Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How does low T4 affect B2 transport for those of us on T3 meds?

Discussion in 'Thyroid Dysfunction' started by BadBadBear, Jan 11, 2018.

1. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    The more I read about the importance of B2, and sufficient thyroxine to activate it, the more I wonder what happens for those of us who take exogenous T3 and have suppressed T4 levels?

My T4 levels are usually at a trace amount. I have tried switching to NDT, and even tried going mostly off of T3 meds to let my T4 levels come up. Even when I was on a minimal T3 dose (12 mcg per day) my T4 level stayed suppressed. When I took NDT, my body never seemed to take up the T4 and use it.

In both cases, I developed a very hypothyroid state and had to go back on straight T3. My NMH issues go crazy when I get low on thyroid hormones and my brain fog reaches dangerously ditzy levels. My NDT trial ended when I drove the wrong way down a street, thinking it was a 1 way street.

If I am taking one of the Source Naturals active B2 tablets, is this enough to compensate for the lack of thyroxine? Do the regular B2 supplements do anything useful if T4 is low? Is there anything else helpful that can be done?

Thanks!
    Michelle

2. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    I have no thyroid and can't take T4, NDT or anything T4. I find it upsetting, but I am on T3 only. That's all my body can take. It stinks.

pibee and BadBadBear like this.
  3. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    @Misfit Toy - What are your issues when you try adding some T4?

I think T3 is the only thing that keeps me going, glad to have it available but I wish my body could use T4 appropriately.

4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    For me, I have MCAS. So, it totally fires that right up. I have hives from it and horrible itching. But also, I feel crazy on it. Absolutely nuts. Once I got up to 60 mcg, I couldn't sleep one wink. It was churning my heart, I was having a reaction to it. Every single NDT, compounded thyroxine, all if it. They told me you can be allergic to it. BS. I was dying on it.

Having said that, for me, T3 is not the answer. I am exhausted on it. I have no thyroid so therefore, no choice.

pibee and BadBadBear like this.
  5. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I am having trouble tolerating my thyroid replacement (T4+T3). I suspect copper deficiency (anemia is present, but plenty of iron).

After several months chelating copper from the joints (bursitis) with chondroitin + glucosamine + MSM, high Molybdenum foods and flaxseed oil, I developed anemia, insomnia and difficulty tolerating hormone replacement (both thyroid and estradiol).

So far the only relief I get is from Nettle tea. Other copper sources seem to be a bit problematic (oxalates, aromatase inhibition).

The most problematic foods are those high in zinc, iron and vitamin C.

@Mary @picante

BadBadBear and Mary like this.
  6. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    Misfit Toy and BadBadBear like this.
  7. Gondwanaland

I find that copper is a very misunderstood mineral because it is often unavailable in the body, so it will cause symptoms being both high and low. From the site I trust (I highlighted my current issues):

BadBadBear and Mary like this.
  8. Gondwanaland

I would like to add that I personally noticed taking T3 seems to disrupt proper utilization of copper and selenium.
    Same for having low estradiol/being on HRT re copper.

BadBadBear likes this.
  9. Gondwanaland

A more careful search is showing me that Nettle is high in iron rather than copper :nervous:

BadBadBear likes this.
  10. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I just looked up Nigella sativa (black seed), and it contains copper. Maybe you could try that:
    I started taking black seed oil to break up biofilms. I even swish with it, since dental plaque is a biofilm.

BadBadBear likes this.
  11. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    I'm remembering a well-attended discussion on B2 and its ability to release copper from the liver. Do you remember that, Izzy?

BadBadBear likes this.
  12. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    When I first heard about this, I went looking to see whether it has to be thyroxine. I've observed a bias in medical research: they tend to use thyroxine for all these thyroid hormone experiments, and the question is never raised whether T3 will do the same thing.
    My searches were pretty fruitless, except a couple bits I saved in my info of B2:

pattismith, Learner1 and BadBadBear like this.
  13. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    I rely mostly on T3, but I decided to add a small amount of T4 in the form of Armour thyroid after reading the following article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3809170
    Riboflavin metabolism in the hypothyroid human adult
    I take the following:
    7.5mcg Cytomel every day
    one-half of a 15mg Armour tablet once every FOUR days. This is equivalent to 1.125mcg T3 plus 12.5mcg T4

T4 has a much longer half-life than T3, about 7 days, so in my case with this small dose, it works out OK.

