• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you buy pharmaceuticals in Canada at brick and mortar pharmacies?

This is a silly question and I don't even know where to post it. I've googled and googled and all I get is online pharmacies. The question is:

How does a foreigners buy prescription pharmaceuticals in a pharmacy in Canada? do they date US prescriptions? Can a pharmacist prescribe and dispense on the spot like in many countries (except the US)? What about scheduled drugs, or whatever the canadian equivalent is to a US schedule II-IV drug? How are they priced?-- I assume the government sets the prices, but then wouldn't they be published somewhere?. There isn't a canadian equivalent of goodrx, so I have no idea how drugs are priced in canada.

I work right next to the canadian border and can go any time, so I'm curious how prescription drugs in canada. Old people crossing the border by bus to buy lower cost drugs and come back to the US is always low grade normal news, but I can never find any information about how it actually works. There is a canadian costco on the other side of the river.

In addition to me just being curious and knowing for myself, I would like to see what the price of Gleevec is for my mother. It costs $10,000/mo currently covered by her insurance and I would like to make sure we have a backup plan for getting it if there is a supply/coverage problem some day.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
How does a foreigners buy prescription pharmaceuticals in a pharmacy in Canada? do they date US prescriptions?
Why not call one and ask? Also, though they don't always publish their prices online, they will usually tell you over the phone.