• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How the ME zealots tried to terrorise me Dr Max Pemberton

Thats an offensive, disengenuous and deceptive article by Pemberton in the Mail. And unless the Comments are opened, no right of reply. Can someone tweet it to David Tuller - as evidence of what the UK media (and UK doctors) get away with writing about ME and the patients.

CantThink

Bugger! My comments were sooooo good. :(

They didn't make Max Pemberton look that great, though.

I'm not so sure they are off. I can only see 3, but I can also still make a comment. Usually when they are turned off it says something along the: comments are no longer being taken for this article, lines.

Because it is the weekend maybe they are stuck in a moderating queue - perhaps less moderators or only working certain shifts.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm not so sure they are off. I can only see 3, but I can also still make a comment. Usually when they are turned off it says something along the: comments are no longer being taken for this article, lines.

Because it is the weekend maybe they are stuck in a moderating queue - perhaps less moderators or only working certain shifts.

Could be - and I bet they've got hundreds of comments to work through by now. People will see those three comments and think, "Great" I'll be number four and get loads of attention!"

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Thats an offensive, disengenuous and deceptive article by Pemberton in the Mail. And unless the Comments are opened, no right of reply. Can someone tweet it to David Tuller - as evidence of what the UK media (and UK doctors) get away with writing about ME and the patients.
I haven't figured out yet how to do the twitter-thingy, but I can read, and I think this story should also be tweeted to James Coyne.
Thanks to you all you magnificent posters who keep those of us who have difficulty stringing more than two sentences together inspired!

CantThink

Could be - and I bet they've got hundreds of comments to work through by now. People will see those three comments and think, "Great" I'll be number four and get loads of attention!"

Also lest we forget... think of all those aggressive M.E. patients with loads of energy who are harrassing them with their multitude of comments. Haha:p they are probably deluged (hopefully!)

Large Donner

You wouldn’t threaten to letter-bomb the GP, would you? You’d say thank you very much; what a relief I’m going to see the right doctor.

Is he playing on words here using the word bomb. Is he trying to place it in the minds of the readers that GPs receive explosive packages in the mail?

I am pretty sure no one takes up the ME issue with their GP in the context of the "campaigns" they are talking about anyway. Its done via comment sections in newspaper articles and by contacting researchers and posing genuine questions that they just refuse to address because they are charlatans.

Pemberton is just a jumped up plonker. Absolutely clueless.

Large Donner

On the same page Pemberton is slagging of "foreign doctors" working in the NHS hyping up issues like "they cant speak English" and he's also warning us all of the dangers of Halloween with gems like these,

"up and down the country, gangs of yobs will see tonight as an excuse to extort money from the elderly and vulnerable..................."

"At its worst, it’s just socially sanctioned doorstep mugging. But no one will stand up and say so for fear of being branded a killjoy."

No doubt the very vulnerable and elderly people he relies on to buy the Daily Mail to inform them who and what to be scared of.

He sees terror, terrorists and the "takeover mentality" everywhere, he must be gunning for a job on FOX news.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
On the same page Pemberton is slagging of "foreign doctors" working in the NHS hyping up issues like "they cant speak English" and he's also warning us all of the dangers of Halloween with gems like these,

No doubt the very vulnerable and elderly people he relies on to buy the Daily Mail to inform them who and what to be scared of.

He sees terror, terrorists and the "takeover mentality" everywhere, he must be gunning for a job on FOX news.

The irony of his first article being about the harm caused by doctors who don't speak the same language as their patients being followed by a rant against ME patients doesn't seem to have occured to him, so here's the headline and a few sentences from his first article, with absolutely minimal editing:

DR MAX: Frightening farce of BPS authors who can barely speak Science

…I felt desperately sorry for them, because they were working well outside their capabilities — and they knew it.
But I felt even sorrier for their patients. Imagine how they felt, faced with a doctor who could barely conduct a conversation about the weather, let alone a complicated medical issue.

Of all the things we want from a doctor, the most basic is that they can understand us and we can understand them. But too often now that isn’t the case.

Trust me, this is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg. Talk to almost any patient and they’ll have similar horror stories. Could there be anything more grotesque?

