• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you improve detox impairment?

richvank

Hi Rich and all,

how much TMG do you think would be good for someone with very low SAMe (its not me)

And do you have any reports about eye Problems expecially in the morning, Problems with the contrast of letters on the ground, bands in teh letters although they are not there, I just see them and strewing letters what means that I cant read them clear so I have to get closer to the monitor to read. But this gets better and better through the day and much has gone in the evening. Is this a kind of detox? A kind of toxins Dr. Shoemaker is talking about? It seems to have increased since I take more Methyl-B12 (I have so many mutations in the MTRR hydroxy is not enough.

regards, Joopiter

Hi, Joopiter.

I don't have a dose recommendation for TMG, but Dr. Amy probably does.

Dr. Shoemaker offers a visual contrast sensitivity test on his website www.chronicneurotoxins.com It isn't very expensive. He has found that this test is a good indicator for the presence of biotoxins in the brain. It is also sensitive to toxicity from some organic solvents and also heavy metals, which are also neurotoxins. He has shown that as neurotoxins are removed, the performance on this test improves. I wonder if methyl B12 is methylating mercury and moving it around in your brain.

Best regards,

Rich

Freddd

The things I have seen labeled "detox" that are not actually detox.

1. Glutathione "detox" reaction - induced more severe methylfolate and b12 deficiencies.
  2. NAC "detox reaction" - induced more severe methylfolate and b12 deficiencies.
  3. "detox" when folic acid is being taken - paradoxical folate deficiency, induced more severe methylfolate and b12 deficiencies.
  4. "detox" when folinic acid is being taken - paradoxical folate deficiency, induced more severe methylfolate and b12 deficiencies.
  5. "detox" with mb12/mfolate when certain symptoms occur such as muscle spasms, heart palpitations and mood changes which often are falling potassium levels, hypokalemia. This is genuinely potentially dangerous and needs to be recognized, not called by the wrong name and treated incorrectly.
And as mb12/mfolate are likely to induce multiple deficiencies if everything needed isn't taken I suspect much more is from these induced deficiencies than anything else. So like on the old TV program To Tell The Truth, "Will the real DETOX symptoms please stand up?" Let's see if we can identify them and eliminate all other possibilities. I think it likely that they do exist but finding them amongst all the misnomers is difficult.

anne_likes_red

Example of MB12 induced deficiencies (taurine and magnesium)?

I've been wondering about taurine in particular...

Can methylation interventions induce symptoms of taurine insufficiency in some of us?
This is from Jon Pangborn, Autism: Effective Biomedical Treatments, where he suggests that if both beta alanine and taurine are high (like in minniemoms Nutreval results) that taurine wasting is a strong possibility. In a survey of around 60 autistic kids Pangborn found 62% to have taurine deficiency, or taurine wasting, after dietary intervention but before methylation intervention.
....TMG with folinic acid, methylcobalamin, and possibly even injectable methylcobabamin. Those interventions cause homocysteine to be transformed directly into methionine, bypassing the route to cysteine. While they can open up the methylation roadblock and eventually result in improved cysteine and glutathione levels there is an unavoidable initial period where cysteine and taurine may actually decrease further.

This from Health Insider and seems to be line with what minniemom's Nutreval commentary suggests as a possibility under "taurine".

Wasting of Taurine can also occur when the similarly-structured amino acid beta-alanine is elevated (e.g. bacterial dysbiosis) or is present in the kidney tubules. In cases of Molybdenum deficiency or sulphite oxidase enzyme impairment, elevated urine taurine can result as an emergency method of sulphur excretion.

Renal wasting of Taurine can be medically significant if it affects one of more of Taurine's various important functions, listed below.

*Sparing of Magnesium throughout the body. Urinary Magnesium wasting can result from a taurine deficiency, which is why it is very important to maintain sufficient taurine levels in the body. High taurine levels in the urine may indicate severe taurine wasting in the body, strongly suggesting the requirement for additional dietary or supplemental taurine in order to replenish the wasted taurine, in order to protect Magnesium levels in the cells, which is a metal element that is critical to so many enzymatic reactions in the body. Magnesium deficiency may result in fatigue, depression, muscle tremors and hypertension (high blood pressure).

*Antioxidant and immune system functions. Taurine scavenges excess hypochlorite (OCl-) ions within leukocytes, and also facilitates effective phagocytosis by enhancing the survival rate of leukocytes. Taurine deficiency may lead to increased inflammatory response to toxins, foreign proteins (in the blood, not other amino acids) and xenobiotic chemicals (i.e. of external origin) including aldehydes, alcohols, amines, petroleum solvents and chlorine or chlorite (bleach).

*Neurotransmitter functions. Taurine strongly influences neuronal concentrations and activities of GABA and Glutamic Acid. Taurine can also have anti-convulsant and anti-epileptic effects.

*Conjugation of cholesterol (as cholyl-coenzyme A) to form taurocholic acid, an important constituent of bile and a major use of cholesterol.

*Mediation of the flux of electrolyte elements at the plasma membrane of bodily cells. Deficiency in taurine may result in increased cellular Calcium and Sodium levels and reduced Magnesium levels.

*Increased resistance to aggregation of blood platelets and decreased thromboxane release if aggregation does take place.

