• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do we stop heart disease (Atherosclerosis, Arteriolosclerosis, Arteriosclerosis, calcification)

Gondwanaland

The Endless Summer
Thermoneutrality Prevents Monocytosis and Reduces Atherosclerosis

By comparing atherosclerotic lesion development over a series of temperatures and in 2 atherosclerotic prone models, they reveal stark differences in plaque size, such that larger lesions are found in animals under cold conditions. Their studies reveal a novel temperature-sensitive modulation of monocyte release from the bone marrow that ultimately impacts atherogenesis. Importantly, Williams et al1 have also uncoupled the metabolic protective role of the heat-generating UCP1 (uncoupling protein 1) from atherosclerosis.

Gondwanaland

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1016/0014-5793(95)00726-P/pdf
FEBS Letters 368 (1995) 513 515

Prooxidant iron and copper, with ferroxidase and xanthine oxidase activities in human atherosclerotic material

Abstract

Low density lipoproteins are highly sensitive to oxidation by copper salts, and such peroxidation is accompanied by macrophage scavenger receptor recognition. This study shows that fresh human atherosclerotic material (aneurysms and endarterectomies) can contain detectable amounts of redox active iron and copper that is chelatable from tissue homogenates. Such material is often prooxidant towards lipid peroxidation and deoxyribose degradation. Aneurysms and endarterectomies contain ferroxidase 1 activities, whereas only in aneurysms could caeruloplasmin be immunologically detected. Ferroxidase 2 activity, characteristic of a copper-oxidised lipoprotein complex, could not, however, be detected in any of the atherosclerotic samples. A third ferroxidase activity, attributable to xanthine oxidase, was present in several aneurysms and endarterectomies.

Gondwanaland

https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/94920/pdf
JCI Insight. 2017 Oct 5;2(19). pii: 94920. doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.94920. [Epub ahead of print]
Dietary potassium regulates vascular calcification and arterial stiffness.

Abstract
Vascular calcification is a risk factor that predicts adverse cardiovascular complications of several diseases including atherosclerosis. Reduced dietary potassium intake has been linked to cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension and incidental stroke, although the underlying molecular mechanisms remain largely unknown. Using the ApoE-deficient mouse model, we demonstrated for the first time to our knowledge that reduced dietary potassium (0.3%) promoted atherosclerotic vascular calcification and increased aortic stiffness, compared with normal (0.7%) potassium-fed mice. In contrast, increased dietary potassium (2.1%) attenuated vascular calcification and aortic stiffness. Mechanistically, reduction in the potassium concentration to the lower limit of the physiological range increased intracellular calcium, which activated a cAMP response element-binding protein (CREB) signal that subsequently enhanced autophagy and promoted vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) calcification. Inhibition of calcium signals and knockdown of either CREB or ATG7, an autophagy regulator, attenuated VSMC calcification induced by low potassium. Consistently, elevated autophagy and CREB signaling were demonstrated in the calcified arteries from low potassium diet-fed mice as well as aortic arteries exposed to low potassium ex vivo. These studies established a potentially novel causative role of dietary potassium intake in regulating atherosclerotic vascular calcification and stiffness, and uncovered mechanisms that offer opportunities to develop therapeutic strategies to control vascular disease.

Press release

Gondwanaland

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28814639
J Lipid Res. 2017 Oct;58(10):1999-2007. doi: 10.1194/jlr.M077792. Epub 2017 Aug 16.
Deposition and hydrolysis of serine dipeptide lipids of Bacteroidetes bacteria in human arteries: relationship to atherosclerosis.

Abstract
Multiple reaction monitoring-MS analysis of lipid extracts from human carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery samples from young individuals consistently demonstrated the presence of bacterial serine dipeptide lipid classes, including Lipid 654, an agonist for human and mouse Toll-like receptor (TLR)2, and Lipid 430, the deacylated product of Lipid 654. The relative levels of Lipid 654 and Lipid 430 were also determined in common oral and intestinal bacteria from the phylum Bacteroidetes and human serum and brain samples from healthy adults. The median Lipid 430/Lipid 654 ratio observed in carotid endarterectomy samples was significantly higher than the median ratio in lipid extracts of common oral and intestinal Bacteroidetes bacteria, and serum and brain samples from healthy subjects. More importantly, the median Lipid 430/Lipid 654 ratio was significantly elevated in carotid endarterectomies when compared with control artery samples. Our results indicate that deacylation of Lipid 654 to Lipid 430 likely occurs in diseased artery walls due to phospholipase A2 enzyme activity. These results suggest that commensal Bacteriodetes bacteria of the gut and the oral cavity may contribute to the pathogenesis of TLR2-dependent atherosclerosis through serine dipeptide lipid deposition and metabolism in artery walls.

chilove

Go vegan. A whole foods plant based diet is the best way to prevent and cure heart disease.

