• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do i trust?

out2lunch

Thanks, Hip. I just got prescribed a probiotic by KDM and it's full of Lactobacillus, which I don't tolerate well.
Are you certain about not tolerating any form of Lactobacillus? Or is it just the ones producing D-Lactate?

One of the better probiotics I take is Jarrow Ideal Bowel Support. It's L. plantarum 299v, which doesn't produce D-Lactate.

Other L. species with this capability are salivarius and rhamnosus, found in Custom Probiotics D-Lactate Powder.

Which particular strains of Lactobacillus are in that probiotic that KDM prescribed?

Bob

Other L. species with this capability are salivarius
I had a major reaction to L salivarius and it had devastating consequences for my ME so I strongly recommend that everyone avoid it. I think it acts a bit like an antibiotic, in that it kills off other gut flora, which is why it's sometimes recommended for diarrhoea caused by food bacteria.

out2lunch

I had a major reaction to L salivarius and it had devastating consequences for my ME so I strongly recommend that everyone avoid it. I think it acts a bit like an antibiotic, in that it kills off other gut flora, which is why it's sometimes recommended for diarrhoea caused by food bacteria.
That's interesting. I've used two different probiotic formulas with salivarius in them, and didn't have any negative reactions. Then again, before I took these probiotics, I had very severe IBS-D bordering on steatorrhea. Daily dumps of stinky sticky goo is not fun. :vomit: Ten days of Xifaxan and the new probiotics cleaned up my gut nicely. :)

JaimeS

Are you certain about not tolerating any form of Lactobacillus? Or is it just the ones producing D-Lactate?

One of the better probiotics I take is Jarrow Ideal Bowel Support. It's L. plantarum 299v, which doesn't produce D-Lactate.

Other L. species with this capability are salivarius and rhamnosus, found in Custom Probiotics D-Lactate Powder.

Which particular strains of Lactobacillus are in that probiotic that KDM prescribed?

I actually asked about this on another forum. I'm so confused about certain things, and the human body is so incredibly complex.

Since this conversation does not relate to the original content of this thread, I am moving my answer here.

sparklehoof

Well, I just read the first page, and to summarize:

1) Clostridium is a probiotic and it's awesome.
2) It increases butyrate while reducing lactate.
3) It's available on Amazon here, under the brand Miyarisan (Miss Clever Girl? ADORABLE.)
4) Start low and go slow (que surprise!) Some digestive rumblings are normal at the start, and whenever you up it.
5) For some who have NEVER had betterment of their symptoms, this is the one thing that has helped.

<3

-J
It seems like the Amazon seller is out of Miyarison. I tried going to company's website and sent them a message asking who their retailers are. I also wanted to ask you since you seem very in the know. I'm a little uneasy about the safety of purchasing them on eBay. If you have any ideas that'd be great.

JaimeS

It seems like the Amazon seller is out of Miyarison. I tried going to company's website and sent them a message asking who their retailers are. I also wanted to ask you since you seem very in the know. I'm a little uneasy about the safety of purchasing them on eBay. If you have any ideas that'd be great.

Just to keep searching. I'm taking something totally different, though I might add Clostridium sometime soon, so I'm not sure about sources.

-J

panckage

Honestly there is probably not whole lot we can do except for symptom management. I like drugs/supplements that give me an immediate response. That way I know they help. They've really helped my QOL. Kratom has probably been the biggest help for me (although I've only been using it for 2.5 months thus far)

I know some PWME have talked about doing things that make their illness worse. For me though, if I overexert myself maybe I have problems for a few days, but have never found anything that would gradually make me worse.

I've had a 10 year remission. Also more recently I've had remissions from a few days to a few months in length. That being said these seem to be completely unrelated to anything I do*

*actually there is one thing that helps indirectly. My ME symptoms seemed much worse than they actually were due to body decondtioning. Keeping my body as strong and as in shape as possible has been very important for me to recognise when I have reduced symptoms and can become more active

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Just to keep searching. I'm taking something totally different, though I might add Clostridium sometime soon, so I'm not sure about sources.

-J

Make sure you know what Clostridium you take! I had one of them once and I don't recommend it (difficile).

:eek: