• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how severe is your ME-CFS?

how severe is your ME -CFS?

• I forget I have it most of the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have some drawbacks from it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaveMe

Who knows? Very little is known about this illness.

She and I came down with same very sudden-onset flu-like illness 6-7 years ago. Maybe it's strictly viral. But then, I had some mild symptoms before that which may have been early ME/CFS.... or something else entirely.

My husband doesn't have ME/CFS despite close contact with us all these years. Why not if it is contagious at all?

My uncle has ME/CFS. He was not around us when we had the flu-like illness, but was already sick then.

Maybe a viral (or retroviral) infection PLUS a genetic factor are necessary for ME/CFS. Maybe it's been passed down vertically in my family somehow.

Other people have completely different experiences and paths to ME/CFS.

We simply don't have sufficient information, yet, to draw any conclusions. We have some interesting theories, but they don't currently answer all the questions about transmission, course of illness, or many other factors.

Bottom line: There is a lot we simply don't know, yet, and as patients we will still have to cope with that ambiguity for some years.

Maybe a viral (or retroviral) infection PLUS a genetic factor are necessary for ME/CFS.
I believe this theory will turn out to be correct through experimentation!

Though I do wonder about "clusters"

taniaaust1

I gotta question (And im not trying to be rude)
But how do you go to the grocery store and eat if you are housebound or bedbound?

You might say, someone helps you. But I live alone ~4000 miles away from my family.:(

If one is truely bedbound or housebound, they just cant or they are severely restricting things eg may only shop once per month as it just arent usually possible for them to do.

When i was bedbound... I had to get another to do my shopping and leave it at my front door (as i was too sick for any friends to be visiting), then my child who was only 10 years old and having to be my carer, she would then put all the groceries away. Bedbound=truely stuck in bed

One can only do whatever one can do.... in a bedbound state, I believe I would of died if I didnt have a child living with me to do those things I couldnt at all do.

Those first two answers on the poll.. I would wonder if the person has CFS/ME if they are that little affected (unless they are heading towards remission). Those first two answers just sound like someone with a bit of fatigue.. where as CFS/ME is a quite disabliting illness.

Hip

Could I just ask a question here, on how to create a poll when I post a new thread?

On selecting "Post New Thread", I get to the normal page that allows you to type in and post a new thread, and at the bottom of this page, I can see the area of the page where the poll is activated, which says:

Post a Poll
Create a poll with this number of options (Maximum 10):

This area of the page has a tick box, plus a tiny text box to enter the number of poll options you want. However, I cannot see where you can type in the text description for each of the poll options.

If anyone anyone is familiar with setting up a poll, could could kindly explain how it is done. Many thanks