• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Gut Bacteria Are Shaking Up Cancer Research

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Top scientists at Roche Holding AG and AstraZeneca Plc are sizing up potential allies in the fight against cancer: the trillions of bacteria that live in the human body....

In November, University of Chicago researchers wrote that giving mice Bifidobacterium, which normally resides in the gastrointestinal tract, was as effective as an immunotherapy in controlling the growth of skin cancer. Combining the two practically eliminated tumor growth. In the second study, scientists in France found that some bacterial species activated a response to immunotherapy, which didn’t occur without the microbes.

Bansaw

I'm convinced that my microbiome is my key to health. I took so many antibiotics a few years ago and I think I knocked my gut out. I have poor absorption etc. I am waiting eagerly for a breakthrough in this area.
I've tried raw milk kefir, kombucha, CB, all kinds of stuff...

msf

Don´t make Prof. Edwards angry, he doesn´t believe in gut bacteria!

Haha, just kidding. It´s interesting though that some people are looking at the gut in many different different diseases. I think Prof. Edwards says that this is because it is fashionable at the moment, and I´m sure that is part of the answer, but it seems to me that this change in mindset is necessary when you have Gastroenterologists who don´t even suggest dietary changes when you go to see them with gut problems! I subsequently found that the FODMAP made a difference to almost all my symptoms, so I think the gut is definitely overlooked in some non-obvious cases.