• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long does it take for mFolate levels in the body to decrease?

bigmillz

I've been thinking about trying a lower mFolate dose eventually (currently at 6mg daily, split into 3 doses), to see how I do. It's slightly expensive, and moderately annoying to take if I'm not at home or the office.

When I lowered my mB12 dose, I noticed some reduction in irritability within 2 days, and a decline in energy level within a week. With mFolate, how long might it take to drop?

PeterPositive

Because folate is not stored in the body in large amounts, your blood levels will get low after only a few weeks of eating a diet low in folate. Folate is found in green leafy vegetables and liver.
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000354.htm

This is of course if you stop folate intake, but should equally apply if your reduce it, presumably. Take it with a grain of salt. Or two... :)

Problem is, imho, there's so many other variables at play that is pretty difficult to isolate the effects of a single nutrient, especially when you're just adjusting the dosage.

cheers

bigmillz

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000354.htm

This is of course if you stop folate intake, but should equally apply if your reduce it, presumably. Take it with a grain of salt. Or two... :)

Problem is, imho, there's so many other variables at play that is pretty difficult to isolate the effects of a single nutrient, especially when you're just adjusting the dosage.

cheers

Always coming in with a great answer @PeterPositive :)

You're right though, after a few weeks, there are so many other things that could come into play. It's about to get colder out, for one, and I'll be sitting inside a lot more. That alone could create some changes easily mistaken for too little folate.

This has me thinking...in the past when I started mFolate and I was too low, I started getting skin peeling under my fingernails. I'll drop the dose for a couple of weeks, and see if that returns.

bigmillz

I hate bumping my own thread, but giving this a shot this week, wondering if anyone else has experience in fine tuning their methylfolate levels, and how long it took for them to notice changes to it? I don't want to be misled by other things...i.e. if it takes 2 weeks to adjust, and I have a stretch of insomnia, mixing it all up.

bigmillz

Update to help anyone who ever stumbles on this thread looking for the same thing.

I started on Sunday (Saturday on accident, forgot to bring my mFolate with me during the day, only took 4mg total), lowering my usual 3x2mg doses to just a single 2mg dose in the morning.

Monday night I started noticing a little fingertip drying/cracking, which happened to me way back when I wasn't taking enough mFolate when I started months ago.

I've got a bit of brain fog creeping up, and definitely some forgetfulness. Allergies and asthma have been worse since yesterday (last year around September/now, I had horrible allergies w/o mFolate, this year it's been great until now).

This may all be related but I'm giving it another day or 2 before I increase the dose again. So total of <4 days for things to start getting a little weird. I'll update again when I increase dose back to where it was.