BadBadBear, Gondwanaland and picante like this.
  14. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Well, this shows how good my memory is ;). I posted the above in 2015 when I was trying to find out whether T3 will do what T4 does in B2 conversion! Here is the quote I posted:
    Note: PEM = Protein-energy malnutrition
    Note: Zn2+ is a cofactor!
    Note: in the presence of ATP (Gaaaaah :aghhh:, maybe that's what's limiting our conversion.)

15. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    I believe T4 is necessary unlike what we are taught. I would love to take it, if I didn't break out in massive rashes from it, have migraines from it. It by far is the worst thing I have ever..and I do mean EVER reacted to. Whether NDT, NP, NT, Armour, you name it..thyroxine compounded....never again. I gave up.

There is another guy on a forum I am on right now who is so sick on T4. He is having fevers, chills, sweating, vomiting and his levels are fine. It's funny because everyone is saying, your levels must be off. They are STTM perfect. He just can't handle it. It's sad.

They really need to have HDT. Human desiccated thyroid. We are not met for pigs thyroids or for synthetic thyroid.

I wonder if I could add T2 to T3. I wonder if that would help me.

Since the thyroidectomy, I have lost strength, will, motivation and gone into menopause. Two years ago, TT, and man...I am done.

In case anyone doesn't know, the movie, SICK TO DEATH is being released on FB on January 18th...about hypothyroidism and how it makes you...you guessed it!

CFS_for_19_years and BadBadBear like this.
  16. Gondwanaland

T4 is indeed highly needed. The best info I found ouut there about it is here
    T4’s role in the body http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3-6.html
    T3 and T4’s role in the brain http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3-7.html
    For more articles http://www.tiredthyroid.com/

Having said that, 1 week after starting LT4 back in 2014 I had to see a psychiatrist and ask for an anti-depressant, which I was able to ditch when I switched from LT4 to compounded T4+T3.

I can easily tell when my body is low in glutathione: the 1st sign is depression.

So, in my experience, I would say that T3, rather than T4, activates B2.

ETA- back when I didn't take HRT, minute amounts of B2 would make me depressed. I only started tolerating (minute amounts of) B2 after I started T3.

Interestingly taking selenium never helped, unless in a specific balance with copper. I found a supplement claiming to ensure conversion of T4 into T3, but it doesn't contain copper (perhaps it is in the added herbs?)
    https://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1534

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  17. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Izzy, in this info you quoted from acu-cell, I just noticed the insoluble fiber.

Cellulose!
    It's in so many pills. Last year the doc had me try compounded T3 in a slow-release formula. The slow-release agent was a combination of cellulose and MCC (micro-crystalline cellulose). The stuff went through me without releasing the T3, :rolleyes::lol:. I actually got more hypo symptoms on it, and a gut-ache.

But it antagonizes copper, too. Who knew?

BadBadBear and Gondwanaland like this.
  18. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    :wide-eyed: I've suspected this for a long time: that they do the studies using thyroxine, it converts to T3, and that's the cofactor for riboflavin conversion enzymes. I wish scientists would make these distinctions.

19. Gondwanaland

I have an alternative explanation to my reactions, and this might account for different effects in other people:

T3 is precursor of sex hormones. One person low or high in estrogen will tolerate T3 accordingly I suppose. Men also have estrogen issues.

I have very low estrogen. So it is probably not a good idea to get off of T3 entirely in my case. T4 is extremely anti-estrogenic.

Estrogen activates proteases and too low estrogen will impair digestion/proteolysis.

Estrogen also raises serotonin.

BadBadBear likes this.
  20. Gondwanaland

BadBadBear likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.