• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Do You Handle the Summer?

View the Post on the Blog

by Jody Smith

For most years in the last two decades, summer has been my best season. My serious crashes always took place between September and April. And every year, beginning in May, I would begin my slow climb back toward something resembling health.

Laying outside in the sun for 20 minutes or so in the mornings seemed to make a difference surprisingly quickly. Being able to go for walks, being out in the summer weather, increased my mood and seemed to be one of the factors decreasing my ME/CFS symptoms.

By mid-summer I usually had advanced to being a dull/normal. Not bursting with energy, but I was no longer a staggering, shaking vegetable either. By the end of the summer I would usually be able to go for half hour walks and enjoy basic activities every day. My cognitive abilities also improved during these months.

By the end of the summer I would be telling myself that it seemed like I was getting better. Nobody was more shocked than I when every September I would find my energy diminished, my mental faculties shutting down and my physical stamina trampled by parasthesia and muscle weakness once more.

Vitamin D

I cannot prove that my discovery of vitamin D in the fall of 2007 prevented the major crashes that first winter, and most winters thereafter. It is the only thing that changed though and I am convinced that vitamin D has been a superhero in my life.

I take a lot of it, 10,000 IUs a day, year round. This is not to say that you should be doing this, everyone's vitamin D needs are unique to them. I tried taking less at a time and found that the fewer tablets I took, the more my ME/CFS symptoms would re-emerge.

All this makes me think that my summer resurgences were and are linked with my own personal tendency to be vitamin D deficient. Do I know this for sure? No, I don't. But I like feeling better, and I prefer that this not be limited to a few months in the summer.

Photophobia

But summer is not a panacea for everyone with ME/CFS. And in fact, there were a few summers when I couldn't handle being in the full-bore sunlight. I learned later this could be called photophobia, which is not a fear of anything, rather it is a physical intolerance for bright or even moderate light. If I was outside for more than a few minutes, I would experience an amazing visual grab bag of symptoms.

What I was seeing was washed with a white light, rendering my vision blurry. I'd see quick little light zaps, and floaters of light in my line of vision. It was hard to track or focus my eyes on anything. This situation would often trigger renewed vertigo, and left me with a cognitive lag, as my brain tried to process what I was trying to see.

The only remedy was to get into a darker location, and not try to do anything till the phenomenon would pass. Sometimes it would correct itself within 20 minutes, other times the after-effects stayed with me through much of the day. Those summers, I avoided being outside very long.

Jesse

My son Jesse, 23, has been sick for seven years. He spent the first of those years in a darkened room, away from the light. When I persuaded him to try my method of lying in the sun, it made him worse. He would feel sick and light-headed afterward, and his vision was negatively affected. So that was a lesson for me.

He has gradually been improving the last couple of years, and is now able to spend some time in the sunshine. But he would never willingly spend a day outside in the sun because too much of it is still a bad thing for him. The heat makes him feel unwell, rather than revitalized as it does for me.

He prefers to be cold, while my muscles start to ache when the temperatures are too cool. I need temperatures to be in the low 70s, so no keeping the thermostat turned down in the winter to save money for me. He lives in this warm environment by keeping his window open a good deal of the winter, and a fan on in his room when it's too cold out for open windows.

Some of us embrace the return of the sun each summer. Some of us dread its effects.

What is summer like for you?

Further Reading

Visual Symptoms
http://www.neurosymptoms.org/#/visual-symptoms/4539525685

Visual Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://www.cfids.org/archives/2001rr/2001-rr3-article02.asp

When Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Harms Vision
http://www.everydayhealth.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome/vision-problems.aspx

Phoenix Rising is a registered 501 c.(3) non profit. We support ME/CFS and NEID patients through rigorous reporting, reliable information, effective advocacy and the provision of online services which empower patients and help them to cope with their isolation.

There are many ways you can help Phoenix Rising to continue its work. If you feel able to offer your time and talent, we could really use some more authors, proof-readers, fundraisers, technicians etc. and we'd love to expand our Board of Directors. So, if you think you can help then please contact Mark through the Forum.

And don't forget: you can always support our efforts at no cost to yourself as you shop online! To find out more, visit Phoenix Rising’s Donate page by clicking the button below.

View the Post on the Blog

I HATE the summer with a passion.

I used to be a beach girl when I was 17. Than I became ill and with that heat intolerance, photosensitivity which is different from photo phobia. In photosensitivity the immune system sees the rays as invaders and attacks them. Causing an autoimmune reaction leaving me violently ill.
If the sun is out I only can go and sit in the yard when the sun has go down. I'm mostly bedridden now but the years I was still able to walk it was tough. And still is. I send hubby away to go to the park swimming with the dogs and have fun. But the ugly green eyed monster sometimes rears his head. Luckily no one can hear me scream at that point. :)

I'm a fall and winter gal. I love the crisp air the beautiful colors of the leaves. On a good day I can sit on my front porch. Ahhhhh, can't wait! :)

I also feel a lot better in the summer, when I get a tan. But since vitamin D didn't help me, I wondered if it could be something else. I think it could be immune system regulation through Photoimmunology: http://followmeindenmark.blogspot.dk/2012/11/photoimmunology.html
That's very interesting, Helle - I hadn't heard of photoimmunology. Shame about all the poor mice though...