Check out a book by Dr Esselstyn called "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease- The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition Based Cure"

How do we stop heart disease (Atherosclerosis,Arteriolosclerosis,Arteriosclerosis,calcification, endothelian dysfunction, calcification of heart valve etc)
This thread is an attempt to find an answer to that question.

General

From very limited data available, it says that people with ME/CFIDS will die of heart failure or cancer about 20+ years earlier than other people.

The core problem with heart disease endothelian dysfunction which causes inflammation in arteries which in turn attract plaque and calcification. The heart valves can calcify too. There can be other problems but I am ready to die when those problems come about anyway. For me, my objective is to avoid becoming too disabled and be able to take care of myself until the day I die.

Finding Serrapeptase and Nattokinase

I am 62 year old male. Around 15 years ago, I got to the point where I could barely walk. My arms and legs hurt. In the back of my mind I thought, I may have peripheral artery disease but I did not know what I could do. It also indicated that my risk for heart attack was 5 to 6 times higher. At some point I bit the bullet and confronted it. I researched for an answer for some period of time. I came across lumbrokinase studies in China. It was an enzyme that prevented heart attacks and strokes. Later I came across studies by Neiper on Serrapeptase in cleaning the arteries. I also came across Nattokinase. I did not have any ideas on dosage so I went high dosage on both (Serrapeptase 300,000 and Nattokinase 120,000 per day) and split the dosage up to 3 times a day. After one month, my peripheral artery disease symptoms disappeared. I took dosage for another 2 months then went on maintenance. i did try Nattokinase and Serrapeptase alone but it wasn't sufficient. I had to combine both and lowered to maintenance dose (40,000,20,000 per day) for many years.

The only symptom remaining was that if I over exercised my thighs and it didn't take much, I would get pain in the thighs and would take a couple days to stop feeling pain I couldn't identify what that problem was. I could exercise my other muscles and I wouldn't feel that. Just my thigh muscles. I was thinking that maybe the smaller arteries didn't heal. I don't know Never affected my daily living except if I stooped up and down and put muscle constant exertion on my legs where I build up lactic acid. Tried creatine to resolve it. So I moved on.

In the last year or so, I moved my maintenance dose to more varying levels because if the dose was too small, I would feel pain in my leg. So I will go to 120,000 for Serrapeptase at times for a dose. The Nattokinase I won't go over 40,000 because there is a limit to what it can do so I stick around 20,000. Each person needs to ballpark what i right for them at any given time and must be taken on empty stomach. I find it takes 15-20 minutes for me to absorb then I can eat.

I don't go to doctors so I have no idea what all my arteries look like. For all I know, I could drop dead at any moment. Many heart attacks are sudden and unexpected. I just hope it is quick. Of course, many other things could cause my ending. I don't plan on having any bypass surgery or anything to try to save myself. Bypass and stents make implementing natural solutions harder and only delay the inevitable. It is a financial boom to doctors.

NITRIC OXIDE

Supplements that promote nitric oxide are very limited in what they can do due to the rate limiting factor. In studies, supplementation did not stop arteriosclerosis. It will make the arteries a little more flexible hence bring down blood pressure so take some stress off arteries but does not stop the underlying disease progression. It's just buying a little more time at best I think. It works well superficially in that it brings blood pressure down and keeps doctors from suggesting Statin drugs but for me, that just doesn't cut it if it is not stopping progression of arteriosclerosis. Many supplements help with nitric oxide.

INFLAMMATION

I don't see the enzymes as a solution. I see it as just another tool. The underlying cause will be inflammation. As we age, the inflammation process can pick up steam. Having a disease will make inflammation worse also. If the inflammation is not addressed, enzymes will not be enough especially post 60 years old.

The best write up on inflammation has been by Dr Sinatra

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3-website-hd/resources/web/pdfs/sin-good-news-about-cholesterol-0317.pdf

Here are the key points

Cholesterol is not culprit. French averaged 250 cholestrol level

You want no more than .8 mg/dL of CRP in your system, and any amount over that signals that your inflammatory process has gone into overdrive and you’re in a state of inflammation overload. In multiple studies, CRP has been identified as a potent predictor of future cardiovascular events in otherwise healthy men and women—one that’s far more reliable than elevated cholesterol levels. For example, one study of CRP in 28,000 American women determined that CRP (and not cholesterol) was the best indicator of cardiovascular risk. And, by the way, high CRP levels also predicted greater risk for men.

