to adjust and balance its oil production. I've read that figure on the "no poo" sites too. I haven't tried leaving it that long though.

I used to be a shampoo everyday person but I've managed to only use shampoo once a week now and just water inbetween. I don't manage a shower everyday so there are some days my hair doesn't get washed.

caledonia

Go hypothyroid - your hair will be nice and dry after awhile. (Another hint of a hormonal cause.)

I was experimenting with different variations of no poo for awhile. If you use baking soda it will really strip out the grease. It's probably easiest to put some shampoo in your hand, then mix some baking soda into it.

Sometimes just switching brands of shampoo will help. Your hair gets used to one brand and gets gunked up with whatever they put in it. A new brand will strip that out. Then just alternate back and forth.

Mog

Another alternative to dry shampoo is talc.
Although when you do eventually get round to washing your hair, you have to wash out grease AND powder :)

Ocean

I have dry hair so unless I use hair products I can go really long without washing my hair. One idea is washing with baking soda and vinegar, have you tried that? Maybe it would help, but maybe it would worsen the problem, I'm not sure. I used that method for quite a while.

CAcfs

I use baby powder as dry shampoo (and it works GREAT!), the talc kind, but my hair is dark blonde in some areas and light blonde in others. Even some brunettes can maybe get away with it, if you rub it in and then blot it out.

However, I don't like scents at all, so I looked into alternatives. Apparently some brands of dry shampoo are made with rice flour or rice starch (whichever is the finest, used for baking I assume), with a few other ingredients, so I assume you can cut the other ingredients out? And I also read you can use corn starch. So I am presuming anything very fine textured and "flour like" would work.....I thought about buying rice flour or corn starch at healthfood store, to use instead of baby powder, but never got around to it.

I think talc powder makes some people sneeze, and I heard women who use it "down there" have higher rates of cancers of that general area.....though still very small risk...so I may change eventually (even though I don't use it down there, but it scares me to think I'm breathing it in), but right now I do like the talc baby powder. I think dark hair could probably get away with it, because you can brush or towel-rub it out. It works by literally soaking up the grease!!!!!!

Also, I noticed if I don't take my fish oil, I have way less oil on my scalp and can go another day without washing. But I feel the fish oil's important. I think any oils can leach out of the scalp, you may notice if you take a lot of oils. But they are so important!

I will wear a baseball cap too if I have to go out in public and my hair is greasy, and I am too lazy to do baby powder. I just only have the energy for a certain number of showers per week. When I have bad body odor, I use alcohol swabs used for pre-injection, and wipe under my arms.....for me it doesn't sting. I like them because they kill the germs that cause the odor and aren't loaded with scents. Then I will use acne pads on my face and back. Complicated, I know....but I am seriously fatigued.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
If it came on kind of sudden I would be putting my money on a hormonal imbalance. An over active adrenal can do it because cortisol will give your sebaceous glands a boost.

I've got to have a good bit of testing done in about 2 weeks and very oily hair and forehead is on my list. By the afternoon I have to wipe my forehead with some seabreeze to cut the oil down or it will eventually get in my eyes.

I beleive the cause is about 3 months ago my Androgel ran out and I had just had it checked and the Total Testosterone was 510 which is a good level for m3. I was getting Androgel through Abbott's Patient Assistance Program. For whatever reason it took 5 weeks to my new prescription in and I was feeling like hell. They checked TT again to see where I was at and it had dropped all the way down to 81. So, he put me on a little bit higher dose to try and get my levels backup a little faster. For whatever reason getting it backup was very hard this time and I'm pretty sure it has increased my estradiol, DHT, prolactin or possibly progesterone and as well could have pushed up cortisol and that went up partially to being under some very bad stress.

I have been feeling very hot and clamy feeling to just plain hot and sweaty even in my air conditioning. Yesterday afternoon I had sweat rolling off the back of my head like I had just got out of the shower. I'm going to have to pressure my doctor in 2 weeks to pull s good many labs. This is going to determine if I keep going to him. I have already had a heart to heart talk with him and he seemed good with it as long as something consistently may be raising a red flag with someone. Really not sure what he meant by that.

Good luck with the oily hair and that just so happens to be one of my pet peeves is having oily looking hair. Thanks to everyone else for the tips and tricks as well!!!

taniaaust1

so I washed it last night in preparation and even after four applications of shampoo, it still felt greasy - just gave it another couple, still feels greasy

From what you said there, your shampoo itself is certainly one issue. There is no way in which it should take shampooing hair four times straight to get the oil out. (I wonder if you are using one of those conditioning shampoos, Ive found those to be typically oily). Find a good shampoo in which will get that oily feel out first go so you arent scrubbing your head so much.

The more you scrub your hair in the roots area.. the more it stimulates it and increases its oil. So with those four shampoo applications.. you would of certainly made it increase the amount of oil your hair produces.

