• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many years of Hot Flashes?

Cheesus

AH! Thanks @Cheesus- after reading this thread last night I decided to buy some essential oils, incl Clary Sage, and I also bought Sage teabags ( I can only imagine how bad they taste!) Will report back on the results. I used oils in my 20's and somehow lost interest, but actually lavender has been such a huge help, it is worth a try with the sage etc...

If that doesn't work get an actual rosmarinic acid supplement, as the concentration will be both standardised and higher.

hellytheelephant

Update: Am still trying the tea ( and have realised it is much cheaper to buy as the loose herb than as teabags). I slept better for the first 4 nights, but has done nothing for the daytime sweats :-( I also invested in some ' hormone balancing' essential oils and have been infusing Geranium and Bergamot, which is the most beautiful and relaxing smell.
Surprisingly I also love the taste and smell of the Sage- the tea is far more pleasant than chamomile.

Will review again at the end of the month.

hellytheelephant

I"m going on the third year. I have major night sweats that keep me up all night and have to change my tee shirt at least 3 times. I wake up exhausted and irritated. It's not so much the flashes and sweats, but the lack of sleep that is taking a toll.

Have you looked into Sage? I'm trying this at the moment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21630133

I can't wait unit it ends!
Hi In what form are you taking the sage? Any results?

Mij

@hellytheelephant I am making tea with fresh sage for now and will buy the capsules when I get a chance. The capsules are inexpensive and this way I can take a higher dosage because right now I'm still experiencing a lot of night sweats. I enjoy the tea though, it seems to have a cooling effect.

caledonia

I haven't had hot flashes or night sweats, but I have had temperature fluctuations where I felt hotter than normal. They lasted about 4 months.

I had asked my mom about how menopause went for her before she passed and she said she didn't have any major issues.

However, I have also been taking a megadose of pharmaceutical grade fish oil for many years. Before menopause, it was very helpful for PMS. So maybe that has had something to do with the ease of menopause for me as well.

hellytheelephant

I haven't had hot flashes or night sweats, but I have had temperature fluctuations where I felt hotter than normal. They lasted about 4 months.

I had asked my mom about how menopause went for her before she passed and she said she didn't have any major issues.

However, I have also been taking a megadose of pharmaceutical grade fish oil for many years. Before menopause, it was very helpful for PMS. So maybe that has had something to do with the ease of menopause for me as well.
@caledonia - they do say that how your mum was affected is a good clue to how you will be affected.
Not good in my case- she was beyond difficult to live with!

lilpink

My worst sweats were in my perimenopausal years from 1996 to about 2008 ish. I'm now almost 6 yrs post menopause and they still linger but are frankly the easiest thing I have to tolerate in my life. I think hot flushes are a very individual thing. The notion that we get through meno in months is laughable however. A UK (now retired) doctor, Miriam Stoppard, wrote a very good book on menopause which I think, whilst now a bit dated, is likely the most accurate overview. Obviously how meno and this disease interact is a whole other thing and for me it has been frightening... but the meno symptoms per se are eminently doable.

Dechi

Mine have lasted about 12-18 months, maybe a little more. But they came in patches. At some point I noticed they came back when I ate refined sugars, so I stopped eating them and it helped a lot. Now I can have some once in a while with no problems.

I have difficulty controlling my body temperature, especially when crashing, but that's a different story.

Mij

@hellytheelephant my mother did not suffer with menopausal symptoms. From what I've read and from talking to others is that whether our mothers suffered makes no difference in our experiences.

My aunt had hot sweats up into her 70's.

caledonia

@caledonia - they do say that how your mum was affected is a good clue to how you will be affected.
Not good in my case- she was beyond difficult to live with!

Hmmm, I think my sister had a bit worse of a time, but it hasn't been overly lengthy.

I would guess the same factors as with everything else are at play - part genetics, part epigenetics.
Epigenetics are the part you can control.

hellytheelephant

Update: I gave up on the sage tea after about 10 days. It is quite a nice tea to drink but it was a hassle to drink 3 times daily, when it wasn't working.

I have started burning a combination of geranium and bergamot oil in my electric burner. It is a beautiful smell. Both oils are balancing oils and for me I feel they are helping. I have also noticed though, that when my ME is at its worst then the sweats are worse.....and there is not that much to be done about that.

Anyone finding sage capsules good?