• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do i test for chronic infections

msf

From the webpage:

Testing for VCA IgM should not be performed as a screening procedure on the general population. The predictive value of positive or negative results depends on the pretest likelihood of Epstein-Barr-associated disease being present. Testing should only be performed when clinical evidence suggests the diagnosis of this síndrome.

So, I think this would be considered as evidence for reactivation if you had some symptoms associated with EBV reactivation.

Gingergrrl

I´m not an expert, but I think some doctors would say it´s evidence for reactivation.

Thanks and one of my docs believes it is re-activation but I tried anti-virals and they did not help me. Was just curious when I saw this thread but overall, am no longer pursuing treatment for herpes viruses.

Gingergrrl

The Mayo site interpretation infers you have a past infection: (they only use 3 test values)

Thanks and I tend to think it is picking up on past infection as well and that my immune system is just cranking out antibodies but EBV is just a red herring and not the real problem to address.