• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to calm down a very overstimulated and tired body..

soxfan

So I have done it to myself once again. I over did yesterday and really paid for it last night. I wasn't able to have my afternoon rest which is usually 2 hours. I had dinner guests and ate later than normal. I am usually in bed before 9:30 always but last night it was 10:30. I took my sleep meds late...my body was in overdrive trying to calm down and it was horrible. I took a lunesta and then and ambien but was still awake at 2:30am.

Is there anything that will help with this problem? I have taken an ativan in the past but don't have anymore. It is the most uncomfortable and frustrating symptom. Now today I am hungover from no sleep and feel terrible. I know it is my own fault but still what can help with this?
I will listen to any and all ideas on this..thanks

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Soxfan, this is such a familiar situation for me and im sorry you atre having to suffer this after trying to have a nice time. My only suggestion would be if you can get hold of a couple to take something like a benzo and go to bed for at least 24- 48 hours. If this happens to me i take my phone and laptop, cup of tea and some snacks up to my room and ask my husband to take the children out for the day and do all the cooking. Then if i am feeling very overstimulated i will put on a relaxation cd and get some rest.

I had a bit of a meltdown yesterday after a busy childrens sports day on wednesday, now im back in bed but im supposed to go to a BBQ this afternoon and then wehave family visiting for a few days as well. What i hate is that i so quickly go from happy and coping to a crying blubbering wreck.

Sending you hugs and i hope you feel better soon. xx Justy

I find high strength magnesium really helps with this, taken in the morning and around dinner time. It helps relax and calm you down and the effects can be felt within half an hour.

Hope you find something that works for you!.

Hi Soxfan,

All of this is just an idea to get you from the wired state...

Try Rescue Remedy it takes the edge off if your not too wired.

Try meditation at nap time maybe listing to something soothing so you can get to sleep.

Melatonin is a hormone that regulates the wake/sleep cycle and other daily biorhythms. Try sublingual tablets (to be placed under the tongue and allowed to dissolve); take 2.5 mg at bedtime as an occasional dose, making sure that your bedroom is completely dark. A much lower dose, 0.25 to 0.3 mg, may be more effective for regular use.

Hope Love Light

soxfan

I just bought some magnesium citrate 233mg which I will take tonight. I also take melantonin at night but when I am in the wired and stimulated state then it doesn't do a thing.
I just know when I don't keep to my schedule I am in for big trouble. It is just such a horrible feeling and there isn't much I can do when it happens. My whole night is disrupted as is the next day because I can't fall asleep. I was in tears last night because I knew nothing was going to help but then crying always makes it worse but I can't help it..

It happens to me sometimes after I work but I always have time to rest when I get home. It is amazing what happens to your body when it gets thrown into turmoil and off schedule.
Thanks everyone...today will be a suffering day for me but hopefully by tomorrow morning I will feel better.

soxfan

I have magnesium so I will try that tonight. I don't know what Seriphos is...hopefully my doctor can help me out. I have to say that I was not only overstimulated but probably more like overstressed with trying to do too much..

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
lyrica/pregabalin could be of help for calming the system down as well as help with pain and sleep, especially if your doc is reluctant with benzo's.

cheers!!!

justy

Hi Soxfan, just wondering how you are doing today. Any sleep last night? I hope you are feeling a bit more rested and beginning to recover. xx Justy

acouchy

Unwilling ME/CFS Participant Since 1996
Warm bath and have a nice hot cup of decaf tea to relax. Then I put on my eyemask and earplugs and block everything out.

soxfan

Hi justy- I was able to get to bed at my regular time but since it is 4th of July weekend here there were people all around my street lighting off fireworks. This lasted until about 11:00 when I was able to fall asleep. I still wake up incredibly tired every morning...I don't know what has happened to my sleep. It has never been great but the past few months it is extremely unrestful..thanks for thinking of me!

justy

Ah yes i forgot it was 4th of July. You sound a bit more upbeat, i hope it lasts and that your sleep starts to improve. I am waking up much less tired these days unless i overdo it and then i wake up with very blurry vision and unable to open my eyes, then i know it has to be a day to just rest if i want to get my function back quickly. I have my sister here from Australia at the moment and ive had to go and hide in my room for a bit as all the chatting was making me very over stimulated and i started to get a bit shaky.
Take care, Justy.

soxfan

I know that feeling well...holidays with my family do the exact same thing to me. Fireworks were going again last night but I was able to fall asleep during them. I am sure they will be popping tonight as well.
I have a appt. with my doctor tomorrow and I am hoping he will give me some ideas on how to deal with this. He is also holistic so I am sure there is something he can prescribe to help.
I also have an appt. with a sleep doctor in a few weeks. Not sure what he can do for me in the regards to the very unrefreshing sleep but I have to try. Enjoy the visit with your sister..in fact next week is my sister's 50th and there is going to be a big old fashioned cookout. I am sure that will put me in bed for a day afterwards because as I mentioned we are a very "loud' family!
Take care, Kim

justy

Hi Kim, well i hope you had some joy today with your doctor. Is the problem still ongoing or is it getting better? For me the overstimulation is always a sign that i am doing way too much and would need to bring it down a notch for quite a long time, im enjoying my visitors but also look forward to them all leaving -then i only have a few more days of peace before the summer holidays begin!
Take care, Justy.x

taniaaust1

For myself if I allow myself to get overstimulated... nothing works to bring that adrenaline and over active nervous system down well.. thou possibly Rivotril helped a wee bit when I was like that all the time.

Best just to avoid overstimulation if you can unless its going to be worth that payback