• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to help probiotics survive stomach acid?

Aileen

I've read many times that probiotics have a very difficult time surviving stomach acid. They need to be alive when they arrive at the colon otherwise they won't work. Is there something we can do?

I need to take AlkaSeltzer Gold sometimes. It is sodium bicarb, potassium bicarb and citric acid. It is marketed as an antacid. I am wondering if I took that prior to my probiotics if that would lower the acid and give the bugs a better chance of passing through the stomach alive. I would think that just plain baking soda might accomplish the same thing.

Question is, how much time should I wait after I take the AlkaSeltzer Gold before taking my probiotics?

Then after taking the probiotics, how much time should I allow before eating? Eating will increase stomach acid, so I want my critters to be through the stomach before the acid increases. Anyone know how long this might take?

Also, anyone know what the transit time is for food to pass through the stomach?
Thanks.