Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How To Donate Shoes for the ME Action #Millions Missing Protest in DC

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by aaron_c, Apr 29, 2016.

1. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

ME Action is coordinating protests in Washington DC and other satellite locations on May 25. Many of us are not well enough and/or don't have enough money to come in person, but we are invited to send shoes as a way of symbolically joining the protest. (We are also invited to photograph our shoes--even if we cannot send them.)

[​IMG]

Yogi, Jennifer J, Mary and 8 others like this.
  2. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

I have placed an order through www.amazon.com, and a pair of lacy purple slip-ons will be attending the MillionsMissing campaign in my place. Can't wait!

Jennifer J, taniaaust1, Mary and 12 others like this.
  3. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    It just occurred to me that I have not participated in a public protest since early 2003, and not because the world got better.

Boy have I been ill for a long time.

Anyway I did the same @Old Bones , well brown hiking shoes with laces and not purple slip-ons, but it is the me who is missing that I am trying to represent.

And it was fun to buy shoes based only on appearance and price. My feet are kind of huge and the shoes that fit them never seem to be the ones on sale. So I spent about just over $20 on a scale model of the kind of shoes I might be wearing in a world without ME/CFS.

Jennifer J, Mary, Sushi and 6 others like this.
  4. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

@Richard7 Your brown hiking shoes would better represent the "me that is missing". But, I'm definitely not a woman who says "I wish I'd worn more purple"! And, I'm hoping this initiative gets so much attention, there's a chance I'll be able to pick out my colourful shoes in the press photographs.

It was a cheap and fun thing to do -- in my case $10 Canadian, leaving funds in my budget to send to the Open Medicine Foundation to thank Ron Davis for his work on our behalf, and to pay for the entertainment value of his excellent "underwear on the outside" photo.

Jennifer J, Mary, waiting and 4 others like this.
  5. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    Shoes you can see from a distance, I did not think of that.

But I did want to emphasise that fact that it is affordable. $20 is perhaps a bit much, maybe I could have sent my old hiking shoes to the states for less, but I cannot really walk down to the post office at the moment.

So I've held onto my shoes and some hope that I might get to use them again one day.

But $10 is better than $20.

Twice as good

Old Bones likes this.
  6. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I have none to spare, so I am sending an old pair of my son's. He wears size 15, and they are incandescent white sneakers with neon-orange stripes - I'm pretty sure they will be visible from a geostationary satellite.

7. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    Wow, thanks everybody! We are so incredibly excited about the shoes... I keep picturing Paige (who is receiving them) surrounded by towers and towers and towers of shoes... I hope it makes a huge impression on HHS! :D

-J

Jennifer J, Sasha, Mary and 5 others like this.
  8. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    Thanks so much for posting, @aaron_c, I just ordered a cheap pair of sneakers from Amazon which are on their way!

9. ahimsa

ahimsa Rarely on PR now

I sent an old pair of Nike sneakers for the Wash, DC protest. (No pics - I forgot!)

On Monday I'm going to send a box for the Seattle protest. The box will have two pair of my own shoes, flip flops and a pair of lace-up shoes (don't know what to call them), one pair from another Portlander with ME/CFS, and three pair from Goodwill ($5 each).

Here's a preview photo of my old flip flops, tagged and ready to go:

Flip Flops - small.jpg

Valentijn, JaimeS and Sushi like this.
  10. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Im wondering if those doing this protest have considered selling all the shoes after the protest for a ME/CFS fundraiser esp since some of these will be new shoes.

Mel9 and JaimeS like this.
  11. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    good idea.

maybe sell them all on ebay: new shoes with tags etc.

Depends on how much energy people have I guess.

Mel9 and JaimeS like this.
  12. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Today's Google Doodle:
    upload_2016-5-7_23-4-28.jpeg

ahimsa and Mel9 like this.
  13. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    Mel9 and Sushi like this.
  14. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    I heard noises about maybe using them for a future protest, but I think we may not be picturing the magnitude. We might end up having to pay quite a bit for storage to do that...

-J

Mel9 likes this.
  15. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I too have heard that they might be used in the future. (I had asked if the shoes would be donated to a shelter or a non-profit that distributes clothing.)

16. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    I think we do have to see what we end up with in terms of numbers. If it's an enormous amount of shoes, I think donating them might be a good idea; however, the people who want to use them for a future protest may have something very specific in mind. Let's see what the final count is. :)

-J

17. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

@JaimeS Amazon is asking me for a phone no. to deliver to the Address provided.

ETA - Ignore, i just put in 123123123 and it worked !

JaimeS likes this.
  18. Rooney

Rooney Senior Member

SE USA
    I can't access the google form on my computer. Rather not set up a google account. Ideas?
    Can I hand write my info enclosed with my shoes?
    (Never mind - went ahead and mailed them)

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  19. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    I'd hand-write something and enclose it, if others have the same idea... I think the form is really so we get a vague idea of how many are coming. ;)

-J

ahimsa likes this.
  20. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    If we send them today, how fast does the shipping need to be? Regular parcel post, 3 day?
    Thanks.

See more popular forum discussions.