Communication is the bread and butter of my job. Imagine if this was the aviation industry and there were pilots who couldn’t land a plane.

The irony is that medical research scientists spend long hours being taught research skills. Yet doctors from BPS are able to get jobs in ME research when they can barely speak the lingo, let alone know when they should be nodding sympathetically to a patient.

What worries me most is that this problem disproportionately affects patients who have an unexplained physical illness like ME. This means that those most in need receive some of the worst care. This can be devastating.

I’m glad the medical authorities are now getting tougher, but the system is still wide open to abuse. Scientific medical research tests are not compulsory if you’re from the BPS.

The only rational solution is that every single BPS author with a qualification from outside the areas of scientific medical research must take a science test in order to work on ME. Do we think patients deserve any less?

All he has to do is to apply the sentiments of his first article to the subject matter of the second, but instead he chooses to reserve his outrage for people who can't speak English, and stick the boot into ME patients.

You can imagine the scene in the editor's office last night:

Editor: "Max, I'd like you to write two articles for tomorrow's paper that will leave no-one in any doubt about what a complete **** you are."

Max: "Two? I'll give you three. I'll even throw in one calling kids "gangs of yobs" and calling for a ban on Halloween. There'll be someone to stigmatise and fear in each article, I'll guarantee it. Kids, ME patients, foreigners, all the same to me, as long as they're an easy target."

SOC

The irony of his first article being about the harm caused by doctors who don't speak the same language as their patients being followed by a rant against ME patients doesn't seem to have occured to him, so here's the headline and a few sentences from his first article, with absolutely minimal editing:
Brilliant and hilarious! :thumbsup:

The man makes it pretty clear what kind of person he is with these three articles. It's hard to feel too bad about being dissed by a guy with so much irrational hatred for so many different groups. I might even be a little worried if he considered us part of his In crowd instead of one of the bad guys. :p

Large Donner

DR MAX: Frightening farce of BPS authors who can barely speak Science

…I felt desperately sorry for them, because they were working well outside their capabilities — and they knew it.
But I felt even sorrier for their patients. Imagine how they felt, faced with a doctor who could barely conduct a conversation about the weather, let alone a complicated medical issue.

Of all the things we want from a doctor, the most basic is that they can understand us and we can understand them. But too often now that isn’t the case.

Trust me, this is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg. Talk to almost any patient and they’ll have similar horror stories. Could there be anything more grotesque?

Communication is the bread and butter of my job. Imagine if this was the aviation industry and there were pilots who couldn’t land a plane.

The irony is that medical research scientists spend long hours being taught research skills. Yet doctors from BPS are able to get jobs in ME research when they can barely speak the lingo, let alone know when they should be nodding sympathetically to a patient.

What worries me most is that this problem disproportionately affects patients who have an unexplained physical illness like ME. This means that those most in need receive some of the worst care. This can be devastating.

I’m glad the medical authorities are now getting tougher, but the system is still wide open to abuse. Scientific medical research tests are not compulsory if you’re from the BPS.

The only rational solution is that every single BPS author with a qualification from outside the areas of scientific medical research must take a science test in order to work on ME. Do we think patients deserve any less?

All he has to do is to apply the sentiments of his first article to the subject matter of the second, but instead he chooses to reserve his outrage for people who can't speak English, and stick the boot into ME patients.

You can imagine the scene in the editor's office last night:

Editor: "Max, I'd like you to write two articles for tomorrow's paper that will leave no-one in any doubt about what a complete **** you are."

Max: "Two? I'll give you three. I'll even throw in one calling kids "gangs of yobs" and calling for a ban on Halloween. There'll be someone to stigmatise and fear in each article, I'll guarantee it. Kids, ME patients, foreigners, all the same to me, as long as they're an easy target."

That is brilliant, please please go and post that on the Daily Mail comment section under the said articles.

skipskip30

OMG, terrifying gangs of small children asking nicely for sweets at the door while their mum watches from a few feet away!? Anything but that!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
OMG, terrifying gangs of small children asking nicely for sweets at the door while their mum watches from a few feet away!? Anything but that!
Babysitter.jpg