• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Long Should we Methylate For?

Uno

Hi folks

I haven't posted in a while - but it's been a long time since I started methylation and I wondered how long exactly are we supposed to stay on it for and if we do stay on it indefinitely, is it dangerous or harmful in any way?

I can't live without my B12 - when I don't take it I feel awful. I haven't taken any MTHFR tests to determine which mutation I actually have but I plan on doing so when I get some money.

shah78

Myhill clams she sees people able to discontinue methylation once it gets started. I can't imagine doing so if you have the genetic defects, so many of us have. If you just have a b12 deficiancy and get the" tank" filled up, then maybe this is what she is talking about. Like you, my life without my b12/folate how be a calamity.

PeterPositive

Good question, have been taking supplements for almost 2 years an my homocysteine is still elevated ... recently did the genetic test and found out the mthfr c677t mutation, so now I am taking extra b12 and mehtylfolate. In my blood tests they are both elevated but my methylation is still running slow...

I guess most people here would have elevate serum folate and B12 given the dosages I have seen posted. I am nowhere near the 5-10mg (and higher) that some of the people here take on a daily basis. I can handle 2mg max, for now.

I would agree with shah78, if there are genetic defects those bottles of supplements are for life :)

Last edited:

Critterina

Good question, have been taking supplements for almost 2 years an my homocysteine is still elevated ... recently did the genetic test and found out the mthfr c677t mutation, so now I am taking extra b12 and mehtylfolate. In my blood tests they are both elevated but my methylation is still running slow...

I guess most people here would have elevate serum folate and B12 given the doses I see posted. I am nowhere near the 5-10mg (and higher) that some of the people here take on a daily basis. I can handle 2mg max, for now.

I would agree with shah78, if there are genetic defects those bottles of supplements are for life :)
Peter,

Congratulations on becoming a senior member!
I was just thinking about your homocysteine being high even after 2 years of methylation. Did you also have the BHMT 08 SNP? TMG may help if you do.

Soundthealarm21

Hi folks

I haven't posted in a while - but it's been a long time since I started methylation and I wondered how long exactly are we supposed to stay on it for and if we do stay on it indefinitely, is it dangerous or harmful in any way?

I can't live without my B12 - when I don't take it I feel awful. I haven't taken any MTHFR tests to determine which mutation I actually have but I plan on doing so when I get some money.

These are vitamins that are necessary for proper body functioning. You can take these for the rest of your life. It's especially important to take them if you have genetic defects or don't get enough of them in your diet.

PeterPositive

Peter,Congratulations on becoming a senior member!
Oh, I didn't notice that. So do I win anything? A bit of health would be cool :)

I was just thinking about your homocysteine being high even after 2 years of methylation. Did you also have the BHMT 08 SNP? TMG may help if you do.
I am heterozygous for BHMT 04, while the others are fine. I have tried TMG but it is too tough on my digestion.
One of the possible problems is that I have used supplements with folic acid for most of the time and recently I discovered that I am MTHFR C677T +/+, so have switched to methylfolate.

thanks

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
Perhaps you will be able to reduce to a lower maintenance dose when your symptoms are under control, but I think you will always have to support your methylation with supplements.

Soundthealarm21

Oh, I didn't notice that. So do I win anything? A bit of health would be cool :)

I am heterozygous for BHMT 04, while the others are fine. I have tried TMG but it is too tough on my digestion.
One of the possible problems is that I have used supplements with folic acid for most of the time and recently I discovered that I am MTHFR C677T +/+, so have switched to methylfolate.

thanks

Lol I just realized I've become a senior member since the last time I logged on. How do you become one?

Yes I'd like some health with my new status symbol ;)