• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much CoQ10 do you take?

FWIW, my PEM got worse after getting on thyroid meds (only 50 mcg), which was a reluctant but worthy tradeoff for lower brain fog.

Nord Wolf

The Northman
I find that you do not have to take Q10 daily to get this PEM-busting effect: you just need to take Q10 an hour before the exerting activity that you are about to partake in, and this I find prevents a lot of the PEM that you would normally experience when the activity is over. I use a dose of 400 mg of Q10 for this anti-PEM purpose.
I get ME/CFS PEM mainly from mental exertion (rarely from physical exertion), and for me, 3 or 4 hours of socializing with friends causes a lot of PEM the following day or two. However, if I take 400 mg of Q10 just before I begin this 3 or 4 hours of social activity, my PEM is noticeably reduced.
I wish this had a positive affect on my PEM. I take 1200 mg of Q10 as Ubiquninol twice per day, but have never noticed any decrease in PEM symptoms. I do take into regard that my PEM levels are extreme and I also have Rolling PEM, and so never recover from an episode. PEM for me is triggered easily from the slightest physical exertion (one could hardly call my current physical limits "exhausting", but for my system now, they are), and mental exertion, but the Q10 unfortunately makes no noticeable difference.

Hip

I wish this had a positive affect on my PEM. I take 1200 mg of Q10 as Ubiquninol twice per day, but have never noticed any decrease in PEM symptoms. I do take into regard that my PEM levels are extreme and I also have Rolling PEM, and so never recover from an episode. PEM for me is triggered easily from the slightest physical exertion (one could hardly call my current physical limits "exhausting", but for my system now, they are), and mental exertion, but the Q10 unfortunately makes no noticeable difference.

There are a several other "PEM busters" that you might like to consider on the PEM busters thread.

One that can have dramatic effects is pyridostigmine, which helps some ME/CFS patients avoid PEM entirely.