• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How knocked out should I be by starting methyl-B12?

Calathea

It's up and down a bit, but generally I'm still feeling like a dead cat, so I'm reducing the B12 to a quarter of a 1mg tablet instead of a half.

snowathlete

Consider that one of the things that mb12 does is stimulate the output melatonin. When that happens determines when the the sleepiness hits.

Melatonin, thats interesting. I started taking Melatonin a few years ago and it did help with getting me to sleep. It sends me to sleep and the Amitryptaline keeps me asleep.
I still take about 0.5mg a night. I suppose that my not producign enough could be related to all this stuff...

Is this going to cause any issues when i start the protocol Fred?

Freddd

Melatonin, thats interesting. I started taking Melatonin a few years ago and it did help with getting me to sleep. It sends me to sleep and the Amitryptaline keeps me asleep.
I still take about 0.5mg a night. I suppose that my not producign enough could be related to all this stuff...

Is this going to cause any issues when i start the protocol Fred?

Hi Snowathlete,

Mb12 helps generate melatonin and normalize sleep after the intial period. I have nver noticed any interaction or problem it.

Calathea

Still feeling like a deceased feline, but my poor partner has a nasty cold or possibly the flu (temp of 101 F last night, though not quite as ill today) and neither of us have slept well in a few nights as a result. And they're digging up the car park near my bedroom window, which results in a lovely level of noise for about eight hours during the day and which I profoundly hope will be finished soon. Anyway, here's hoping that it's not the flu, and that he gets better soon, and that I don't catch whatever it is!

Is eyelid twitching a known reaction to this protocol, by the way? It's been going on a couple of weeks now and is rather getting on my nerves. It might just be a random crash thing, but I don't recall having it every day for this long before.

L'engle

moogle
Still feeling like a deceased feline, but my poor partner has a nasty cold or possibly the flu (temp of 101 F last night, though not quite as ill today) and neither of us have slept well in a few nights as a result. And they're digging up the car park near my bedroom window, which results in a lovely level of noise for about eight hours during the day and which I profoundly hope will be finished soon. Anyway, here's hoping that it's not the flu, and that he gets better soon, and that I don't catch whatever it is!

Is eyelid twitching a known reaction to this protocol, by the way? It's been going on a couple of weeks now and is rather getting on my nerves. It might just be a random crash thing, but I don't recall having it every day for this long before.

I get twitching too, though it didn't start until much higher amounts of methyl b12. I get it when i increase amounts of the supplements on the protocol.

Adster

I think these protocols require that one really keeps up their zinc and magnesium levels, along with the potassium. It appears that the increased methylation really creates a greater demand. That's what I'm finding anyway.

Calathea

Zinc and magnesium duly noted, thanks guys! How much of each do people find are necessary, is dose dependent on size at all (I'm about 105lb/7.5st/48kg), and which forms are best? I'm not on a huge dose of zinc right now, just the 9mg in my multivitamin plus another 25mg from a cheap zinc gluconate (found the bottle in the kitchen cupboard, thought I may as well use it up). For magnesium, I mess around with taking magnesium malate tablets and taking magnesium citrate powder in my electrolyte drink. Both the type and the amount depend on what my gastro-intestinal tract is up to, which in turn depends on various things but particularly what meds I'm on. Right now I'm tending towards constipation (coming off the gabapentin, possibly the B12, and having to take codeine fairly often for pain), so I can tolerate more magnesium.

Freddd

Zinc and magnesium duly noted, thanks guys! How much of each do people find are necessary, is dose dependent on size at all (I'm about 105lb/7.5st/48kg), and which forms are best? I'm not on a huge dose of zinc right now, just the 9mg in my multivitamin plus another 25mg from a cheap zinc gluconate (found the bottle in the kitchen cupboard, thought I may as well use it up). For magnesium, I mess around with taking magnesium malate tablets and taking magnesium citrate powder in my electrolyte drink. Both the type and the amount depend on what my gastro-intestinal tract is up to, which in turn depends on various things but particularly what meds I'm on. Right now I'm tending towards constipation (coming off the gabapentin, possibly the B12, and having to take codeine fairly often for pain), so I can tolerate more magnesium.

Hi Calathea,

On a weight proportionate basis we are taking about the same amount of Zinc. I'm taking 65mg/day and 220 pounds. The best forms are the ones that don't irritate your stomach. I think any of them can work. I'm way too familiar with codeine and found it VERY constipating. My partner has to taker Citrucel (methylcellulose fiber) to manage the opioid induced constipation. Magnesium is very important and in balance with potassium and calcium. Low potassium can also cause constipation.