• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hornig/Lipkin cytokine study out now - press release

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Well, I doubt it´s significant with such a small sample size, but the trend seems to be for responders to have had a longer duration of illness. Also, if the phase 3 one is restricted to those who have been ill for between 2 and 15 years, it still won´t answer the question of whether this is an intervention that will work in the first two years of illness.
That's just it - the sample size is far too small to draw a conclusion. 4 of the 29 patients had duration 3 years of less, and 3 2 of those patients did not respond, one had a reaction to treatment and did not continue. It takes just one of them to be a responder to almost balance the period of illness duration and then you wouldn't even be thinking about a trend.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Umm, how about the stats that Scarecrow just posted?

Thanks for listening.
They're just simple means based on 18 responders, 10 non responders and one did not complete. Note that I've recalculated because I did not notice that one of the 4 short duration patients had withdrawn.

Umm, how about the stats that Scarecrow just posted?

Thanks for listening.

In a cohort of 30 patients one or two long durations in either category can easily skew the averages. I dont think averages provide any useful data. In fact i would say they should almost be ignored unless dealing with very large sets.

I have not learnt that much since the last post I fear! I think it stands. Dr Cambridge has certainly picked up on the 3 year time point idea and her lab has been looking at stratifying that way. I don't have any information about results though.

Just curious, would rtx patients who relapse have similar biological profile to those of short duration or long duration ? In other words would the response reset the system or not ?
Has this been looked at ?