• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How institutions gaslight whistleblowers — and what can be done

Mary

Moderator Resource
@antares4141 - interesting article! It actually made me think of parallels with the experience of persons who have ME/CFS. We are disbelieved by the medical profession, told it's all in our heads, often treated badly or condescendingly, but in either case not taken seriously, and the more we protest that it's real, then we're labeled "activists" or something - it's enough to make you feel crazy.

I love the movie Gaslight, one of my favorites - I always used to wonder why Ingrid Bergman came to doubt herself so much when her husband did everything he could to discredit her reality - but I think I know now.

antares4141

@antares4141 - interesting article! It actually made me think of parallels with the experience of persons who have ME/CFS. We are disbelieved by the medical profession, told it's all in our heads, often treated badly or condescendingly, but in either case not taken seriously, and the more we protest that it's real, then we're labeled "activists" or something - it's enough to make you feel crazy.

I love the movie Gaslight, one of my favorites - I always used to wonder why Ingrid Bergman came to doubt herself so much when her husband did everything he could to discredit her reality - but I think I know now.

Definitely a thing. I've had people close to me do these types of things. Remarks like "Your not a victim" or "there are no such things as conspiracies" or "ha ha ha! I told you your house made you sick" or "mold makes me sick too but I'm not stupid like you"

I can see how people might do this and than later think it over and regret it. But most don't. I look at people like that and think their is no way that person can have a conscience. Such an insanely cruel thing to do.