Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How long does it take for mFolate levels in the body to decrease?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by bigmillz, Sep 27, 2016.

1. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    I've been thinking about trying a lower mFolate dose eventually (currently at 6mg daily, split into 3 doses), to see how I do. It's slightly expensive, and moderately annoying to take if I'm not at home or the office.

When I lowered my mB12 dose, I noticed some reduction in irritability within 2 days, and a decline in energy level within a week. With mFolate, how long might it take to drop?

2. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000354.htm

This is of course if you stop folate intake, but should equally apply if your reduce it, presumably. Take it with a grain of salt. Or two... :)

Problem is, imho, there's so many other variables at play that is pretty difficult to isolate the effects of a single nutrient, especially when you're just adjusting the dosage.

cheers

bigmillz likes this.
  3. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    Always coming in with a great answer @PeterPositive :)

You're right though, after a few weeks, there are so many other things that could come into play. It's about to get colder out, for one, and I'll be sitting inside a lot more. That alone could create some changes easily mistaken for too little folate.

This has me thinking...in the past when I started mFolate and I was too low, I started getting skin peeling under my fingernails. I'll drop the dose for a couple of weeks, and see if that returns.

PeterPositive likes this.
  4. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    I hate bumping my own thread, but giving this a shot this week, wondering if anyone else has experience in fine tuning their methylfolate levels, and how long it took for them to notice changes to it? I don't want to be misled by other things...i.e. if it takes 2 weeks to adjust, and I have a stretch of insomnia, mixing it all up.

5. bigmillz

bigmillz Senior Member

NYC
    Update to help anyone who ever stumbles on this thread looking for the same thing.

I started on Sunday (Saturday on accident, forgot to bring my mFolate with me during the day, only took 4mg total), lowering my usual 3x2mg doses to just a single 2mg dose in the morning.

Monday night I started noticing a little fingertip drying/cracking, which happened to me way back when I wasn't taking enough mFolate when I started months ago.

I've got a bit of brain fog creeping up, and definitely some forgetfulness. Allergies and asthma have been worse since yesterday (last year around September/now, I had horrible allergies w/o mFolate, this year it's been great until now).

This may all be related but I'm giving it another day or 2 before I increase the dose again. So total of <4 days for things to start getting a little weird. I'll update again when I increase dose back to where it was.

zelda likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.