LIMIT, OR BETTER YET ELIMINATE, SUGAR
Sugar contributes to inflammation of the arterial walls by generating an insulin spike. When insulin spikes, it damages the endothelial lining of blood vessels, thus leading to heart attack or stroke.

AVOID TRANS FATTY ACIDS
The unnatural trans fatty acids used in processed foods ignite inflammation,
raise Lp(a) (a highly inflammatory form of cholesterol), promote cholesterol oxidation, and lower beneficial HDL cholesterol

KEEP YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE IN THE NORMAL RANGE
High blood pressure damages arterial walls, leading to arterial damage and
atherosclerosis. It can also enlarge the heart, creating an extra oxygen demand. So, to keep inflammation at bay, you want to maintain normal blood
pressure levels.

AVOID
UNNECESSARY RADIATION
X-rays and other medical procedures that use radiation have the potential to
damage the sensitive lining of arterial walls. So, ask your doctor if the tests that he or she is requesting are truly necessary, or can be replaced with diagnostic tools that won’t expose

MANAGE YOUR STRESS LEVELS
Stress hormones promote inflammation, as well as arterial constriction, high blood pressure, increased heart rate, cholesterol oxidation, and blood clotting. Acute stress, such as anger, can cause heart attack or stroke.

4 powerful nutrients that can help you maintain good cardiovascular health

If you’re over 60 or on a statin drug, I recommend increasing your CoQ10 intake to 100 to 200 mg daily.

I'd also recommend dividing the dosages, taking half of your daily CoQ10 in the morning and the rest in the afternoon. That’s because when CoQ10 is taken twice a day, as opposed to one, the blood levels are much higher. That’s also the same for many other heart vitamins.

L-carnitine
L-carnitine, a water-soluble nutrient produced from the amino acids lysine and methionine, is found in all living tissue. It helps deliver extra oxygen to blocked arteries. It also prevents the production of toxic fatty acid and helps circulation problems, as it improves blood flow by supporting better use of oxygen in the tissues.

How much L-carnitine should you take?
Take 400–1,200 mg in divided dosages, depending upon your clinical status. Start at the low end of the dosage scale and work up until you achieve the desired effect. Like CoQ10, L-carnitine may require fine-tuning to obtain the optimal therapeutic blood level.

Magnesium
Magnesium is essential to healthy heart function, yet low magnesium is one of the most underdiagnosed electrolyte abnormalities in clinical practice today.
There is a direct relationship between low magnesium and high blood pressure. Over time, low magnesium levels may predispose the interior of your vessels to contract (go into spasm) and, eventually, high blood pressure can result. Magnesium can come to the rescue of contracted blood vessels and even reverse some of the damage.

How much magnesium should you take?
To replenish low magnesium levels, take 400–800 mg of magnesium daily. Although
magnesium oxide is a common form used in many supplements, I have found it is not easily soluble or well absorbed by the body. I recommend magnesium citrate, taurinate, or orotate.

D-ribose
Investigators believe that under certain cardiac conditions—especially during ischemic episodes like angina and heart attack when the heart is deprived of oxygen—there’s a profound depression of the high energy compound, ATP. With a drop in ATP, the heart struggles to pump.
However, when oxygen-starved hearts receive supplemental D-ribose, energy recovery and diastolic function often return to normal in several days or less.
How much D-ribose should you take?
Depending upon your own particular situation, I recommend taking a total of 10–15 grams of D-ribose daily. Take in divided dosages of 5 grams each with meals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Vitamin K2

Vitamin K2 is supplemented in two forms MK-4 and MK-7.

http://omegavia.com/how-to-choose-the-right-vitamin-k2-supplement/
You need both MK-4 and MK-7 (particularly MK-4)
These are very different molecules with different structures and different functions.

Based on all of the above, you could make a compelling argument that MK-4 is much more important than MK-7.

Also discussion at
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...amin-k-2-mk-4-or-mk7-helped-you.15605/page-12

Here is Chris MasterJohn link on vitamin K2
https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/12/09/the-ultimate-vitamin-k2-resource/

OTHER

Enough Vitamin D3 is important for K2 utilization. Bio available silica is critical to curing brittle bones. Look at the back label of Jarrow's Ultra Bone Up for bone cofactors. Borax (boron) is important nutrient for parathyroid gland which controls blood calcium levels.

