• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you keep your body warm during winter?

Bansaw

Its getting colder. Normally in winter I do feel cold a lot. I don't htink its a circulation thing but my body does not seem to produce enough heat, and I often come down with a flu/cold.

Is it common amongst CFS sufferers that they are unbale to produce the heat they need?
If so, what are some of the remedies that I could try out?

Helen

Hi @Bansaw ,

Hypothyroidism seems to be more common among PWME. This site has lots of good information www.stopthethyroidmadness.com about other typical signs and symptoms. An experienced doctor working with thyroid patients recommended the site to me.

Did you get thyroid labtests (TSH, FT4 FT3 and TPO antibodies) ? Quite often also the morning body temperature is lowered if you have hypothyroidism.
The amino acid tyrosine and also iodine and selenium are important at adequate levels for proper functioning of the thyroid.

Hope you have a good doctor that can check if this is what makes you more sensitive to cold and colds. Yes, both might be symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Last edited:

shah78

Google Jackkruse.com ColdThermogenesis 6. I hated winter for 56 years. I still prefer summers, but I've learned to sit in 50 degree water for up to two hours ( on warm days). And yes ,I used to have thyroid issues and take Naturathroid. No more. Babying the condition did me no favors. Learn to be cold adaptive, Kruse style.

ukxmrv

I'm usually too hot and thrive in the cold temperatures. Oddly enough my body temperature is low. Regardless I wear my summer clothes in the winter and keep windows open.

If I do get cold it means that I'm getting a bad bout of the flu or something. Then it's a warm bath, warm clothes, hotwater bottle, hot drinks etc. Still feel cold when this happens though.

Do you have heating and can afford to keep it on?

Sea

Beanie, gloves, merino thermals and down jacket. My husband says I look ready for the snow when everyone else is comfortable with just a jumper.

Sometimes if I can't generate enough heat on my own a small heatpack inside the jacket for a while helps out. The jacket keeps the heat in where I need it.

For those who simply cannot generate enough of their own body heat (common in MS and stroke) there are battery powered heated jackets.

Last edited:
Its getting colder. Normally in winter I do feel cold a lot. I don't htink its a circulation thing but my body does not seem to produce enough heat, and I often come down with a flu/cold.

Is it common amongst CFS sufferers that they are unbale to produce the heat they need?
If so, what are some of the remedies that I could try out?
Layers don't help me at all - I need external warmth to heat me up. I use a small elecrtic throw (technically a poncho) which is big enough to over my entire front or back when sitting up, or all of me if I'm curled up laying down or sitting cross-legged and hunched over : http://www.koozzzi.co.uk/shop/uk/products/poncho/

They have a bigger one which is more blanket sized if you want something to more easily wrap all the way around while sitting : http://www.koozzzi.co.uk/shop/uk/products/lounge-blanket/

It has very nice soft texture, and handles being thrown into the washer on a "hand wash" setting. It automatically shuts itself off after 2 or 3 hours. My only sometimes-problem with it is that some areas get warmer then others. But this can be nice if it's over my lap and I want to shove my hands into the hot areas once in a while.

It also makes a nice normal blanket when not plugged in. The plug detaches, so there's just a small plastic place to insert it, and that's on the top of the blanket so I generally don't even notice it unless I'm moving things around. It's also not stiff or hard at all. Just a soft binky which gets wonderfully warm :love:

Last edited:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I also get very cold and find that just adding layers once I am cold doesn't help to warm me up, so I have to avoid getting cold in the first place. I have a hot shower or bath in the morning, then wear enough layers straight away to keep warm. I have a 'wrap' like a shawl that I wear all the time over my normal clothes.

I always wear 'indoor shoes' - the german felt clog type - and socks and I keep the house warm. I have a wood fired stove and light this and keep it going (as well as my normal heating system), although I do suffer from lung issues so need to be careful with the lighting and cleaning of it.

My final tip is always to have a warm man in your bed - otherwise you will need an electric blanket and hot water bottle. I also never stay up late as my body temp always drops as the night goes on and then I am freezing when I g to bed - twice this has happened to me and I have ended up shaking for hours, once so bad I went to the ER.

As far as thyroid gos, for me its not that straight forward. I have all the symptoms, and responded to Armour thyroid, but eventually it crashed me so badly I have never recovered as my adrenals cant cope with it. So I don't take anything for the subclinical hypothyroidism.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I also might need an external heat source to warm me, especially if laying down. I try not to go to bed cold, as I cannot fall asleep when cold (I also can't sleep if much hot, heh). If I have the energy, a warm shower (with shower chair) helps.

Once lying down, I use lightweight breathable but warm covers. I like wool, which is also supposed to be resistant to dust mites. Once, I got a fantastic never-seen-again sale on a wool duvet and washable wool blankets.

I used to use an electric heating pad, but this now triggers neuropathic pain (heat, mostly, but it can be uncomfortable and even prickly, especially when brought on by the heating pad, and I was once told: "If you don't like it and want it to stop, that's pain." --when I was conflicted about reporting stuff as "pain" at physical therapy, because it was uncomfortable but didn't fit my definition of pain)

I think one year I used lemon essential oil (I used a few drops in another oil), which was supposed to increase circulation, and it actually worked to warm my feet.

My thyroid tests are all fine, and I do not fit neatly into a hypothyroid profile.

If I'm sitting up, I use throw blankets, sweaters, whatever is handy. Also those instant hot hand warmers. I have a reusable one somewhere.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
My final tip is always to have a warm man in your bed - otherwise you will need an electric blanket and hot water bottle.

I would find an electric blanket and hot water bottle greatly preferable!

But my chosen snuggler is a cat. Haven't had an electric blanket for a very long time. That's not to say I never get cold, but that's mainly because I can't afford decent heating.

manna

I keep the air warm as breathing cold air isn't good I don't think. MY heating is from hydronic chrome radiators. I have to lie down for 2-3 hours following each meal so I lie in my bed and thats warm. Inclined Bed Therapy also increase body temperature.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
If you can find knee-high wool/acrylic blend socks they will keep your feet warm. I mentioned adding acrylic because it softens some of the scratchiness of the wool. I wear these to bed some nights.
I also find that wearing ankle-high sheepskin slippers keep my feet warm.
If you're wearing leggings or pants, you can put leg warmers over your leggings or pants.
So all three - wool socks, sheepskin slippers and leg warmers - will help keep the lower part of your body warm.

As far as the upper half goes, I like turtleneck sweaters and add another layer like a sweater or sweatshirt.

Daffodil

i am also cold a lot in the fall/winter and cannot seem to warm myself up well. my mother likes to keep the apartment cold, windows open, etc. cuz she is always hot...so its a constant tug of war. i wear a flannel robe and drink hot drinks. i also use a small space heater.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
For those without access to a warm man, an electric mattress pad is very nice. Since heat rises, it is more effecient than an electric blanket.

I have an oil-filled electric radiator which I move from room to room with me and keep near me.

I wear two pairs of socks which would make my shoes to tight, so I wear slipper-socks with no-skid soles that are given to people in hospitals in this country.

jimells

I have trouble staying warm during the day, but I overheat while sleeping. By November 1 I'll be wearing thermal underwear every day, and that helps much. I suppose turning up the thermostat would help, but that costs big money.

At night I turn the thermostat down to 57 degrees F. By the time the house cools off I'm asleep, and I don't sweat so much. Plus I save on heat.