I walked into town today and the weather is too hot for me. When it's like this, the slightest exertion brings me out in a sweat and exhausts me. It seems consistent with producing heat instead of ATP, which can happen if there is uncoupling of ATP production from oxidative phosphorylation.

Wondering whether this could be related to acidosis, I just did a search and found this paper which looks very interesting and potentially relevant:

http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/12/suppl_1/S15.full

It is like a heatwave in Cornwall this week! Reminded me how I can no longer tolerate it. Spent Sunday afternoon with my niece and nephew and their parents and my own, sat mainly in the garden under a shade. After a couple of hours they drove me home. It was too much. Yesterday was crap. All day was unproductive. Today isn't much better.

Is it all down to the heat? Well I don't know. Am carrying extra baggage these days; but hot temperatures have always caused me to 'flare' since getting this wonderful diagnosis whereas before they definitely did not. Also, I am 43 years ancient now compared to 29 when I began my journey.

I think heat is exhausting. I think humidity is worse. I function far better in the cold or cool. Temperature regulation is of course a common issue associated with our condition; and excessive sweating especially - most noticeably - at night: is typical for me and disgusting.

At least I can now tolerate the sun's brightness. I can draw back my curtains. So I am pleased so see the sun at least :)

Is it all down to the heat? Well I don't know. Am carrying extra baggage these days; but hot temperatures have always caused me to 'flare' since getting this wonderful diagnosis whereas before they definitely did not. Also, I am 43 years ancient now compared to 29 when I began my journey.

If 43 is ancient I must be prehistoric! :lol:

Despite my venerable age, I lost my 'extra baggage' with ease and improved many symptoms dramatically with my gluten-free, low-sugar/low-grain diet.

I trust you have tried this, young man. If not, why not?!:D

MeSci the flippant 'male on a safa beligerant' response is: I have lost too much already; did the diet crap; and can't be arsed to lose anymore of especially the small things that remain. I don't eat much as it is. My extra pounds are due to lack of ability to exercise. Nothing more. And with knobs on :D

MeSci the flippant 'male on a safa beligerant' response is: I have lost too much already; did the diet crap; and can't be arsed to lose anymore of especially the small things that remain. I don't eat much as it is. My extra pounds are due to lack of ability to exercise. Nothing more. And with knobs on :D

I think you're wrong, and I bet I recover before you. :p

I have the body of a spoilt brat. If it gets too cold it turns purple and blue like a toddler having a major tantrum and refuses to function. It insists on overly dramatic uncontrollable shivering just to make a point.
Then it gets warmer and the spoilt brat body behaves reasonably well - with occasional attacks of refusing to breathe just to keep me on my toes.
Then it get's too hot and it likes to get flaky and have over dramatic black outs and battles with gravity. Then for some completely unknown reason it will go from way too hot and complaining about the heat to shivering in the same heat.

A lot of the extra weight we folks lug around is drug fat; I've been on enough steroids over the years to make me the size of an elephant and with added amitrip it's a wonder I'm not a whale.

Many of my forebears would take a jolly off to Egypt for the winter months to avoid the English weather. I'd love to do that - or did.

Now I think the heat would do for me. I last had a trip to Turkey and that was tough going, but tougher than hot dry heat is hot humidity. Now that IS energy sapping.

I often wonder when on the forum and checking out where others hail from how those who live in the southern states manage with the humidity. I have been to Florida twice when well and I still remember that unique damp heat. Phew!

Looking back I reckon I have sweated 10 years of even my current body weight (OK I am not huge - just bordering on overweight according to the quack but it's too much in relation to historic norms and I hate it).

I also hate waking wrapped in wet sheets. Not a very nice way to start the day - and that's regardless of the external temperature.

I used to tote around a large fan wherever I lived. Fortunately, I seem able to manage better in my current old house with it's nice thick walls. Stays pretty cool most of the day.

Unfortunately, it means when the weather is like this I tend to hibernate and venture out even less than I am normally able; or at least I am far more cautious - early morning walks and late evening soirees :)

I have the body of a spoilt brat. If it gets too cold it turns purple and blue like a toddler having a major tantrum and refuses to function. It insists on overly dramatic uncontrollable shivering just to make a point.
Then it gets warmer and the spoilt brat body behaves reasonably well - with occasional attacks of refusing to breathe just to keep me on my toes.
Then it get's too hot and it likes to get flaky and have over dramatic black outs and battles with gravity. Then for some completely unknown reason it will go from way too hot and complaining about the heat to shivering in the same heat.

