• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How should I get blood tested?

Hi,
Recently my family doctor has ordered me to get a new full blood test (fasting for 12 hours) to rule out anything that might be causing the severe fatigue/faintness I have been feeling. I want to get it done but lately my condition has gotten worse and I am not sure if I am physically well enough to do it. I am afraid I might faint getting my blood drawn. Should I risk getting it done at the health clinic or should I go to the hospital to get it done? Do health clinics offer blood testing at home?

Any help would be appreciated.

Undisclosed

Hi cfspatient.

You could try calling your local Community Care Access Centre to find about getting bloodwork done in the home (they look after care in the home). They would be able to give you information about this.

Kina.

silicon

Perhaps there are other tests, which do not require fasting, which can also shed light on your condition, or rule out other illnesses. I find it very disconcerting that a doctor would put the health of a patient at risk in such a mannerrequiring a patient to fast when that patient is very weak. Whats so special about this particular test? Perhaps you could find out the name of this fasting test, and do some research online and come up with an equivalent or nearly equivalent test that requires no fasting. The doctor is there to serve you, not to put you at greater risk. Why are doctors so cavalier about the condition of ME/CFS patients? Many ME/CFS patients find that relying too much on doctors wisdom can be very hazardous to ones health! Dr. Jamie Deckoff-Jones has observed (in her blog) that the patients who have done the best over the years are ironically the patients who have worked with conventional doctors the leastquite the sad commentary.

Undisclosed

From what I know, they assess your ability to carry out daily living activities. I don't think they require a formal statement of any actual disability. Anybody can refer you to the CCAC but it's best if a doctor does for medical related home care. The best thing to do is call them and ask for information.

Kina.