I've looked into calcium scans and decided that they have their limitations. They really don't give the true status of calcification from what I have been able to research since the scans won't detect all the calcium forms. There are different scans and can be cost prohibitive or non-accessible.

I usually try to cure something before posting but this is one of those exceptions. Unless I had a home method for figuring out whether I am removing calcium from arteries. I have no reliable method for seeing if something is working. I don't know the degree of blockages i have either. Arterial blockage especially on larger arteries is silent so not easy to know. If I get abnormally very tired then probably the end is near. All I can do is put as many known factors in my favor as possible.

prioris

For more than 20 years, the Cleveland Clinic doctor has tried to get Americans to eat like the Papua New Guinea highlanders, rural Chinese, central Africans and the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico.

Esselstyn says his diet works because it keeps the lining of the blood vessels free of the dangerous blisters or bubbles or cholesterol-laden plaque that causes heart attacks.

The Esselstyn diet is tough for most Americans to swallow: no meat, no eggs, no dairy, no added oils

---------------

I pretty much eat hardly any eggs and dairy. I need lots of protein. I need to maintain my weight since i'm getting older. Not easy to do on a vegan diet without huge volumes of food.

I'd rather have a diet where I didn't eat any food. Any diets with "No anything" in it while still maintaining weight ... LOL

P.S.

The Grand Solar Minimum has arrived.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/grand-solar-minimum-will-make-earth-colder.57079

Timaca

@prioris ~ Yes, Dr. Esselstyn has had great success in turning around people's cardiac issues with diet. He is the keynote speaker at a Health Conference and VegFest starting Thursday in Sedona Arizona. I hope to be in attendance. For those interested here is a recent video of one of his talks. Here is another one.

Interestingly enough, when I followed a Whole Food Plant Based Diet with no oil, some of my labs actually got worse. In hindsight, I think it was because some of the foods I was eating (dates, short grain brown rice and melons) have a higher glycemic index. When I cut down on the dates (from 3 or 4 to 2 a day), changed to brown Basmati rice and cut out the melons, my labs improved (even with the olive oil--which he would not approve of). I hope I get a chance to show those labs to him.... I am quite proud of my recent lab results. Lowest ever Total Cholesterol.

Other videos worth watching are by Kim Williams, MD, past president of the American College of Cardiology and Chief of Cardiology at Rush University of Chicago. Here is one. Here is a second one.

Finally, here are two good talks by Dr. Robert Ostfeld, a Cardiologist in NY. Talk one is here. Here is talk two.

They are all worth watching....I especially appreciate the thoughtfulness of Dr. Williams and Dr. Ostfeld.

Best,

pamojja

Go vegan. A whole foods plant based diet is the best way to prevent and cure heart disease.

Which just show's that we all have different bio-chemical individualities. I have been vegan since 10 years of age - no meat, fish, eggs or any added fats. With 41 years of age my abdominal aorta bifurcation developed a 80% blockage, and got a 60% walking-disabilty from that PAD.

After 6 years of adding in fish, eggs, loads of healthy fats again (in fact up to 70% of calorie intake from fat), and Orthomolecular medicine reversed that disability.

keenly

Check out a book by Dr Esselstyn called "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease- The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition Based Cure"

Vegan? Lol HELL NO

Veganism is terrible for us.

prioris

Vegan? Lol HELL NO

Veganism is terrible for us.

Personally I would like to go all vegan. It was always something I wanted to do from a very early age. I'd like to minimize the predator-prey paradigm on earth. On the other hand, I was so sick from an early age that just finding something to eat and wouldn't make me sick was a battle. Another factor is that all the people around me had meat diets so had a lack of knowledge in cooking vegetarian not to mention too sick to cook much. India has the best vegetarian meals in terms of taste. When your sick, unless your adapted to it, it is not an easy path. I knew many people who said if they don't get animal protein, they get sick.

There is complexity to eating, that's why the ideal diet would be - don't eat anything while maintaining health. Closest thing I have seen is Sun gazing - getting your energy from Sun. Your suppose to look at the Sun during sun rise and sun set at time when ultraviolet radiation is lowest while grounding oneself. NASA researched has shown one guy did it successfully. They followed him around. Not sure how well he maintained weight. The biggest barrier for people is dealing with the weather while sitting out side. One benefit shown from anecdotal reports is better health. Probably because we are not eating toxins. If I was healthy to begin with, maybe I'd experiment, I'm too old to even ponder it any more.

