• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to convince my doctor to look into LDN?

Ocean

I am very interested in trying LDN, especially since I have daily fevers and have read of some who were helped in this area by it.

My doctor wasn't familiar with it but quickly looked it up at my appointment and dismissed it. I think the reason is that I think my doctor looked up Naltrexone rather than LDN and ruled it out based on that and said a pain doctor should prescribe it. I'd like to broach the topic again and explain that LDN isn't used for the same purpose and Naltrexone but I'm not sure how to do it.

My doctor seems conservative about treatment, especially unfamiliar ones and likes to see research. Is there any document that is brief and to do the point that explains LDN's purpose and maybe cites some study results? Something very short and easy to glance at that I could show my doc in the appointment? Any other ideas on how to best address this?

I am open to seeing an LDN friendly doc in the future if this doesn't pan out but I prefer to try again with this doc since my insurance covers the visits but doesn't seem to with other docs who may regularly prescribe LDN. I think most likely I won't be successful. I've found most people don't change their minds from their initial reaction, but I figure it can't hurt to try once more since it would save me a lot of money to do it through my current doc than to make an appointment with an out of insurance doctor. Thanks for any ideas.

p.s I may not get to check this thread for a few days or so but am grateful for any replies and will definitely be checking and replying to any ideas, thank you!

drex13

What Sushi said. There are studies from Penn State University w/ Crohn's Disease, Stanford University for Fibromyalgia, a study done in Italy for MS, and others.

Ocean

Thanks Drex and Sushi. I had at that site before but even info I brought from there seemed too much for my doc. I'm looking for something really really brief but to the point. GG's brochure might be the perfect thing. It looks wonderful GG, thank you so much!

*GG*

Not a problem, glad I could help. Luckily I saw your post and came across this doc on another forum. I used to have it on my computer, before it crashed!

GG