Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How can we help accelerate Dr Naviaux's ME/CFS Suramin trial?

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects' started by Jesse2233, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Tally

Tally Senior Member

I agree in general, but not in the context of Suramin, which is what we are discussing here. Some people are worried about turning cell danger response off if there is an active infection.

sb4 and junkcrap50 like this.
  2. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Senior Member

Correct, and I agree. But I was replying more in the context of Lipkin's research.

3. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I'll be dead and buried long before there is evidence that would have satisfied the IOM that would help me. I'll go with what the existing evidence (and my and my doctors own evidence) says now, thanks.

Learner1, Sancar and pibee like this.
  4. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

This is wrong and is a dangerous assumption to make. Detectable enteroviral viremia in body fluids is not the norm even during acute infection and chronic infection in humans is undeniable. During chronic infection of the CNS in immunocompetent people, the CSF is almost always clear of virus and only a biopsy of the brain tissue can show the infection. This has been demonstrated numerous times in published case studies (1,2).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    sb4, alkt, pattismith and 1 other person like this.
  5. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Senior Member

You're right. I simplified it too much. You're very much correct. I'll edit it.

6. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

"We are hopeful that the new supplier of suramin will, in the long run, offer a simpler path forward and fewer potential delays in testing. If future clinical trials show that suramin is safe and effective in treating ME/CFS, then the FDA will have all they need to make a decision on approval in a shorter period of time than before. Ultimately, this means that the drug can become available for patients with ME/CFS faster than was possible before," said Dr. Naviaux.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/omf-winter-newsletter.57593/

sb4, Sancar and ScottTriGuy like this.
  7. adamjfpickering

adamjfpickering

Update: All people who used the drug suramin and whose symptoms were ME/CFS failed. My personal connection who was diagnosed with ME/CFS was misdiagnosed and was tested for bartonella/babesiosis and in fact that is the cause of the ME like symptoms.

sb4, ScottTriGuy, Aroa and 2 others like this.
  8. Tally

Tally Senior Member

Suramin is currently only approved in Africa to treat African sleeping sickness. Outside of Africa, it is only available for research purposes, and as you can see for trom this thread it is difficult for researchers to get their hands on it as well. It's cytotoxic if it's not injected slowly, so you need someone who is experienced with giving suramin. Where did this people with ME/CFS supposedly manage to get Suramin administered? I'm sceptical.

We are all aware Lyme disease can cause similar symptoms to ME/CFS. Majority of us who could, got tested. Tests for bacteria causing Lyme are not very reliable though, but unless one lives in high-incidence area or until better tests are available damaging mitochondria with blind antibiotic treatment is not very smart.

9. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    I am one of the persons @adamjfpickering mentioned. I took 2 x 1g Suramin 3 weeks apart. The last one was a month ago. I haven't had any improvement. I didn't have any side effects either, other than a mild headache lasted a few days after the first injection.

I am the only one who used research version of suramin from this company, others got their suramin from other manufacturers.

Of course, this doesn't prove anything about its effectiveness for ME. We still need to see metabolomics studies before and after injections. Maybe the proposed dose is too low for ME patients.

My ME is slow onset type developed over 16 years. My PEM starts 48 hours after exertion. I have every single ME symptom in CCC other than tender lymph nodes.

[​IMG]

ETA: I introduced myself as a researcher to be able to buy suramin. Research chemical companies don't sell products to patients.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
    sb4, GodGenghis, Sushi and 7 others like this.
  10. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    @adamjfpickering @melihtas

In the bedside chat with @Ben H, Ron Davis says that the research version of suramin is unpure and that only the Bayer version will suffice

Were these other patients using Bayer suramin or the research chemical available online?

sb4, Tally and ScottTriGuy like this.
  11. MartinDH

MartinDH Senior Member

I think that should be forwarded to Davis and Naviaux

Tally and ScottTriGuy like this.
  12. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    Others used research version of suramin from other manufacturers. Bayer suramin is not available anywhere in the world. Only WHO has it but they give it to African Sleeping Sickness patients only.

Ron Davis said impurities might be causing side effects, he didn't say anything about their effectiveness in that video. He also said leftover products from old trials are circulating in the market, however, the suramin I bought was a fresh batch. Research chemical companies don't sell old products.

13. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    I see, thanks for clarifying. To be clear no one used the Bayer version. To be honest, I don’t know enough about the research vs Bayer versions to say whether one is less effective. But my limited understanding of pharmaceuticals tells me that effects can vary between manufacturers.

Regardless, props to you for being a pioneer and sharing your experience. I’m sure it took a lot courage to go forward with the first dose.

Sancar and ScottTriGuy like this.
  14. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    I've heard of people going to mexico for suramin

Sancar and ScottTriGuy like this.
  15. Aroa

Aroa

Spain
    I think if they were really confident Suramine may work, they would have already conducted a clinical trial.

The supply issue seems to me an excuse, for just a pilot study as the one made for Autism by Dr. Naviaux.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  16. Tally

Tally Senior Member

Who? Bayer? That's not how it works.

It's not an excuse, Dr. Naviaux explained he intends to do three phases of trials that could take up to a decade. See how long it took to get to phase iii with Rituximab. Interruptions in the supply could really slow the whole process. Dr. Davis who only intends to do small phase i trial on 5 patients will do it this year.

Why immediately cast doubt without any evidence?

I agree with @MartinDH, Dr. Davis and Dr. Naviaux should know about this.

@Ben H @Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

GodGenghis likes this.
  17. dreamydays

dreamydays

United Kingdom
    This is disappointing news. I was in the planning stages of also trying this. I have a few ideas in the pipeline. I have found a source for tocilizumab so will work on that as a project for a trial at home if I need to trial a new drug. I would like the OMF to at least consider tocilizumab for some lab tests.

What I have to say is fair play to you all for going ahead and trying this. There is no way we should just lie in our beds waiting for new treatments while our bodies are rotting away from the insides. So much respect to you all.

18. markiz2001

markiz2001

Bayer refused to give suramin to dr. naviaux for the trial. Looks like no trial this year. So disappointed..

Also disappointed it didn' work for the few people who tried it.

There is no hope

19. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    What do you think it will do to help us?

20. dreamydays

dreamydays

United Kingdom
    It is the best drug for treating fatigue caused by RA. By removing IL-6 it will cause changes in other cytokine levels hopefully lowering TGF-b1 and other cytokines which may be disfunctional. More importantly it increases levels of krebs cycle metabolites, gluathione and PDH. There has been one forum member who trialled it and it was a success but they have since disappeared. It seems a good candidate for a pilot.

Here is the thread about it: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/tocilizumab-is-amazing-anyone-tried.51976/

sb4 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.