Great description! :)

A lot of the extra weight we folks lug around is drug fat; I've been on enough steroids over the years to make me the size of an elephant and with added amitrip it's a wonder I'm not a whale.

I have never taken any drugs specifically for ME, and was only on desmopressin and an ACE inhibitor when I put on a lot of weight. I was under a lot of stress though, and eating a lot of carbs. I'm still on those drugs, but lost the excess weight after cutting out gluten and going low-carb. It was so easy. No hunger. The fat loss and muscle gain have made it much easier to do everything, improving my balance, strength and co-ordination.

Used to love heat. Especially hot nights. But now heat kills me. And for the past 4 years we've been living in Arizona! Before that, we lived at 7,000 feet near Park City, UT, where it snowed 10 months out of the year, and I loved it! Turns out that when the mercury drops, it makes me want to be more active. A couple winters ago we had a hard freeze (15 deg F) here in Tucson, and I really wanted to go out and walk (and did and enjoyed it). In the summer, it rarely drops much below 90 even at night, and walks, which I occasionally take at night, just don't feel good.

I also don't tolerate sun well. I tend to get a rash instead of burning, and my eyes squint and run. No, Arizona is not the best place for me!

Recommended: cooling vests for ME/CFS patients

We are having a heatwave on the east coast of the USA. And we don't have air conditioning! So I want to recommend something for those who can't tolerate the heat, like me. I just bought this "cooling vest" and love it. It really works. It comes with ice packs that you freeze and then slip into these pockets all over the vest. Cost $119. Well worth it.
http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/Kool-Max®-Cooling-c14.htm

(I have no financial interest in this product, I just found that it works for me and thought others might like it, too.)

oh, i see sushi already recommended cooling vests on page 1 of this thread (she is always 10 steps ahead of me!!!). duh. anyway, the one i bought (see above link) is a bit cheaper than some others i found, and seems to be working well. i'm wearing it as i type this. and it is a sweltering 92 degrees already here, and it is still morning! yikes. expected to get up to 100 today. very very rare for here.

A FRIEND JUST SENT ME THIS ADDITIONAL NOTE:

Hi, I don't know if you get the xxx newsletters, but xxx was promoting a neckscarf variant of this. I did some research and got this one at Amazon for $10.10:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B5I57I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's terrific! Yesterday I wore it to get to and from xxxxx, and it really made a difference! You just wet it and it holds a ton of moisture without dripping and stays damp and cool for a couple hours.

The people who made your vest also make a neckscarf with cooling packs for $27.95:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B5I57I/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These might be good options to let people know about. The vest is insanely out of my price range, and I suspect that applies to many others as well.

Oh, and it's also recommended for OI patients.

My best seasons are spring and fall. Winter is generally worse than summer. When it is really hot, I say indoors as much as I can. I have a special 'skimpy' wardrobe that I wear only in my apartment. I use the refreezable ice packs for sprains and such to help keep me cool.

I have two air conditioner that are not meant for as many square feet as my apartment is. They keep it liveable most of the the time. Right now is not that time. We have had hot weather for the past 4 days. I don't cook. I eat cold food, use the microwave and toaster, and get food out. My computer room is small. If I turn the air conditioner toward it, I am comfortable here.

Yesterday afternoon is was 90F in my living room and bedroom and 92F in my kitchen. Last night I put my (seldom used) exercise mat down in front of an air conditioner. I folded a couple of blankets on top of it, then added a sheet. It was still sort of hard, so I got a body pillow I do not like to use on the bed and found l liked it on my pallet. I slept there last night and will again tonight. The heat is supposed to break tomorrow, but it may take my solid brick building a few days to cool down.

My best seasons are spring and fall. Winter is generally worse than summer. When it is really hot, I say indoors as much as I can. I have a special 'skimpy' wardrobe that I wear only in my apartment. I use the refreezable ice packs for sprains and such to help keep me cool.

I have two air conditioner that are not meant for as many square feet as my apartment is. They keep it liveable most of the the time. Right now is not that time. We have had hot weather for the past 4 days. I don't cook. I eat cold food, use the microwave and toaster, and get food out. My computer room is small. If I turn the air conditioner toward it, I am comfortable here.

Yesterday afternoon is was 90F in my living room and bedroom and 92F in my kitchen. Last night I put my (seldom used) exercise mat down in front of an air conditioner. I folded a couple of blankets on top of it, then added a sheet. It was still sort of hard, so I got a body pillow I do not like to use on the bed and found l liked it on my pallet. I slept there last night and will again tonight. The heat is supposed to break tomorrow, but it may take my solid brick building a few days to cool down.

I'm sleeping in my (unfinished) conservatory for the first part of the night at the moment, as it's too hot upstairs until the early morning. It also saves having to drag myself upstairs when I'm feeling tired and weak. I'm usually feeling stronger after lying down for a few hours.