• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to read 23andMe raw datas? Help

trollo

hello. Somebody could please help me to understand how to read 23andMe raw datas?? I don't mean Genetic Genie results.

as example this is my result for the snp A1298C:

MTHFR 11854476 rs1801131 G or T GG

Reference Links: dbSNP Orientation: Minus
Entrez Gene dbSNP Genotype: CC
dbSNP Lookup
Google Scholar (SNP)

what as example would it be that "dbSNP Genotype: CC" it would be this the risk allele??
Thanks

Sea

hello. Somebody could please help me to understand how to read 23andMe raw datas?? I don't mean Genetic Genie results.

as example this is my result for the snp A1298C:

MTHFR 11854476 rs1801131 G or T GG

MTHFR The name of the gene
11854476 The position on the chromosome
rs1801131 Reference sequence number of the snp
G or T The usual two alternatives for this snp
GG Your genotype

Reference Links: dbSNP Orientation: Minus
Entrez Gene dbSNP Genotype: CC
dbSNP Lookup
Google Scholar (SNP)

what as example would it be that "dbSNP Genotype: CC" it would be this the risk allele??
Thanks

Clicking on any of these links will take you to information about the snp or the gene.

Note how for this snp it says Orientation: minus.

Your DNA has 2 strands with complentary alleles on each side. So if you have an A on one side it will have a T on the other. If you have a G on one side it will have a C on the other. These strands are called forward or positive and reverse or minus. It has something to do with the direction in which they are read.

Anyway, 23andme use the forward strand for genotyping. Others sometimes use forward and sometimes reverse. So you are GG for this snp on the forward strand which means you will be CC on the reverse strand. You have to keep that in mind when looking at the research. The reference link is telling you that for this snp dbSNP are reporting for the reverse strand.

It is not telling you anything about risk, simply what your genotype is for that snp according to dbSNP.

For this snp A1298C means that at position 1298 (of the gene) instead of an A there is a C. This is reported on the reverse strand. Because 23andme look at the positive strand their two alternatives are G and T instead.

Last edited:

trollo

Oh... now i understand. So basically the 2 alleles that characterize a SNP like GG are not the 2 nucleotides joined in the two complementary strands of DNA but are a sequence of 2 nucleotides on the same strand... is it right? Now i understand why i saw in a website that the risk alleles for VDR bsm were A/A while in the Genetic genie they say T/T. It s basically the same. Thanks, Sea.. very helpful response.

But basically basing on the 23andMe raw datas i cannot deduce any info about the possibility that that SNP is an issue or not. Right?

trollo

Ok i correct myself. Now i understood it. It s not a sequence of 2 nucleotides on the same strand, but the nucleotide (or nucleotides couple) that is in that specific point in each of the two different DNA strands of the two cromosomes. So basically that should mean that for every single nucleotide of a gene there is one 'normal' nucleotide and one 'unusual' or 'abnormal' nucleotide that it shouldn't be there. And if you have the wrong version you are anyway in some way a 'mutant' even if there is not any known functional issue related to that 'abnormality'. Is it right?

Sea

You have 2 alleles at each nucleotide position because you get 1 from each parent.

Most researchers are uncomfortable calling snps mutations unless they are known to be damaging. They are more often referred to as variations.

Sporty

Hi all

I've just received my initial results from 23andMe. Are these relevant for what I need? It only seems to be ancestry results from what I can make out.......

trollo

Sporty please, open your own thread and ask for help there.

Sea: variations means anyway that there is a normality and a variation from it ... does polimorphism basically mean that is a variation from normality??