I have my hair to the point in which it only needs washing once a fortnight (sometimes it goes longer) before it starts to get oily. It will take a lot of time to slowly stretch out how long your hair can go before it just really needs a shampoo.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
From what you said there, your shampoo itself is certainly one issue. There is no way in which it should take shampooing hair four times straight to get the oil out. (I wonder if you are using one of those conditioning shampoos, Ive found those to be typically oily). Find a good shampoo in which will get that oily feel out first go so you arent scrubbing your head so much.

I've tried a lot of shampoos and none of them get the oil out first go. I'd gone a few days without washing my hair because I was too ill to do it, which is why it took so many applications of that one last week but I find all shampoos pretty useless, even (especially?) the ones intended for oily hair.

I've just ordered some cornstarch!

Meantime, good to know it can take time to stretch out how long you can go without washing your hair.

This is clearly an issue that affects a lot of people - I think this must be one of the most popular threads I've ever posted!

peggy-sue

It does sound weird that you need to shampoo 4 times - this will certainly be encouraging the grease to flow!
I have read about doing home olive oil conditioning treatments, which involve a huge load of grease in the hair.

The way that is recommended that you get rid of it, is to put neat shampoo on your hair and rub it in - before you wet it.

CAcfs

Good luck with the cornstarch...I hope it ends up being "powdery" enough to work. If not, go with the talc baby powder!

I have noticed that if I lather up then let the shampoo "sit" for a minute or two (or 3?) before rinsing, it de-greases better. I think this works better than shampooing twice. Just let it soak in for a few min.

I use John Frieda Sheer Blonde (was using "for dark blonde" but recently switched to "go blonder" variety) because for some reason I've found it degreases really well! And that is actually a big criteria for me. It has to rinse out and take the grease out with it. Then I dilute it halfway with Desert Essence Fragrance Free Shampoo, to reduce the perfumey smell by half.

I think that Desert Essence stuff probably would do a good job degreasing on its own, because it's a squeaky-clean kinda shampoo, but I like mixing with the Sheer Blonde because it detangles too, which I need.

ps--you can get desert essence on iherb.com, can probably get the john frieda on amazon or drugstore.com

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I have noticed that if I lather up then let the shampoo "sit" for a minute or two (or 3?) before rinsing, it de-greases better. I think this works better than shampooing twice. Just let it soak in for a few min.

Thanks, that's a really interesting tip - I haven't heard that one before. I find washing my hair very tiring so anything that saves me the arm movements would be great! I'll try that.

I use John Frieda Sheer Blonde (was using "for dark blonde" but recently switched to "go blonder" variety) because for some reason I've found it degreases really well! And that is actually a big criteria for me. It has to rinse out and take the grease out with it. Then I dilute it halfway with Desert Essence Fragrance Free Shampoo, to reduce the perfumey smell by half.

I think that Desert Essence stuff probably would do a good job degreasing on its own, because it's a squeaky-clean kinda shampoo, but I like mixing with the Sheer Blonde because it detangles too, which I need.

ps--you can get desert essence on iherb.com, can probably get the john frieda on amazon or drugstore.com

That's good to know - so many shampoos I've bought I just throw away after trying them once because they've left my hair full of oil.

peggy-sue

To save on arm movements, sit on a small stool while showering.

(I use a small plastic "step-stool", secured on the bottom of the bath by a "hairy" rubber mat.)

Prop your elbows on your knees and drop your head down to your hands to do the washy bit!

The only thing you need to remember when sitting and showering is that after you have soaped your bum, you need to rinse it before sitting down again, or you may go flying.......:whistle:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi peggy-sue - I do all that and I agree it's a great help. I wish I'd started doing it years earlier! I have a board that fits across the shower, rather than a stool and I stay sitting down to dry myself.

Tammy

wow...........I can't believe how many hits resulted from this oily hair thread. Ummmmmmmmmmmm. I was thinking if you didn't have the umf to do anything with it....maybe a nice scarf to wear until the next wash?

GracieJ

Hmm. Wow. Just as I am starting a trial of coconut oil on my scalp to see if it really does encourage hair to grow back. Supposedly the hormone (?) that takes over in the hair follicle and kills growth can be eliminated. Will have to follow this thread. So far, my hair has actually needed washing LESS. Bodies are so odd.

GcMAF Australia

Hmm. Wow. Just as I am starting a trial of coconut oil on my scalp to see if it really does encourage hair to grow back. Supposedly the hormone (?) that takes over in the hair follicle and kills growth can be eliminated. Will have to follow this thread. So far, my hair has actually needed washing LESS. Bodies are so odd.
Coconut oil may also be good as it is anti inflammatory
Also some info on coconut oil on this thread http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ral-and-sinus-issues.18433/page-2#post-293553

GcMAF Australia

(provocative comment by me
I am also considering if topical application of Vitamin D on the scalp helps the hair)