Pathologies attributed to taurine deficiency in the cells include billiary insufficiency, fat malabsorption (steatorrhea), cardiac arrhythmia, congestive heart failure, poor vision, retinal degeneration, granulomatous disorder of neutrophils, immune system dysfunction, enhanced inflammatory response to xenobiotics (toxins of foreign origin), convulsions and also seizures.
...http://www.medicalinsider.com/nutritional.html#taurine

Is it reasonable to expect that for a percentage of us some of the symptoms above might be experienced initially at least after supplementing methylB12? And how about the other forms of B12?

My book is a few years old now and I don't know if these recommendations still stand, but in 2005 Pangborn with the Autism Research Institute strongly recommended taurine supplementation after B6 and magnesium are on board, but before methylation treatment.
I'm not sure but I think Amy Yasko might disagree with that as a blanket recommendation. I'm not familiar enough with her full protocol.

Freddd

I've been wondering about taurine in particular...

Can methylation interventions induce symptoms of taurine insufficiency in some of us?
This is from Jon Pangborn, Autism: Effective Biomedical Treatments, where he suggests that if both beta alanine and taurine are high (like in minniemoms Nutreval results) that taurine wasting is a strong possibility. In a survey of around 60 autistic kids Pangborn found 62% to have taurine deficiency, or taurine wasting, after dietary intervention but before methylation intervention.

This from Health Insider and seems to be line with what minniemom's Nutreval commentary suggests as a possibility under "taurine".

...http://www.medicalinsider.com/nutritional.html#taurine

Is it reasonable to expect that for a percentage of us some of the symptoms above might be experienced initially at least after supplementing methylB12? And how about the other forms of B12?

My book is a few years old now and I don't know if these recommendations still stand, but in 2005 Pangborn with the Autism Research Institute strongly recommended taurine supplementation after B6 and magnesium are on board, but before methylation treatment.
I'm not sure but I think Amy Yasko might disagree with that as a blanket recommendation. I'm not familiar enough with her full protocol.

Hi Anne_likes_red,

Is it reasonable to expect that for a percentage of us some of the symptoms above might be experienced initially at least after supplementing methylB12?

I really don't have an answer for that. The items that there is no doubt of by pragmatic effect are Methylfolate and potassium followed in no particular order by Vit A, D, E, C, B-complex, zinc and magnesium. The vitamins are all involved in building tissue and lack of any of these can bring things to a grinding halt. The lacks that are pragmatically determined to correct onset of heart arrhythmias are b-complex twice a day and potassium. I am sure that other items are no doubt involved. The catch is that most of those are not pragmatically resolved with additional items before they typically fade away. The startup symptoms fade away typically in the 10 day to 3 month period, some quickly and some more prolonged.

And how about the other forms of B12?

There could be some similarities with adb12 in that it's lack can strongly delay muscle tissue formation and neurological repair both of which put a strain on resources.

Let's look at the difference with potassium, as a marker of some of the circumstances of such pressure on resources. I had low potassium from each of several items and my potassium was typically on the low end of "normal" in those days, about 4.2, so it was very sensitive to such changes. This occurred with mb12, adb12, l-carnitine fumarate, SAM-e and Methylfolate. It also occurred with glutathione but probably for other reasons since I was undergoing tissue breakdown instead..

With mb12/adb12 the low potassium symptoms are very common (perhaps 1/3 or more of those with significant responses) but not well recognized because the symptoms are highly variable and the literature around cycbl and hycbl says that it is anecdotal and "rare". With potassium relief can be had in 30 minutes or less so the relief is easily tied to potassium.

Based on my own multiple experiences, methylation can start up within a couple of hours with mb12 and/or methylfolate, depending upon the cause of breakdown. It's like going from a cranky 1940 outboard to a modern electric start motor. From the start I have noticed that people who have most everything else (vitamins and minerals anyway) started first, or at the latest at the same time, have a smoother startup, though not less intense, just less rocky without all the start and stop and healing happening quickly, so things start dropping off the list within a couple of weeks.

Another consideration. It had been thought for a long time that cycbl and hycbl did not have a dose related healing curve. Newer studies on IF based absorption and binding into the transport system places the dose effectiveness range at 1-100mcg oral dosing. 100mcg is where the binding system, HTCII by measurement is saturated. Previous studies were done with gnerally higher doses and many of them in people without IF mediated absorption. Mb12 on the other hand has dose proportionate healing from 1-20,000mcg sublingual or thereabouts, perhaps 1-5000 injected SC and then one discontinuous increase at around 50,000mcg sublingual, perhaps 7.5-12.5mg injected SC. By my own experience and observation of others, I would suggest that perhaps 50% of all the healing, and b12 effects takes place with the first 250mcg absorbed and a converging series (ie 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 ...) after that as the dose increases. Again, this would appear to indicate a whole lot more would be going on at one time with mb12 than any other form

Just looking at the possible relative incidence of hypokalemia it looks pretty easy to say that the mb12 is far more active than hycbl or cycbl or adb12 for that matter for any number of reasons. Once started the symptoms are constantly changing until things drop off the list one by one. So if there were a lot of biochemical changes that kept changing until a new equilibrium is reached, I would expect more changes of all kinds happening faster with mb12.

The symptoms of taurine wasting appear to be generally consistant with b12 deficiency rather than appearing on startup but many such symptoms at least appear to intensify on startup. The actual cause is difficult to say with any specificity.