As the Sun's magnetic field weakens, people will have more heart attacks.

If your a Sasquatch or even Dogman, you will need some meat diet. They eat mainly deer.

prioris

One other problem that one as to be aware of for the heart are geomagnetic storms. They correlate with increased heart attacks. Earth's magnetic shield has weakened and the grand solar minimum has arrived. Even the amount of time astronauts can spend in space has greatly lessened. Any ideas how to protect against the geomagnetic effects..

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/grand-solar-minimum-will-make-earth-colder.57079/

Medical statistics for Moscow show that 70% of all micro variations, caused by geomagnetic disturbances, are accompanied by an abnormally high incidence of heart attacks (a growth of about 13%), and blood-strokes (7.5% growth). The low and extremely low frequency electromagnetic fields destabilize the heartbeat, leading to a sudden death or infarction.
Medical experts have finally explained why heart attacks take a heavy toll before a magnetic storm - because micro variations begin 24 hours before the storm.

http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/strokeaha/45/6/1639.full.pdf

Of 16.9 million new strokes currently happening in the world every year, almost a half million of
these strokes could be attributed to geomagnetic storms. Our study suggests that geomagnetic activity should be considered along with other well-established risk factors for stroke. Our
findings warrant further methodologically robust research in the area, including research into the biological mechanisms (pathogenesis) of the triggering effect of geomagnetic activ-
ity and developing new strategies to diminish the hazardous effects of geomagnetic storms on stroke occurrence.

Last edited:

prioris

I experienced a blood clot a couple weeks ago in both legs. My feet blew up sometime within week. There was no way I would ever seek conventional treatment. So I took Lumbrokinase (Doctors Best brand) with cup of water 3 times a day and my feet went back to normal in less than a week. Lumbrokinase is a much more powerful fibrinolytic than nattokinase... 80 time more powerful. Nattokinase is for milder problems. The reason one takes a full cup of water with lumbrokinase is to minimize effect of acids in stomach on capsule which is not enteric coated and get it to the intestines sooner.

Being chronically ill and nearly 64 years old, I think I am very prone to hypercoagulation. I think it is causing other problems in my body so I will take it every day as part of maintenance. I also take serrapeptase also to help prevent internal scarring and clean blood.

As an aside, I consider Beta Glucan (activated 1,3d is active ingredient) the most important thing for my immune system. Wellmune is most popular brand which contains 70% of active ingredient. I take one that has 85% active ingredient. That's first thing I take when I wake up.

Archie

I did not read all messages, did anyone mention distilled water ? I believe it is good for arteries/heart .Distilled water detox body from toxins, and all have to do is drinking it everyday . Becouse it is a solvent, it will remove calcification and detox blood also.

I drink only distilled water . I know there is wiews that drinking distilled water is dangerous, i dont see it that way. The minerals that are in normal tap water or even spring water are inorganic, body cant use them , so we get minerals from food , which do have organic form minerals.

Last edited:

prioris

I did not read all messages, did anyone mention distilled water ? I believe it is good for arteries/heart .Distilled water detox body from toxins, and all have to do is drinking it everyday . Becouse it is a solvent, it will remove calcification and detox blood also.

I drink only distilled water . I know there is wiews that drinking distilled water is dangerous, i dont see it that way. The minerals that are in normal tap water or even spring water are inorganic, body cant use them , so we get minerals from food , which do have organic form minerals.

I use a berkey water filter. I think chlorine and floridation need to be avoided. I am neutral on distilled water. One disadvantage to distilled is that it requires electricity to run.

I bought the mini Swiss Wave to add energy into the water. Cost around $15 I think. The water in your blood is different than regular water. It tries to mimic what nature does and create the kind of water in blood. It uses magnets to change the water. It does recommend distilled water but I just use regular water

It's useful to read entire thing when you are over 50 years old. Half the people who die of heart attacks have no warning that something is wrong with their health.

Last edited:

Timaca

I love talks by Dr. Kim Williams, past president of the American College of Cardiology and current chief of cardiology at Rush University Medical center. Here is a quick 45 minute talk by him given at the Cleveland Vegfest. The audio isn't the best, especially at the beginning, but it gets better. He discusses what drives cardiovascular disease and how to avoid having it. There are lots of talks on YouTube featuring him.