• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How accurate is a taste test for diagnosing iodine deficiency?

I took iodoral for 3 months gradually increasing my dose until I hit 50 mg per day. For the past month I've been taking nascent iodine which I heard your body prefers and I've noticed a little more energy.

Starting two days ago I also added potassium iodide liquid made by the company sensible supplements. They have a taste n score chart, it pretty much says that if the potassium iodide is tasteless than you are deficient in it and should add more. I took 10 drops (1000 mcg total) and didn't taste anything. I would like to know if anybody knows how accurate this method of testing is. Here is a link to the product I bought. https://www.amazon.com/Potassium-Su...77715&sr=8-6&keywords=potassium+iodide+liquid

I know I was deficient in the past because I did patch test but never an oral test. It is strange to me that after taking all that I knew that I would still be deficient.

Also, is there any benefit of taking potassium iodide over nascent iodine?

Wishful

I wasn't aware that it could be not tasted. I've only tasted it as tincture of iodine, which has iodine as well as KI, and I've always noticed a strong 'iodine' taste, even when I was most likely somewhat deficient.

As far as I can tell, nascent iodine is just a marketing scam. It claims to be monatomic iodine, but that doesn't make sense (it's unstable and would quickly bond to other iodine atoms as well as other atoms). Please read the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nascent_iodine_(dietary_supplement) which should put any doubts about its quackery to rest.