• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Stress Influences Disease: Study Reveals Inflammation as the Culprit

Firestormm

Thanks Marco. I am still of the opinion - relating to my own case history - that chronic illness and that repeated relapses caused by further viral infections from which I could not 'bounce back' together with functional relapses and remissions (not all of the same degree); are 'the' reason for any continued 'stress'.

But I am of course well aware that some might say/have said 'You would say that wouldn't you?' Particularly perhaps as I was in their definition a 'yuppie'.

I just happen to think that there is something fundamentally different about the stress caused by a 'fluctuating condition' and that caused by one that progressively deteriorates - and that it relates to acceptance or the ability to accept.

Get those mice infected with a virus, stress them out, let them recover to a level below that which they were able to function at before; infect them again, recover to even less of a level; infect again... randomise the time between each infection and the extent of each 'relapse' and 'recovery' - keep that up for 13 years - and THEN let's see what's what ;)

I love these research studies. They leave more questions than answers and rarely relate to my world!

perrier

Here are my two cents: just being ill for a decade, cut off from the normal stimuli of life, having to always repress your impulses because you are 'sick,' not being able to work at your career, being housebound, not having any income; unable to bear children--watching your chums go on with life, get married, have families, grow in their careers--while you are there waiting, waiting, for whatever protocol you are on to help, is material for lots of stress. Plus the nature of the illness, a few days feel better, then a crash, then a few days later a bit better, then sick again, then better, then a huge crash, --this is like living with an abusive person: you do not know what is coming next.

I got sick suddenly, as they say. And all of the regular rhythms of life were instantly removed, like someone living in a war zone.

The problem is also you do not know how long your situation will go on: will you improve? will you not? is this it? or will you be able to join regular society? These issues cause chronic stress and a kind of spiritual torture.

But my worst stress comes from the medical community: the world got together for AIDS, but aside from conferences here and there about ME/CFS the doctors are NOT all together working to help each and everyone with this horrific condition. And we are all young people on the whole. The doctors are each in his separate corner, and we run from one to another seeking help.