• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much copper do you take.

place

Be Strong!
Hey my people.

I have had my ic / inflammation come and go over the past 3 weeks. In the past copper has worked. How much do ya'll take?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hey my people.

I have had my ic / inflammation come and go over the past 3 weeks. In the past copper has worked. How much do ya'll take?

I was told not to take copper as it could pose a problem. This may well have been a recommendation based on my lab tests though.

Sushi

Sparrow

Not enough, apparently. Am still in the process of trying to work that out. :rolleyes: Sigh. Thankfully my levels aren't yet too far below the normal range.

Too much copper is a very bad thing. But it also has to compete with zinc for absorption, and vitamin C is apparently also antagonistic to it in high doses. And low copper is also quite bad.

I'm not sure how common it is to have problems, though. It's supposed to be a very rare thing. As an interesting side note that probably doesn't mean anything, though, apparently issues with the methylation cycle are also one of the hypothesized causes of some copper deficiencies. For me it may also have something to do with not processing zinc properly. I already know that something's wrong there for me, since I get vertigo from even very reasonable amounts.

Lotus97

I've been considering a copper toxicity for myself (although I've never been tested) so I'm not taking any, but I get at least 1 mg copper from my diet. I suppose I should get this issue resolved, but I don't think my doctor will have me tested and I'm not sure I want to pay for tests now anyways.

dbkita

I get 2-3 mg per day in my diet. So I take none. My hair analysis shows I am lowish copper but my zinc copper ratio is good and my serum levels of ceruloplasminin and copper improved simply by taking molybdenum. My biggest personal concern with copper is not for copper toxicity, but that copper inhibits GABA production which is a huge concern for me with my autoimmune disease. It also stimulate MAO which kills neurotransmitters I am already low in. Of course if does many important things on the other hand. Will have to wait and see.

place

Be Strong!
Humm. Well my ic is still present. I am going to try the molybdenum. It is inflamation, as Advil take care of it. I have been upping my does of mb12 from 6 to 8-10 ish. I don't know if this is correlated or not.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Lotus97

Hey my people.

I've heard of people taking elavil/amitriptyline for IC. It can cause weight gain in some people though.