• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to lower viral load?

eric_gladiator

I have the reactive ebv and with a lot of viral charge. Is there a way to lower it that is effective? Something natural maybe?

Wonkmonk

Generally, the first line treatment would be Valacyclovir or Valgancyclovir. I have seen no evidence that natural treatments can be effective against EBV.

Could you elaborate what you mean by "reactive EBV"? Active infection with IgM antibodies and positive PCR test for viral DNA?

eric_gladiator

@Wonkmonk
I have abnormal IgG values. Can antibiotics be effective? I would like better to try some supplement if possible or something that can fight it without risks

Wonkmonk

No, antibiotics are not effective against EBV. Valacyclovir generally has a very low risk (if your kidney is healthy and you drink enough water), it can even be given to newborn babies in high doses.

Regarding supplements, I don't think there is anything that has proven effectiveness against EBV. Also note that not all supplements are completely free of risks.

eric_gladiator

@Wonkmonk
those are antiviral right? I wonder if with hompeopathy I could do something, and heard good opinions. Although my doctor refuses to prescribe anything, he does not believe in this and for the infection is already passed and not current

Wonkmonk

Yes, Valacyclovir is an antiviral.

I share your doctor's opinion and I am also sceptical of homeopathy. The proposed mechanism is scientifically unconvincing and studies generally show homeopathy is not more effective than placebo.

I think CFS or possible chronic EBV reactivation is too serious to make such experiments, especially when there is a tested and tried approach (e.g., Valacyclovir).

But of course, the decision is your own to make.

Wonkmonk

@eric_gladiator Of course, if you feel comfortable sharing your lab tests, I am happy to comment. However, I would rather not do it via email because my email address reveals my identity and I hope you understand I rather want to stay anonymous. Perhaps you can send it here in the forum via private message? Or if you wish post it openly, so other people can comment, too.

Please also be aware, I am not a health professional and all I can contribute is a personal opinion based on my readings and own experience.